Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

841 - 860 of 864 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Specialized Rockhopper Expert 1x / 2010 Specialized Hardrock Disc
105 Posts
Sorry the new Blazer is nothing like the new Bronco. Chevy using the Blazer name on a uni-body generic SUV pissed off a lot of Chevy fans.

Bronco is frame on body 4x4 targeted directly at Jeep Wrangler.

lol I know, my wife loves it though. Looks like the camero, but In SUV trim lol

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
8,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #842
Sorry the new Blazer is nothing like the new Bronco. Chevy using the Blazer name on a uni-body generic SUV pissed off a lot of Chevy fans.

Bronco is body and frame 4x4 targeted directly at Jeep Wrangler.

Just to be clear, GM dropped the Blazer/Jimmy name plate for the Full Size Body on Frame SUV before they stopped making that specific model Once the 4-door Tahoe and Yukon were released, the 2-door was also called the Tahoe and Yukon.

The Blazer and trail blazer nameplate lived on with the smaller SUV's and just took a break before this latest version of the blazer was released. I think GM did a horrible job in relaying this to the public, but the new blazer is a continuation of the old S-10 Blazer and Trailblazer.

GM still has an opportunity to revive the full size 2-door 4x4 with the Tahoe and Yukon names.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
8,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #843
That would be more than boring. I dont even think a second rebore would take it much beyond a 470. Its likely to just have a 460. Anyone with a 460 usually brags about it having a 460. It sounds big and special. I know we told everyone that the little tan f250 had one.

Ci are weird and confuse people as to the origin. There are chevy 400 smallblocks and 396 big blocks. Then chevy made a .030 bore 396 which was a 402. They still called it a 396 in some cars and in other cars called the same motor a “turbo-jet 400”. So you could have two chevys with 400s and not know what you had!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Okay, I finally texted him and got the low down - It was factory 360 bored out to 390.

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
36,124 Posts
Okay, I finally texted him and got the low down - It was factory 360 bored out to 390.
Thanks, makes more sense now. Cool rig I’m sure.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
You cant bore a motor out that far ;)

It would have to be a stroker kit, or just a swapped 390.

Boring engines results in a very limited CU increase. On old school iron motors you usually only bore up to .060. Some of the new school aluminum blocks have “big bore” kits with different drop in iron sleeves

Stroking is where you get your cubes. The kits come with a shorter connecting rods and a crank that has more “travel” or stroke :)

Example. A 302 ford will be about a 308 max when bored out. Any more and the walls get then and engine may run hot. You can buy a 331 or 347 stroker kit. About 4 of those CI come from boring .030, the rest is from the new crank travel/stroke length.

·
36,124 Posts
That would be more than boring. I dont even think a second rebore would take it much beyond a 470. Its likely to just have a 460. Anyone with a 460 usually brags about it having a 460. It sounds big and special. I know we told everyone that the little tan f250 had one.

Ci are weird and confuse people as to the origin. There are chevy 400 smallblocks and 396 big blocks. Then chevy made a .030 bore 396 which was a 402. They still called it a 396 in some cars and in other cars called the same motor a “turbo-jet 400”. So you could have two chevys with 400s and not know what you had!

I missed this post. Yep, I have experienc with all these motors through friends and just reading up on them. The big block 396 was a 402 and vice versa just labeled different for different model vehicles.. I’ve driven 396 Chevelles as well as 402 El Camino and a small block 400 El Camino. All great performers but as you said, confusing to some how they labeled them. The “turbo jet 400” was slang term in reference to the Turbo-Hydramatic 400 auto transmission. The more bomb proof transmission than the 350 auto. My 1969 GTO had that transmission as did all big block GM muscle cars.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Not to start an argument with your buddy but 360 and 390 have the same bore. Comes down to different strokes.

Most trucks usually came with 360s but the joke was that it's a 360 but when it's time to sell they had a 390.

·
36,124 Posts
Not to start an argument with your buddy but 360 and 390 have the same bore. Comes down to different strokes.

Most trucks usually came with 360s but the joke was that it's a 360 but when it's time to sell they had a 390.
Correct me if I’m wrong but the 360 was a pretty rare motor in comparison to the 390. Seems many an application with the 390, from trucks to passenger cars to muscle cars. The 360 in my experience was rarely referred to.

·
Registered
9,010 Posts
You cant bore a motor out that far ;)

It would have to be a stroker kit, or just a swapped 390.

Boring engines results in a very limited CU increase. On old school iron motors you usually only bore up to .060. Some of the new school aluminum blocks have “big bore” kits with different drop in iron sleeves

Stroking is where you get your cubes. The kits come with a shorter connecting rods and a crank that has more “travel” or stroke :)

Example. A 302 ford will be about a 308 max when bored out. Any more and the walls get then and engine may run hot. You can buy a 331 or 347 stroker kit. About 4 of those CI come from boring .030, the rest is from the new crank travel/stroke length.

This. When I had my 69 Mustang convertible, the owner of the local speed shop had some Cleveland heads that he had reworked and the guy never showed back up to get them.
So I got a great deal on them. He got me one of the Windsor blocks designed for Cleveland heads and we were going to build a 377 stroker.
Ended up getting married, kids, sold the car before building the new engine. Held on to the parts for a bit thinking I'd get another Mustang.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Correct me if I’m wrong but the 360 was a pretty rare motor in comparison to the 390. Seems many an application with the 390, from trucks to passenger cars to muscle cars. The 360 in my experience was rarely referred to.
It was used in trucks mostly, rarely cars and ended in the mid 70s. It was also an industrial engine.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
8,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #851

¯\(ツ)

Not my truck, just what he told me..... maybe it was always a 390? Maybe they put a striker kit on it?

either way, it is a rad truck.

·
Life's a Garden, dig it!
4,020 Posts
It's funny that you mention that. Most of us know about the Chevy small block and the Chevy big block. We used to call the 402, the Chevy Flaw block. Great motors though.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
I had two Fords with 360s. It was pretty common in trucks back in the day. I hated it because it would take forever to warm up in the morning during the winter. I don't miss carburetors one bit.

·
Ian Limburg
*Custom* 2016 Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt 770 MSL
75 Posts
I’ve taken my Tacoma through snow like that but it wasn’t ice underneath. First thing I thought of watching this guy struggle was “let up on the gas”. Which later he figured out after calling for a tow. Obviously these guys were snow driving amateurs. Driving in snow is definitely a skill in how to use the gas pedal. Not too smart taking a road that narrow without a way of turning around.
Here are some photos from my New Years trip to Sand Hollow near St. George Utah.
Dude! Sweet Jeep! I like that a lot. I'd love to go to the same place in mine but haven't gotten out there. Planning on taking my rig out to Moab and doing Hell's Revenge next fall.

·
Paterfamilias
703 Posts
Dude! Sweet Jeep! I like that a lot. I'd love to go to the same place in mine but haven't gotten out there. Planning on taking my rig out to Moab and doing Hell's Revenge next fall.
Moab is amazing! Hell's revenge is easy, you can do that in a Subaru. The alternate routes though are a challenge. I laid my Jeep on it's side trying to climb the escalator on Hell's Revenge. I never made it to Hell's gate, but will do that the next time I go. Also, I need to hit Golden Spike. I'm planning a trip for the end of April this year. Bringing my bike to do the whole enchilada, as well as wheeling all week.

·
Ian Limburg
75 Posts
Moab is amazing! Hell's revenge is easy, you can do that in a Subaru. The alternate routes though are a challenge. I laid my Jeep on it's side trying to climb the escalator on Hell's Revenge. I never made it to Hell's gate, but will do that the next time I go. Also, I need to hit Golden Spike. I'm planning a trip for the end of April this year. Bringing my bike to do the whole enchilada, as well as wheeling all week.
Awesome! Yeah I really wanna do Hell's Revenge. And try some harder lines on it. And The Whole Enchilada is literally my favorite trail. Did it last year on a XC Race bike with 100mm of travel and horrid geometry. A scary day but it was a blast. Excited to go back with my new bike. Ever done it before?
Here's the bike I was on...

·
Ian Limburg
75 Posts
I've done Porcupine from UP down, but never the whole enchilada. I can't wait.
It's epic! Hazard County has some fun turns and jumps. One of my favorite parts of the trail. I will say be careful at the very end as my brother took a really bad crash down there.

841 - 860 of 864 Posts