Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
humber river advocate
6,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
show your powered ride... or powered ride that you would like to have... though you must be able to carry a bike on it.

here's mine...

though i wish they would sell this...

·
Registered
685 Posts
Here's a challenge, who's got the most kilometrage???

My bike carriers:

98 Honda Civic EX - 380,000 km - Yakima something or other + Sportrack for a capacity of 3 on the roof,

97 Chev K1500 pickup - 235,000 km - 2 QR mounts on a 2x2 in the back

06 Subaru Forester - 135,000 km - Another Yakima something or other on the roof - This one's a little wavy after losing an argument with my mother in law's carport when it was on an 04 Impreza.

Total for 3 vehicles - 750,000 km

I'll have to post pics later, can't find the download cable for the camera.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
My rides.

Subaru!!!!! Only 1 car between my wife and I. I like to fish/canoe/camp in the remote north, great car for that. I try not to show her pictures like this! (Apparently my skid plate is cracked and missing portions. The auto techs gave her a funny/astonished look when she brought it in for service). Have had 4 bikes and 4 people before in the car. Love it. If you are on logging roads in the Timmins/Chapleau area and see a car like mine drifting the corners with a canoe, wasn't me, lots of others. Cars are tools for me, couldn't car about keeping clean or unabused.

I also have one of these. If you are ever on Hwy 144 or 129 and a blue streak with fishing rods hanging off the back goes by. Wasn't me! My old motorcycle had a bike rack, but I haven't sat down with the engineer and fabricator (my father) to design one for this bike. It doesn't seem to have any easy frame mounts in the rear.

·
sock puppet
8,104 Posts
Wait till he puts his full face helmet on and posts some pics of him in his Wrangler in action... You will know you are wrong when you see these pics.

Isn't it kinda funny posting pics of gas guzzlers and trail wreckers on this pro-environment forum?

·
Evil Jr.
6,859 Posts
langford said:
Here's a challenge, who's got the most kilometrage???
Okay, I'll play.

My 2008 Element has 160,000 on it. It replaced a 2006 Element with 180 on the clock which replaced a 2004 Mazda 3 with 150 on it which replaced a 2002 Imprezza with another 150 on it. What do I win? :D

·
I Wanna Be Sedated
764 Posts
My current vehicle just surpassed 20,000km. It's the most mileage I've put on the same car in quite some time. Either I'm driving more lately, or I'm liking this one and have kept it longer. :confused:

·
Registered
685 Posts
garage monster said:
Okay, I'll play.

My 2008 Element has 160,000 on it. It replaced a 2006 Element with 180 on the clock which replaced a 2004 Mazda 3 with 150 on it which replaced a 2002 Imprezza with another 150 on it. What do I win? :D
Well if people are wanting prizes (1st prize is a drive in the 98 Honda to a Hamilton pub for a free beer! - and sorry, we have to have 2 prize rules too - 1. prize is only available if the Honda is still running by the time we declare a champion and 2. this prize is available only within the City of Hamilton limits, including Flamborough), I guess we'll have to have contest rules. You have to still own and drive the vehicle(s).

Didn't take long to complicate that one, did it?

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
osokolo said:
Isn't it kinda funny posting pics of gas guzzlers and trail wreckers on this pro-environment forum?
Seriously singlesprocket's post on sustainability in trail systems and the such no longer hold any weight.

We used to be a two car household owning a 2005 Hyundia Accent and a 2005 Honda Element. We've since consolidated to a single vehicle 2010 Jeep Patriot. It's the only semi 4x4 vehicle you can get with a 5sp and 4 banger that qualified for the Eco Auto program, we got it just before the program ended here in BC. Easily capable on logging roads with 4 bikes and four people plus camping stuff.

·
Evil Jr.
6,859 Posts
singlesprocket said:
or powered ride that you would like to have...
I can play with the actual topic too. Jouko will recognize this one. It's one of the most heavily flogged pics on another forum we haunt. :D

I have to say shirk, that's the most unusual bike rack I've ever seen. Is it a popular set-up in the land of 8" bikes? :confused:

·
No. Just No.
5,327 Posts
Jouko said:
My current vehicle just surpassed 20,000km. It's the most mileage I've put on the same car in quite some time. Either I'm driving more lately, or I'm liking this one and have kept it longer. :confused:
One might guess that you are slightly better positioned than most of us in terms of keeping yourself in a rotating stream of newer vehicles. ;)

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
garage monster said:
I have to say shirk, that's the most unusual bike rack I've ever seen. Is it a popular set-up in the land of 8" bikes? :confused:
The North Shore Bike Rack is a local invention by a couple here in North Van. It's easily hands down the best rack I've ever used. These things are amazing, it takes less than 30 seconds to load four bikes, the bikes don't touch each other and are held rock solid for even the nastiest of logging / 4x4 roads.

http://www.northshoreracks.com/

·
humber river advocate
6,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
shirk said:
I bet CptSydor's Subie gets more off road abuse than singlesprockets Wrangler. hahahahaha
wow that's hardcore! come out to our club meetings in brampton 6:30pm by shoppers world. i'm sure everyone needs to be schooled on how to offroad...

one of the members testing flex on the ramp

·
Evil Jr.
6,859 Posts
shirk said:
The North Shore Bike Rack is a local invention by a couple here in North Van. It's easily hands down the best rack I've ever used. These things are amazing, it takes less than 30 seconds to load four bikes, the bikes don't touch each other and are held rock solid for even the nastiest of logging / 4x4 roads.

http://www.northshoreracks.com/
Looks neat!

Although, it takes slightly longer than 30 seconds, I can't emphasize how much I love using my Element for shuttling/riding. :thumbsup:

Earlier this year, we loaded 5 bikes (admittedly one was Mrs. Monster's BMX), 3 people and all our gear all the way to Cleveland for a weekend at Ray's. No rack. :)

The earlier Element once shuttled 4 riders and 4 SS 29ers to the start of a 100km Bruce Trail epic. No rack. :)

Don't even get me started on how awesome they are for 24hr races. :eek:

I should sell Hondas! Too bad they're so ugly. :D

·
humber river advocate
6,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
osokolo said:
Wait till he puts his full face helmet on and posts some pics of him in his Wrangler in action... You will know you are wrong when you see these pics.

your point does not hold water. prove that i'm not pro-enviroment because of what i drive.
you've been sniffing sierra club fumes...

·
No. Just No.
5,327 Posts
garage monster said:
Looks neat!

Although, it takes slightly longer than 30 seconds, I can't emphasize how much I love using my Element for shuttling/riding. :thumbsup:
These racks are everywhere out here. At least for anyone who doesn't one a pickup, which seems to be about half of all mountain bikers in BC anyhow. :eek:

Shirk must have the loading technique down a bit better than the couple of people I know. Fast, but not 30 seconds fast to load 4 bikes. That must take talent.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
garage monster said:
Looks neat!

Earlier this year, we loaded 5 bikes (admittedly one was Mrs. Monster's BMX), 3 people and all our gear all the way to Cleveland for a weekend at Ray's. No rack. :)

The earlier Element once shuttled 4 riders and 4 SS 29ers to the start of a 100km Bruce Trail epic. No rack. :)

Don't even get me started on how awesome they are for 24hr races. :eek:

I should sell Hondas! Too bad they're so ugly. :D
The Element is pretty amazing.

I squeezed this into the back with the seats folded up several times out of desperation.

My 2005 Element was written off due to water damage, it was parked in the underground of our building when it burnt down. I would have gotten another one but I'd like to have seen several changes to make it a little more off-road worthy. That gas tank just hanging out with no protection under the driver always scared me. I figured I was going to puncture it on some remote logging road. Also the on demand AWD is great for more situations, but again on logging roads when it gets steep in a low clearance vehicle like that waiting for the fronts to spin before the rear kicks in isn't the best situation.

If Honda would bring the damn diesel to NA and do a redesign on the Element I'll be getting one. I kinda miss my Toaster sometimes. 5sp diesel AWD Honda drooooool.

·
Evil Jr.
6,859 Posts
When we did TransRockies in 2007, Mrs. Monster and I rented a PT Cruiser so she could do support (I was riding with THE Lepper). We jammed all sorts of gear in there including two 29ers and she took it out for day trips while we were out racing.

You'd think "bah, hunk o' junk Chrysler" but it got her up and down innumerable logging roads and various other sketchy propositions. It's like the VW Bug's spiritual heir: the car that just wouldn't quit. She even made it out to the Bugaboos in that little thing! :thumbsup: :eek:

1 - 20 of 98 Posts