61 - 80 of 870 Posts

·
Registered
5,566 Posts

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
The newer the truck the more it costs.
This is pretty much where my thinking came from. People building up newer trucks with all of the expensive modifications. Also, I live in a area with thick forests and the smaller size of a SBS means they can fit more places than a large truck. Jeeps certainly do better than pickups around here unless the truck has been shortened a lot.

Sorry for the thread derail.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
The love for Toyota trucks and SUVs always amuses me. It's an old platform, with an underpowered engine, an old 5 speed transmission and they overcharge for it. That, and they are absolutely terrible offroad. That's an observation after years of offroading with them. It's about 5 years ovedue for more than a cosmetic overhaul.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
It is probably because they are able to handle any off road that 90% of the population that goes off road needs while not having Jeep build and on-road ride quality (aka crap). And the fact they tend to be very reliable.

·
Registered
5,566 Posts
Also, I live in a area with thick forests

Need to mount a commercial brusher and some hydrologic chain saws for the logging roads. I guess that's where builds get so expensive.

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Need to mount a commercial brusher and some hydrologic chain saws for the logging roads. I guess that's where builds get so expensive.

I think a truck needs serious paint armoring around here due to the thick brush.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I think a truck needs serious paint armoring around here due to the thick brush.
Out here its desert pinstripe. but I'm not worried about the paint. On my bronco half is already gone and my truck is too many colors to know the difference.

I have an option for hydro PTO on my T-case. I thought about it, they are a 20k lbs winch, but the only problem is your engine has to be running for the PTO to work, which isn't always possible.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The very same 4cyl this thing has as the base engine is the same one in my Ranger. It's a killer engine. The 6 will be very nice indeed in this bronco.

What kind of "work" are you going to be doing with this thing? With the short wheelbase, you won't tow big loads with it, regardless of the engine under the hood. No bed, so it's not like you're going to toss a ton of mulch in the back. Need an 8 for hitting the mall on Friday night?
I'm saying I want the 4 cylinder, not the 6, but I'm afriad I might have to get the 4 door and the 4 cylinder isn't available in it. I don't want a 4 or 6 with an auto transmission and it seems the manual is only available with the 4.

Grew up in the mountains of WV, 4's and 6's with autos are a transmission shop's preferred config, you need a v8 to keep the auto from shifting all the time.

Learned the hard lesson with a Chrysler, even if you set the shifter into a lower gear it will still eventually upshift.

My first truck was a manual transmission 4 cylinder s10, I can tolerate an auto with my v8 now because it can hold itsself in a gear for a while, but I miss the manual and want to go back. Used to overload that little s10 all the time and it took everything I could throw at it.

·
Registered
5,566 Posts
Mine usually just end with a sweet fractal pinstriping. Buddies with newer trucks hate my camp spots...eventually they learn.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Mine usually just end with a sweet fractal pinstriping. Buddies with newer trucks hate my camp spots...eventually they learn.

All the pinstriping from trees will usually buff out, its all the door dings from co-workers that left permanent marks on mine.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The Bronco looks fun and I’d chose it over a new Jeep 10 times out of 10 but I don’t trust long term durability of a new Ford versus Toyota. Both of my BIL are diehard Ford guys but they both acknowledge the new vehicles don’t last the way their older trucks do and trade in the new ones every couple of years. You’d have to pry their old Fords from their cold dead hands. There also no way I’d pay the dealer premium that’s going to come with all this hype.

Ultimately, I trust my Toyotas more and keep my vehicles long-term so doubtful I’ll ever have the Bronco. My FJ is 12 years old with 135k miles on it and the 4R is newer but has 40k on it. Both have been rock solid and should continue to be up till 200k+ with normal maintenance.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
All the Toyo love. The biggest POS I ever owned was '91 4runner. Turns out it was an in-between model.

New Transmission, engine, a/c, differential, cvjoints... on and on. It was regularly tearing up.

I hate to admit it, but at some point I just couldn't let it go, I had put so much into it to keep it going. Young and dumb.

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
36,132 Posts
This is pretty much where my thinking came from. People building up newer trucks with all of the expensive modifications. Also, I live in a area with thick forests and the smaller size of a SBS means they can fit more places than a large truck. Jeeps certainly do better than pickups around here unless the truck has been shortened a lot.

Full size trucks are more at home on a farm or for hauling large trailers. Serious four wheeling is not their intended purpose. Wide and long wheel bases don’t cut it on serious four wheel drive routes.

·
No known cure
3,931 Posts
All the Toyo love. The biggest POS I ever owned was '91 4runner. Turns out it was an in-between model.

New Transmission, engine, a/c, differential, cvjoints... on and on. It was regularly tearing up.

I hate to admit it, but at some point I just couldn't let it go, I had put so much into it to keep it going. Young and dumb.
I had a 91 4Runner. It went to 383K miles then blew a head gasket. I had the motor rebuilt then sold it. I still see it driving around town 16 years later.

·
No known cure
3,931 Posts
The very same 4cyl this thing has as the base engine is the same one in my Ranger. It's a killer engine. The 6 will be very nice indeed in this bronco.

What kind of "work" are you going to be doing with this thing? With the short wheelbase, you won't tow big loads with it, regardless of the engine under the hood. No bed, so it's not like you're going to toss a ton of mulch in the back. Need an 8 for hitting the mall on Friday night?
I can fit a half cord of wood in my TJ Rubicon.

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
36,132 Posts
I had a 91 4Runner. It went to 383K miles then blew a head gasket. I had the motor rebuilt then sold it. I still see it driving around town 16 years later.
Did you know that year 4-Runner V6 has a recall on the head gasket? That recall went from 1988 to 1992 I believe.

I had a 1988 4-Runner I bought used in 1994. It was a salvaged title vehicle but pristine in every way. Black and loaded to the hilt with the V6. The head gasket blew a year into ownership, Toyota gave me a brand new motor from the heads down. Seriously! It was a salvaged vehicle and bought used. They backed it up and put a new motor in for me. I was the last customer at my dealership that they did this for. All others just got heads and block resurfaced. I had 3 Toyota trucks prior to that 4-Runner and loved all of them. After going through this and what Toyota did for me I’ve been sold ever since. Granted I’ve had other vehicles from other manufacturers between that ride and my current Taco. my return to Toyota was due to dependability, low maintenance and that experience with Toyota stepping up.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
The love for Toyota trucks and SUVs always amuses me. It's an old platform, with an underpowered engine, an old 5 speed transmission and they overcharge for it. That, and they are absolutely terrible offroad. That's an observation after years of offroading with them. It's about 5 years ovedue for more than a cosmetic overhaul.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
People conveniently forget how the frames rotted away on the 1st gen Tacomas, some 2nd gen Tacomas, and I wouldn't be surprised if some 3rd gens show up with rot.

61 - 80 of 870 Posts