Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

821 - 840 of 864 Posts

·
Life's a Garden, dig it!
4,020 Posts
I’m not a Ford guy but boring out a 390 to a 460 sounded like too much to me. I looked into it real quick and it seems I was correct. Looks like 428 is Max and not considered safe for cooling. .30 over bring the preferred safe bore.

looky here:Maximum Bore - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums
Like many platforms, bore and stroke (with the appropriately sized rods) can provide for huge jumps in cubic inches though. Not sure which Ford platforms allow for what sizes to be attained, but 390 to 460 wouldn't surprise me.

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
36,124 Posts
Like many platforms, bore and stroke (with the appropriately sized rods) can provide for huge jumps in cubic inches though. Not sure which Ford platforms allow for what sizes to be attained, but 390 to 460 wouldn't surprise me.
I’ve Googled away since these posts and can not find anything on going that far on a 390. Some serious thin sleeves and dangerous territory for over heating.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I’ve Googled away since these posts and can not find anything on going that far on a 390. Some serious thin sleeves and dangerous territory for over heating.
He PROBABLY just has a 460 big block that is pretty standard in many RVs and f250s. Even old thunderbirds and a few cars. It was a great engine.

Someones dad, or a seller, along the way probably told him it was “bored out” along the way.

You can confirm by counting the bolts on the valve cover. If its 7 on each side, you have a 429 or 460, i believe.

First standard i ever drive was an f250 single cab with a 460.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
8,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #825
T
He PROBABLY just has a 460 big block that is pretty standard in many RVs and f250s. Even old thunderbirds and a few cars. It was a great engine.

Someones dad, or a seller, along the way probably told him it was “bored out” along the way.

You can confirm by counting the bolts on the valve cover. If its 7 on each side, you have a 429 or 460, i believe.

First standard i ever drive was an f250 single cab with a 460.

Maybe it was a 460 bored to 490?

·
36,124 Posts
T

That would be a beast. The 460 engine is one of the heaviest old school engines out there. A buddy of mine in high school had a new 1978 F250 long bed lifted to the sky with a built 460 in it, dressed in fire engine red. Quite the truck for being in high school.

·
Registered
965 Posts
could have been a 460 swap. those are really common in the older ford trucks.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
T

That would be more than boring. I dont even think a second rebore would take it much beyond a 470. Its likely to just have a 460. Anyone with a 460 usually brags about it having a 460. It sounds big and special. I know we told everyone that the little tan f250 had one.

Ci are weird and confuse people as to the origin. There are chevy 400 smallblocks and 396 big blocks. Then chevy made a .030 bore 396 which was a 402. They still called it a 396 in some cars and in other cars called the same motor a “turbo-jet 400”. So you could have two chevys with 400s and not know what you had!

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
That would be a beast. The 460 engine is one of the heaviest old school engines out there. A buddy of mine in high school had a new 1978 F250 long bed lifted to the sky with a built 460 in it, dressed in fire engine red. Quite the truck for being in high school.
A guy at my HS had this car with a factory 460. He cut off the exhaust at the manifold and would take it mudding through the school mudpit. (My hS is like varsity blues) i remember it fell of the jack stands on him and almost crushed his rubs.

·
Paterfamilias
703 Posts
Anyone else as excited about the new BRONCO as me?

I was raised a GM guy and have owned multiple GM products over the years, but I have never wanted a FORD so bad.

With the Sasquatch (yes that is the name) Package you can get a base model with 35" tires, front and rear lockers and a low crawling gear.

Looks awesome.

NOTE: I changed the Thread name to better reflect where this discussion has gone.
I'm excited that they finally decided to offer the big motor with a manual!

I wheel with a 2004 Jeep TJ - 4" Teraflex long arm lift with 35" tires. Just got back from Sand Hollow outside of St. George Utah wheeling. Normally I wheel around Phoenix AZ.

·
36,124 Posts
A guy at my HS had this car with a factory 460. He cut off the exhaust at the manifold and would take it mudding through the school mudpit. (My hS is like varsity blues) i remember it fell of the jack stands on him and almost crushed his rubs.

My best friends dad when we were 12 had a 1973 version of that in mint green. I hated that car even at 12 but they thought they were the **** with such a show off of a ride. Even though they weren’t a well to do family.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
I’ve taken my Tacoma through snow like that but it wasn’t ice underneath. First thing I thought of watching this guy struggle was “let up on the gas”. Which later he figured out after calling for a tow. Obviously these guys were snow driving amateurs. Driving in snow is definitely a skill in how to use the gas pedal. Not too smart taking a road that narrow without a way of turning around.
Washington snow is something else. The rain/snow cycles mean that you can have soft powder overlying something sort of like wet cement. You can be doing just fine and then suddenly the wheels drop into it leaving the truck sitting on the frame. Airing down the tires and less throttle would have helped him a lot. Turning around much sooner would have been far better. He has the TRD Sport and I got stuck with my old '05 TRD Offroad. The locking diff is useless when you sink to the frame.

Winter before last I took my son snowshoeing up in the Cascades and had a great time of it. Then a pickup went farther up the mountain from where I stopped. I became worried after a while and drove up (too far!) to check on him. Sure enough, he was buried way up the hill. There were some other guys stuck behind him. I hooked my truck up to his to pull him out and immediately sunk to the frame (light throttle). Search and Rescue was called after several hours of trying to get out. They rescued all of us (but not the trucks) with a tracked SXS and we got home at 1 AM. A truck rescue effort was made the next day which is another story unto itself. I'll tell about that part tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts

I wheel with a 2004 Jeep TJ - 4" Teraflex long arm lift with 35" tires. Just got back from Sand Hollow outside of St. George Utah wheeling. Normally I wheel around Phoenix AZ.
I think we need pics of this beast!

·
Registered
9,010 Posts

Since when is the manual paired with the 2.7?

·
Registered
965 Posts
What sucks is a Ford FE motor is identical on the outside if it's a 360/390/428. Put a straw down the spark plug hole and turn it over and measure. 360 is 3.5in, 390 is 3.75in. Mine is 4.00 making it 410/428. I pulled the pan because it was leaking and confirmed its a 428 crank. I have yet to pull the heads off and measure the bore. It runs fine so I'm not going to bother. If the motor goes to hell I I will put a 460 in it. They make drop in kits for it even with specific headers.

I would have to get a new trans since a 390 c6 will not bolt up to a 460. But with a divorced t-case I literally could put any engine and trans in there. Seen a few with Cummins motors but those are just too heavy and over kill.

·
Paterfamilias
703 Posts

·
Paterfamilias
703 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
9,010 Posts

Maybe I'm wrong, but this makes me believe it's happening!
Ironically it's the exact opposite of how you read it. People were complaining about not being able to get a Man SAS outside of the BL trim, so Ford caved, but it's only with the 2.3L.
All 2.7L Broncos get the 10spd Auto.

·
Registered
2020 Specialized Rockhopper Expert 1x / 2010 Specialized Hardrock Disc
105 Posts
My wife needed a new car, so we went with the new blazer. It has no 4wd or any off-road capability but it is a throw back to the old blazer kinda like how the new bronco is to the old bronco. Although I'm not sure about the new bronco specs if it is a actual 4x4 beast or a tamed down road going car like how the blazer ended up. I will say the blazer even though a 2wd road suv is a very nice refined ride. Does great on gas and has a nice interior as well as It's beautiful exterior. Reminds me of the SUV version of the new camero lol

·
Registered
9,010 Posts
My wife needed a new car, so we went with the new blazer. It has no 4wd or any off-road capability but it is a throw back to the old blazer kinda like how the new bronco is to the old bronco. Although I'm not sure about the new bronco specs if it is a actual 4x4 beast or a tamed down road going car like how the blazer ended up. I will say the blazer even though a 2wd road suv is a very nice refined ride. Does great on gas and has a nice interior as well as It's beautiful exterior. Reminds me of the SUV version of the new camero lol
Sorry the new Blazer is nothing like the new Bronco. Chevy using the Blazer name on a uni-body generic SUV pissed off a lot of Chevy fans.

Bronco is body and frame 4x4 targeted directly at Jeep Wrangler.

821 - 840 of 864 Posts