Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a custom build Mojo SL on order with UK supplier Stif. My fully rigid Cannondale Killer-V has lasted twelve years, but it is finally being swapped into the role of commuter bike. I'm looking forward to stepping into the world of disc brakes and full suspension.

While waiting for my Ibis to arrive, I've been checking out the forums here... It's great to see such intimate contact between the people running Ibis and their overwhelmingly happy customers! Anyway, I've lost count of how many times I've looked at the same Mojo SL pictures on the Internet. I need to pass the time while waiting for my new bike, so feel free to post news on your delivery dates, bike specifications, thoughts on component choice, and other ideas into this thread. How am I going to survive the wait for that phone call from the bike shop?

- Matt

·
Church of the Wheel
749 Posts
I went seriously overboard on my SL build, and am now transitioning from the guy that I used to hate, because he had a better bike than mine, and better than he deserved, to the guy that other people will probably hate, because I have a better bike than theirs, and better than I deserve. Build on clear matte frame as follows:

Fox TALAS RLC fork
Magura Marta SL brakes, red, with carbon levers, 180 front, 160 rear
SRAM X.0 triggers and Rear Derailleur
XTR Front Derailleur
FSA K-Force Light hollow carbon crankset with ceramic bearing BB
Cane Creek IS-8 headset with carbon cap
FSA OS-115 stem with carbon faceplate
Easton Monkeylite XC carbon bars
Easton EC90 carbon seatpost
Selle Italia SLR Trans Am Gel Flow saddle
Kenda Nevegal UST's mounted on
Mavic CrossMax ST wheels, to run wider tires than SLR's

As you can see, I got carbon on the brain. Would have loved to put on some DT Swiss XRC 1250 wheels, but not at $3000+ for the set. Ouch.

I'll post pics, promise.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My Specification

I went a bit crazy on my build too, but how often are you going to buy a bike like this?

Fox Forx 32 Float RLC
Shimano XTR Parts Selection (trigger shifters, shadow rear mech)
Easton CNT SL Flat Bars
Thompson X4 Stem
Avid Juicy Ultimate Brakes
Chris King Hubs, Mavic 717 Rims
Salsa Flipoff Skewers
Eggbeaters 4Ti Pedals
Selle Italia SLR Saddle
Panaracer Trailraker 2.1 Tyres

Would have liked a slightly lighter fork on the front, but the Fox seems a sensible choice. 2008 forks seem to be getting great reviews with the new internals. DTSwiss/Pace forks don't look like they'll be around in quantity until the spring, and Manitou's new design is unproven and a little harder to get hold of here in the UK.

Post pictures and experiences when you have them!

- Matt

·
Green Mojo
216 Posts
I love seeing this anticipation. I was in your shoes a year ago, waiting for my Mojo to arrive. I remember specing, re-specing, and re-re-specing my bike ten times while waiting for it to arrive. I also remember the call from the LBS when it arrived. I could not sleep the night before going in to pick it up. Since receiving the bike, it has been even more fun. Enjoy the anticipation - I know you will love the bike!

·
Registered
536 Posts
Pimp my ride,
Anyone know which seat binder the sl ships with ? There seems to be some confusion here.
For marketing it was weighed with the silk binder but pics show regular binder anodized. But, I was looking to order the weight weenie binder from website and read this:

"Superlight Binder found on the Mojo SL"
http://store.nexternal.com/shared/S...reType=BtoC&Count1=405437648&Count2=322578072
Well, when is it found on the mojsl ; after I order it seperate or before?:idea:

Oh yea, and anyone know seat collar size is it 34,9 ?
Speaking of weight weenie, I'm looking at some alum bolts such as for headset bolt and water bottle bolt:rolleyes: That might be okay place for em. Now, rotor bolts emmmmm I may stick with ti.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
Indulge more: DT Fork

mtb143 said:
I went seriously overboard on my SL build, and am now transitioning from the guy that I used to hate, because he had a better bike than mine, and better than he deserved, to the guy that other people will probably hate, because I have a better bike than theirs, and better than I deserve. Build on clear matte frame as follows:

Fox TALAS RLC fork
Magura Marta SL brakes, red, with carbon levers, 180 front, 160 rear
SRAM X.0 triggers and Rear Derailleur
XTR Front Derailleur
FSA K-Force Light hollow carbon crankset with ceramic bearing BB
Cane Creek IS-8 headset with carbon cap
FSA OS-115 stem with carbon faceplate
Easton Monkeylite XC carbon bars
Easton EC90 carbon seatpost
Selle Italia SLR Trans Am Gel Flow saddle
Kenda Nevegal UST's mounted on
Mavic CrossMax ST wheels, to run wider tires than SLR's

As you can see, I got carbon on the brain. Would have loved to put on some DT Swiss XRC 1250 wheels, but not at $3000+ for the set. Ouch.

I'll post pics, promise.
At least you did not get the new DT EXC 150 Fork http://www.dtswiss.com/Products/Suspension/DT-Swiss-Forks/EXC-Forks.aspx

A suggestion about the saddle. Instead of the Flite Gel get a WTB Silverado, 185 grams and the most confortable saddle I ever owned (I am 150).

I personally would go Thomson stem instead of FSA, and plasma shifters with XTR shadow.

·
Church of the Wheel
749 Posts
Davide said:
At least you did not get the new DT EXC 150 Fork http://www.dtswiss.com/Products/Suspension/DT-Swiss-Forks/EXC-Forks.aspx

A suggestion about the saddle. Instead of the Flite Gel get a WTB Silverado, 185 grams and the most confortable saddle I ever owned (I am 150).

I personally would go Thomson stem instead of FSA, and plasma shifters with XTR shadow.
Believe me, I stared for a long, long time at the DT fork. In a way it's good that it's not as readily available as the Fox, so as to remove that particular temptation. I went back and forth over the Thomson/FSA stem question too, and finally decided on the FSA more for the carbon bling factor than for anything. Thomson stems are flawless, but FSA makes good stuff too. The Shadow RD also looks good, but I wanted to build something as Shimano free as possible, and I've heard/read a lot of good things about the X.0 stuff. If only SRAM's front derailleur was as reputable as their other bits, I'd be totally Shimano free.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have most of these parts in boxes waiting for early next month when the frame is supposed to show.

Mojo SL (gray + blue links)
Duc32 fork, 70mm stem
cane creek IS-2
Monkeylite SL
thompson masterpiece seat post
Avid Ultimate 180/160
XT 770 crankset
XT shifters
XT 761 front
XTR 970 rear SGS (this is one sweet piece of kit)
ESI chunky grips
Chris King hubs (blue) with ZTR arch, supercomp spokes, blue nipples
Eggbeater SL
HG-93 chain

for tires I have smallblock eights, a set of resolution pros and some nokian extreme 294s (because even though it is January in Montana that won't stop me from taking this thing out once it is built)

no seat yet... can't make up my mind and I have to have an excuse to go back to the bike shop...

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Other bits

I've had to make a concerted effort not to hassle the bike shop every week with tweaks and changes to the specification...

It's a shame Chris King don't dig the IS headset stuff. The King headset on my Cannondale is best part of six years old; it's still as silky smooth as the day I bought it and I've never had to strip it down or otherwise adjust it. Cane Creek have a new model on their site, the 110:

http://www.canecreek.com/cane-creek-110-headset-2.html

I've asked the shop if they can get hold of this in time to make it in my build.

I'm not familiar with the "plasma" shifters? Anybody got a link?

- Matt

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
mattwatkins said:
I've had to make a concerted effort not to hassle the bike shop every week with tweaks and changes to the specification...

It's a shame Chris King don't dig the IS headset stuff. The King headset on my Cannondale is best part of six years old; it's still as silky smooth as the day I bought it and I've never had to strip it down or otherwise adjust it. Cane Creek have a new model on their site, the 110:

I've asked the shop if they can get hold of this in time to make it in my build.

- Matt
I've ordered a FSA Orbit carbon. I'm worried about the head tube with the IS as top of head tube is the bearing cup.
http://mtb.fullspeedahead.com/fly.aspx?layout=product&taxid=138&pid=264
I hope this is a good choice.http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=325461&highlight=fsa+orbit+mojo
Though, this sounds good
http://www.canecreek.com/cane-creek-110-is-headset.html
and I like the anodized colors.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Pimp my ride,
Anyone know which seat binder the sl ships with ? There seems to be some confusion here.
For marketing it was weighed with the silk binder but pics show regular binder anodized. But, I was looking to order the weight weenie binder from website and read this:

"Superlight Binder found on the Mojo SL"
http://store.nexternal.com/shared/St...unt2=322578072
Well, when is it found on the mojsl ; after I order it seperate or before?

Oh yea, and anyone know seat collar size is it 34,9 ?
Speaking of weight weenie, I'm looking at some alum bolts such as for headset bolt and water bottle bolt That might be okay place for em. Now, rotor bolts emmmmm I may stick with ti.
I too would like an answer to this one too. The website pictures everywhere shows the standard cool heavy binder good for people that adjust seat allot maybe downhill, but website says MojSL ano 15 gram seat collar.
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=3592296#poststop So I think the answer is ships with fixed silk binder.
So seat binder change - 50 grams cause at the show the one pasta weighed with the quick release did not have the upper and lower ti pins in for shock mount.
If you're going to do anSL ya gotta man up with the weight weenies.:cornut: Some of actual benifits of the frame itself 130 grams (.28~ lb) lighter (come on now ! gotta g i t that down to 1/2 pound for 600 bucks upcharge !) but, no more alum galvanization issues with seat tube insert, 37% uh moduls carbon front and rear adds about 5% stiffer frame and really cool hard a s s paint. Did I leave anything out ? :???:
Btw, I think alum rotor bolts are fine as long as you don't over torque. Use a torgue wrench for all weigth weenism build ups. I'll guarantee you can do another 1/2 pound on wtf build with out getting too crazy and compromising the ride ie fork/shock/tires. (see pastas's website) Say maybe stem + bolts, seatpost + bolts, Cable housing, replace all bearing with ceramic and that would pretty much do it. About 21 pounds for the best riding 5" travel bike in the world. :aureola:

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Mojo SL Fixed Seat Binder

We made a little beefier version of the seat binder with an M6 Ti bolt for a 5 MM Allan wrench. It is tough and light and looks better than the Silk Binder on the Mojo. They JUST arrived and look excellent. I think the one I weighed was 14 or 15 g.

The first 55 Mojo SLs arrived on Friday afternoon. (*starting to ship out next week*)
I test assembled the first one and it went together perfectly and looks stunning! Nice and lightweight too. On Friday we put together a Large Mojo SL / WTF group for Outside Magazine to test.

:drumroll:

21.8 lbs, without pedals in a size large using an Ultimate scale. We're thrilled with the bike and are looking forward to getting them out to you :thumbsup:

H

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
starting to ship out next week*
Now that good news for some riders :D. Lets hope one of em will be posting thier bikes in Post your Mojo pics here thread :D

Not good news for me though cause I still not yet able to own even a Mojo. Haha

·
Registered
536 Posts
The first 55 Mojo SLs arrived on Friday afternoon. (*starting to ship out next week*)
I test assembled the first one and it went together perfectly and looks stunning! Nice and lightweight too. On Friday we put together a Large Mojo SL / WTF group for Outside Magazine to test.
Way, cool but I'm back-ordered till feb. :cryin: :incazzato: Anyway info for you guys, if anyone is interested in the remote control for the shock that comes with sl. It can be ordered thru you're dealer only they can call:
DT USA Swiss Inc.
2493 Industrial Blvd
Grand Junction, CO 81505
970-242-9232
http://www.dtswiss.com/Products/Accessories/Suspension_Accessories/XM-XR-Remote-Control.aspx They are supposed to have just got some in U.S.
That might be a cool one for Ibis store if people end up using it enough. I know I'll be flippin the lil lever for climbs till I get the remote. But, at this point I still may put the Pushed Rp3 I have for it.
Well, I'll come up with more junk later as I have plenty of time to pimp up my ride.:cool:

·
Registered
536 Posts
mattwatkins said:

- Matt
plasma are sram gripshifts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Dt $

any idea how much these are gonna cost?

My 2008 DT MSRP price sheet doesn't list them.

The shock lists for 610.00

el:thumbsup:

·
Registered
194 Posts
I just got a call from my LBS (Cal Coast Cycles in S.D.) my Mojo SL frame is coming in on Wednesday!!!! I placed the order in early October. I'm going to build this baby ENDURO STYLE !!!! A true aggressive ALL MOUNTAIN BIKE Here's my build:

2008 (M) Mojo SL Matte Clear w/DHX
2008 Fox 36 TALAS RC2
XTR everything including SHADOW RD
Easton ec 70 Monkey Lite Bars & ec 90 seatpost
MAVIC 819 UST w/ Chris King Hubs
Formula PURO brakes 180/160
Kenda Nevegal tires
Fizik Aliante saddle

I tried to post some pix of some of this components I have but was unable. Can some one PM me and show me how to upload pixs. That way when I put this bad boy together I can post a pix of it.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Wow thats a sweet build dude. Okay erm bout the post a pix thing, I suggest you use photobucket and upload ur pics into it and use the IMG code to post it in

1 - 20 of 98 Posts