Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

801 - 820 of 864 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Yep, a coworker of mine was selling one of those above pickup bed tent systems and mattress that was designed for my truck. I could have got it for 1/2 of retail. Luckily at the last minute his wife forced him not to sell it. Otherwise I would have bought it. But I was torn with the same thoughts. Having to set it up and being stuck at the campsite not being able to move the truck without disassembling it all. They are so popular these days I’m sure that craze will fade once this scenario plays out over and over.
I have the ability to put it on the jeep if the trip is conducive to that type of setup. The first several times we used it we didn't have the trailer. It is a pain if you are set up and camping in a set spot, but if you are using for overnights it's not bad. I have been on trips and just used it in rest stops and the like several times. We use it elk hunting as a mobile base camp as well. The trailer is MUCH more convenient. Gas mileage is about the same either way.

·
Ian Limburg
*Custom* 2016 Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt 770 MSL
75 Posts
Because I'm into offroading too... might as well share the rig I bought and did all the upgrades on myself. Love this thing.
P.S. I am planning on doing bigger tires just the old one's aren't worn out yet :ROFLMAO:

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, has the QuadraDrive electronic transfer case and limited slips front and rear. I put a 4" suspension lift on with detachable stabilizer links (coil springs all the way around which allows for the sweet articulation as shown below). I recently added a 12,000 pound winch and bumper.

·
Registered
965 Posts
No its a friend's truck. My truck is still in project mode.

·
Life's a Garden, dig it!
4,020 Posts
I don't see mine ever in the rocks. ;) I do like the feel of my new OME rear leaf springs though. WAY better than the clapped out OE springs.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Jeep is pondering dropping a HEMI in a Rubicon as a production vehicle. There’s been companies that have been making a HEMI swap kit for years. But now [hopefully] a simple walk into the dealer and you can buy one like that.

Wondering the price range of the new Bronco?

Here’s a breakdown of the models with pricing.

Here's how much each of the 2021 Ford Bronco models cost

View attachment 1348819
I am super excited for this one. Imagine a shelby Bronco tho

·
Registered
HT, obviously
164 Posts
I am super excited for this one. Imagine a shelby Bronco tho
it's just a concept right now, but

·
Ian Limburg
75 Posts
No its a friend's truck. My truck is still in project mode.
Still though, That's neat. What are you building? Below is a pic of my brother's truck that we restored and had all the way down to the frame. 4 years in the making but she's beautiful now!

1970 Ford F100 flare side 4X4. Less than 500 of this model ever made

·
Registered
965 Posts
Not bad for $200 and it does run and drive. I am not going to restore it by any means, it's just for off road and camping.

·
Ian Limburg
75 Posts
Not bad for $200 and it does run and drive. I am not going to restore it by any means, it's just for off road and camping.
Still though, that'll be a great off-roader! And cheap too! Does it have the straight six or the V8?

·
Registered
965 Posts
It has a 390FE with a 428/410 crank, I put a D60HP front axle with a detroit in the front. Im currently working on the hydro ram steering with high steer crossover. The rear is getting a GM 14 bolt with a detroit as well.

·
Ian Limburg
75 Posts
It has a 390FE with a 428/410 crank, I put a D60HP front axle with a detroit in the front. Im currently working on the hydro ram steering with high steer crossover. The rear is getting a GM 14 bolt with a detroit as well.:D:LOL:
Dang, that is a real good set up for an off-roader. D-60s are awesome. My brother has the Ford nine inch, and a D40. He has the 300 cubic inch 6 cylinder. And he has a Detroit Truetrack in the rear Ford 9 inch.

My rig has D35s :LOL: they're small but they've had their fare share of offroading and have never had a problem. Plus I can do some quite aggressive stuff with my cheap soccer mom luxury SUV.:LOL:

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
36,125 Posts
This wasn't me, but I've been in the same situation before. It really sucks.

I’ve taken my Tacoma through snow like that but it wasn’t ice underneath. First thing I thought of watching this guy struggle was “let up on the gas”. Which later he figured out after calling for a tow. Obviously these guys were snow driving amateurs. Driving in snow is definitely a skill in how to use the gas pedal. Not too smart taking a road that narrow without a way of turning around.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
8,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #818
It has a 390FE with a 428/410 crank, I put a D60HP front axle with a detroit in the front. Im currently working on the hydro ram steering with high steer crossover. The rear is getting a GM 14 bolt with a detroit as well.
My buddy has a 1979 F250 with a 390 bored over to 460. His dad bought it brand new the year he was born and gave it to him when he was a teenager. Had a few fun times with it as teens, he once had to pull my dads truck (I was driving and my dad never found out) our of a high center where all 4 wheels were in the sky.

He still has it. super cool truck.

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
36,125 Posts
My buddy has a 1979 F250 with a 390 bored over to 460. His dad bought it brand new the year he was born and gave it to him when he was a teenager. Had a few fun times with it as teens, he once had to pull my dads truck (I was driving and my dad never found out) our of a high center where all 4 wheels were in the sky.

He still has it. super cool truck.
I’m not a Ford guy but boring out a 390 to a 460 sounded like too much to me. I looked into it real quick and it seems I was correct. Looks like 428 is Max and not considered safe for cooling. .30 over bring the preferred safe bore.

looky here:Maximum Bore - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
8,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #820
I’m not a Ford guy but boring out a 390 to a 460 sounded like too much to me. I looked into it real quick and it seems I was correct. Looks like 428 is Max and not considered safe for cooling. .30 over bring the preferred safe bore.

looky here:Maximum Bore - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums
I could be remembering that wrong.... That data came from the storage part of my brain that is 25 years old....

801 - 820 of 864 Posts