Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Evil Jr.
Joined
·
6,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you may have noticed, I've assumed the role of Race Director for this year's Good Friday Road Race. Although I've only been at it since early December, it sure has been interesting. :eek:

I know some of you here run your own races but many don't. So, as a service to those curious about what goes on behind the scenes, I will share all the fun I'm having getting this thing going for this year. :)

First things first: the PRESS RELEASE:

The Hamilton Cycling Club said:
Good Friday Road Race - Something Old & Something New

For the past few months, rumours have swirled around the fate of the Hamilton Cycling Club's venerable Good Friday Road Race. The worst kept secret may have been its proposed new location: downtown Dundas. While we had the support of the City and the BIA, in the end the cost of policing put that course out of reach… for now.

Undeterred, the HCC is taking the race back to Strabane for 2011. We are tweaking things slightly this year into a "furious rectangle", consisting of 5th Concession West and Westover, Safari and Brock Roads. Not to worry, the drumlins you love to hate are still the defining feature of the course.

Easter comes late this year, putting Good Friday on April 22nd which all but ensures fantastic weather for Ontario's only true Spring Classic.

Not sure you want to race? There are plenty of opportunities to volunteer. We need everything from drivers for each race, to registration officials and course marshals. Every volunteer gets a meal and drivers are reimbursed for their gas.

Not only is Good Friday one of the most anticipated events on the Ontario road race calendar, it is the Hamilton Cycling Club's main fund raising event. Everyone that takes part, as either a racer or volunteer, makes a significant contribution to our many worthwhile programs, from Youth Development to Trail Construction.

Entering the race is easy, just visit the OCA website and click away to your heart's content. If you're interested in volunteering in any capacity, all you have to do is drop me a line at marcrisdale (at) gmail (dot) com and I'll find the spot that's right for you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
845 Posts
garage monster said:
As some of you may have noticed, I've assumed the role of Race Director for this year's Good Friday Road Race. Although I've only been at it since early December, it sure has been interesting. :eek:

I know some of you here run your own races but many don't. So, as a service to those curious about what goes on behind the scenes, I will share all the fun I'm having getting this thing going for this year. :)

First things first: the PRESS RELEASE:
That's really too bad about the Sydenham course. I was really looking forward to it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
845 Posts
Nerdgirl said:
You can still come to the HCC hill climbs! Who knows - you might need the practice for next year...
Long way to travel for a training race. We've got some good tough climbs out near us too. Good luck with GFRR. As with every race, every year, put me down for a solid maybe.
 

·
Evil Jr.
Joined
·
6,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HSCoach2 said:
That's really too bad about the Sydenham course. I was really looking forward to it.
We were all really pumped about that course but trying something that ambitious has been a great learning experience. Both the City and Police were very helpful and took the time to explain to us what made it so expensive. We already have plenty of ideas to minimize the cost next year. Even on a simple course, policing eats up a MAJOR part of the budget. :eek:

That being said, we're still aiming to make this year's GFRR a super-fun event. All the sub-contractors we're talking to are top-notch. I'm really looking forward to it (and wearing a snazzy reflective vest and using a walkie-talkie all day...)! :)
 

·
Ms. Monster
Joined
·
1,812 Posts
garage monster said:
That being said, we're still aiming to make this year's GFRR a super-fun event. All the sub-contractors we're talking to are top-notch. I'm really looking forward to it (and wearing a snazzy reflective vest and using a walkie-talkie all day...)! :)
Perhaps you can bring some of the mountain bike fun into a roadie event... :eek:
 

·
Evil Jr.
Joined
·
6,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nerdgirl said:
Perhaps you can bring some of the mountain bike fun into a roadie event... :eek:
We're already talking kids race. Maybe I can enlist Chico and Matt to work the mud pit... :D
 

·
Ms. Monster
Joined
·
1,812 Posts
I've been trying to think what would make roadies happy.

Powertap challenge? Cadence competitions? Teeter totters? Arm wrestling? Easter egg primes? Helmet decoration that looks most like an Easter egg?
 

·
bi-winning
Joined
·
11,109 Posts
garage monster said:
We were all really pumped about that course but trying something that ambitious has been a great learning experience. Both the City and Police were very helpful and took the time to explain to us what made it so expensive. We already have plenty of ideas to minimize the cost next year. Even on a simple course, policing eats up a MAJOR part of the budget. :eek:
If only you could have a bicycle race, without using roads. That would be cool I think. :)

Good luck making Good Frday one of the gooder road races around.
 

·
Team NFI
Joined
·
5,303 Posts
Nerdgirl said:
I've been trying to think what would make roadies happy.

Powertap challenge? Cadence competitions? Teeter totters? Arm wrestling? Easter egg primes? Helmet decoration that looks most like an Easter egg?
Hmm... who can take the highest volt TASER Shot Challenge?
 

·
Evil Jr.
Joined
·
6,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
jmoote said:
GM, I heard talk of fully closed roads this time around (or at least a rolling closure i.e. no yellow line). Truth?

I am glad you've taken the ambitious task of race director on.
For procedural reasons, we've had to resubmit the course map and we won't know all the final policing details until we get their revised quote. However, I'm almost positive that Concession 5 will be a full. Others *might* be partial but probably full. Rolling isn't even on the table.

Problems with the yellow line (you know who you are) last year had a dramatic influence on our policing costs this year. C'est la vie! :)
 

·
veldrijder
Joined
·
1,083 Posts
garage monster said:
Problems with the yellow line (you know who you are) last year had a dramatic influence on our policing costs this year. C'est la vie! :)
Right, BUT only in Canada and to a lesser extent in the US do people race bikes on open roads. Try explaining the "yellow line rule" to someone from Europe.
 

·
gentle like
Joined
·
14,837 Posts
jmoote said:
Right, BUT only in Canada and to a lesser extent in the US do people race bikes on open roads. Try explaining the "yellow line rule" to someone from Europe.
But ... none of you are from/have ever raced in Europe, nej?

Edit: ... can we thus call such a remark a moote point?
 

·
veldrijder
Joined
·
1,083 Posts
kept man said:
Edit: ... can we thus call such a remark a moote point?
Yes.

But ... none of you are from/have ever raced in Europe, nej?
So tell us how it is, at least in Sweden. That said that's not exactly the region I had in mind when I said "Europe"... I don't get the impression road racing is really big in Skandinavian nations, so much as utilitarian use of the bicycle.
 

·
Evil Jr.
Joined
·
6,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
jmoote said:
I don't get the impression road racing is really big in Skandinavian nations, so much as utilitarian use of the bicycle.
*cough*Thor*cough* ;)

Anyhow, the whole yellow line thing only works with full compliance. Last year, people decided (to their detriment, ha!) that they would flout it and now we need full closures. Besides, in Europe, the roads are so freaking narrow, if they only used half of them, everyone would have to race single file! :D
 

·
veldrijder
Joined
·
1,083 Posts
garage monster said:
*cough*Thor*cough* ;)
I don't get the impression he got to where he is racing against other Norwegians in Norway. Well played though.

Besides, in Europe, the roads are so freaking narrow, if they only used half of them, everyone would have to race single file! :D
True, though Concession 6 is not much better (and thankfully that road was always somewhat loosely enforced in prior GFRR editions).

Rather than discussing what road racing in Ontario is or is not (that was certainly done in great detail on the CC forums after last year) it is probably most productive that we go forward with the situation we have. This year's GFRR is sure to be a good one.
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top