Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 862 Posts

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
8,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else as excited about the new BRONCO as me?

I was raised a GM guy and have owned multiple GM products over the years, but I have never wanted a FORD so bad.

With the Sasquatch (yes that is the name) Package you can get a base model with 35" tires, front and rear lockers and a low crawling gear.

Looks awesome.

NOTE: I changed the Thread name to better reflect where this discussion has gone.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
8,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah this is obviously aimed directly at jeep which has had zero competition in that segment for a long time. I like jeeps and know a bunch of guys who have them, but when you go wheeling they are everywhere. I am ready to see more variety on the 4x4 trails.

I have been taking my truck out a bit more to go wheeling with buddies, some of whom have jeeps, but my truck is a pretty basic Silverado 4x4, no lockers, 30inch tires, 2 inch leveling kit up front. and while it is super fun to off road in, it will take some expensive parts to make it better. I found the limitations last time I went out, mostly around no lockers and tires.

·
Registered
Santa Cruz HT2 (CC, XT), Stigmata (CC, GRX800)
575 Posts
My wife just texted me that "she found her next vehicle."
Uhmmmm... let someone else be the guinea pig and work out the inevitable first model year issues.

Very nice look. Though 'that look' without the 35s would be a deal-breaker.
A shame they didn't go with a solid front axle to keep up with the crawling Jeeps.

Hopefully now that Jeep has some competition for their market, Jeep will rein in their pricing. I priced a JL Rubicon the other year and it came in at over $52,000!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
36,065 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
But even with a Hemi, Jeep is still a Chrysler/sibushi/mercedes/fiat/thrown together crap product.

Its been hard to find a decent vehicle for years, in 2004 when I was looking the 4x4 Silverado was rated 20mpg highway and the Colorado was rated 21. No real reason to buy the smaller truck. Seems all the other brands are similar, v6 gets the same economy of a v8 with less capability.

We made the minivan mistake and I'll never have a front wheel drive sideways engine vehicle again.

I'd really want the 2 door manual but even if I had $ for a new vehicle, wife might not approve.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Uhmmmm... let someone else be the guinea pig and work out the inevitable first model year issues.
This is where a lease if useful, lease it for 2-3 years, if there are issues, turn it back in and try something else, if not buy it out.

·
High Plains Luddite
158 Posts
They look cool. I'll give them that, at least.

Like all modern cars, I'm suspect of all the electronic gizmos, but I guess time will tell if they hold up or if they'll be in the shop every two weeks needing the cameras that tell you if you touch the center line recalibrated and whatnot.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
But even with a Hemi, Jeep is still a Chrysler/sibushi/mercedes/fiat/thrown together crap product.

Its been hard to find a decent vehicle for years, in 2004 when I was looking the 4x4 Silverado was rated 20mpg highway and the Colorado was rated 21. No real reason to buy the smaller truck. Seems all the other brands are similar, v6 gets the same economy of a v8 with less capability.

We made the minivan mistake and I'll never have a front wheel drive sideways engine vehicle again.

I'd really want the 2 door manual but even if I had $ for a new vehicle, wife might not approve.
Agreed. Jeep was left alone by Chrysler until the larger wrangler models were made. They lack the robust and simple reliability now the name used to carry.

·
since 4/10/2009
30,128 Posts
It's good to see a viable off-road competitor to Jeep. Jeeps have become too damn big and ungainly, and aren't that well built, as it is.

Wife insisted on getting a Liberty years ago, and while I think the idea was sound enough for what it was, I think Jeep executed poorly. Rented a 4dr Wranger on vacation 10yrs ago (only wanted a 2dr) and it was just stupid big.

I recently got a Ranger and the 2.3L turbo 4cyl with that 10spd transmission is a really nice powertrain. I can milk 28mpg out of it on the highway. And it's pretty fast when I want to step on it. I've been hearing rumblings that the 2.7L ecoboost is supposed to show up, at least as an option, on the next revision of the Ranger, too.

I'd get something like this, except a bed is just useful enough for me that I lean more towards a pickup truck.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Like others said, I'm glad to see something on the trail besides brand new jeeps and FJcruisers. I just couldn't go out and buy a new 4x4 knowing what's going to happen to it.

I like my 94 full size Bronco and still slowly building my big truck. Sourcing the parts I need is time consuming, since nothing I am doing is available in a kit. Have spent enough time at the junkyards they know me.

IMG_20200525_135948457.jpg

Then you have this thing.... It was a jeep and mostly still is.

IMG_20200615_071703638_HDR.jpg

·
Premium Member
5,163 Posts
Anyone else as excited about this as me?

I was raised a GM guy and have owned multiple GM products over the years, but I have never wanted a FORD so bad.

With the Sasquatch (yes that is the name) Package you can get a base model with 35" tires, front and rear lockers and a low crawling gear.

Looks awesome.
Real nice, and priced well. Thanx for sharing

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
8,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Very nice look. Though 'that look' without the 35s would be a deal-breaker.
A shame they didn't go with a solid front axle to keep up with the crawling Jeeps.

Hopefully now that Jeep has some competition for their market, Jeep will rein in their pricing. I priced a JL Rubicon the other year and it came in at over $52,000!
Yeah my wife likes the look of them too. My problem is figuring out which vehicle to replace as we have valid uses for both our truck and our suburban.

At first I thought the IFS would be a hinderance, but I think it will be plenty capable to keep up with the jeeps when you match them stock form to stock form. When it comes to extreme crawling things may change, but those guys are never "stock"

Jeep is pondering dropping a HEMI in a Rubicon as a production vehicle. There’s been companies that have been making a HEMI swap kit for years. But now [hopefully] a simple walk into the dealer and you can buy one like that.
All the hype about a v8 Wrangler is probably just jeep trying to take some wind out of Ford's Sails. I have my doubts if they will seriously offer it. But it would be cool.

The first gen v6 of the JK Wranglers was not the best, but I have heard nothing but good things about the Pentastar V6 from the later JK's and now the JLs. Is there something specific about Wranglers you are referring to?

Like others said, I'm glad to see something on the trail besides brand new jeeps and FJcruisers. I just couldn't go out and buy a new 4x4 knowing what's going to happen to it.

I like my 94 full size Bronco and still slowly building my big truck. Sourcing the parts I need is time consuming, since nothing I am doing is available in a kit. Have spent enough time at the junkyards they know me.

Then you have this thing.... It was a jeep and mostly still is.

Nice Bronco!

That second pic... uhhhhhhhhh

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
36,065 Posts
Let me reiterate with a small breakdown of models & pricing. If more interested than these screenshots go to the link.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foxnews.com/auto/how-much-2021-ford-bronco-cost.amp

B49E5206-523B-453E-8091-EB1DFDA746EE.jpg
E148992E-6FF9-41C6-A131-1BE69148A43A.jpeg
F0AC33AF-7180-4DE2-874B-6E73425459C7.jpeg
51473345-61BF-441A-BC55-5A17A4DF332C.jpeg
A84D3CC0-7688-4423-B47C-9AF7B720C85B.jpeg
BFCAF625-FE3E-4885-8511-B52BD6F4816F.jpeg
921501B0-3F98-45A0-B2B5-14EFA7A67FB5.jpeg

Alex, I’d like to solve the puzzle....wait..

I’ll take some “First Edition” for 60K. [65K out the door] please for the win. :)

And let me predict that some of these 60K top of the line “First Edition” model versions that are already snatched up by the wealthy [waiting list] will be sold at Barrett Jackson style auctions for 10% markup or more of the sticker price. Mark my words.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Not in the market at all, but this looks pretty good. When my wife needed a new car, she wanted a Jeep bad but couldn't stomach the sticker price plus the poor gas mileage and not so good crash test ratings put us off even a used one. It will be interesting to see how the Bronco does in reviews and crash tests.

·
Straight out tha traila
1,009 Posts
As I said, the Base Model with the Sasquatch is my jam.
Yep 100000%! That's going to be a very popular one. I'll probably look into one in a couple years when the bugs get worked out and the hype is settled down (along with dealer's extra hype markup, it's going to be insane)

Recently sold all my Jeeps. Isn't there a user name change thread here somewhere? :idea:

·
well mannered lout
2,555 Posts
Anything you don't build is a mall crawler. Long travel, locked diffs and 5.13s
I bring a stock TJ (98) running 30s off road almost every day. Bigger might be better in mud or on rocks but in my mature woods and exposed ledge, no way.. I already do too many 7 point turns. The one rock I always drag on I’ll hit with the sledgehammer a couple times.

I sure as hell don’t want anything nicer and newer for how I’ve been using mine.

1 - 20 of 862 Posts