Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
The Other F Word
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While all you Puffers were asphyxiating in the heat on Sat, Jollybeggar, Charlie & I were staying (sorta) cool in the mud & shade on the North Umpqua Trail.

Here's an abbreviated version of the RR I posted to a.m-b:

The D&T section is overall downhill, but there is quite a bit of climbing. I love those uphill switchbacks. This trail is dead-on gorgeous - big trees, flowers, blue sky, pounding water, blah blah blah, classic Oregon singletrack *yawn* right? ;) The rhodies are in bloom now - get 'em while they're hot - orchids too, and there are bluebells & bleeding heart down along the river.

We rode the D&T plus the Hot Springs section (baby-butt smooth singletrack through some big trees) in just over 4 hours, which includes a couple of meal stops, a busted-chain stop, and a baker's dozen photo ops.

Lots of mud. (jolly has a different opinion on "lots of" ;) ). Come prepared with plenty of chain lube & tires that shed mud well. Trail conditions vary widely though; we hit mud, perfect pine duff, sand, and ashy dirt, sometimes all within 100 yards, so stay alert.

I was a bit disappointed in the Treadmaps map of the area. (Thanks to the guys at Fundamental Bikes in Roseburg for holding a copy for me!) I was expecting a bit more topo detail (hard to figure out what the elevation line increments were), an explanation of the rating system, and perhaps close-up views of tricky trail intersections.

Many thanks to Jollybeggar's wife for doing shuttle bunny duty & having cold water for us at the end of the ride!

Photos:
rhodies, one of several waterfalls, lovely blue pool, and yours truly. I'll leave it to you to figure out which is which because there seems to be some randomification of photo order going on here.

Attachments

·
Expert Pushing SSer
1,503 Posts
gabrielle said:
That looks like a jewel. But, what the he!! is D&T? I am so dense. Sorry, I just figured out NUT. I am putting NUT on the list of "to dos". [scratches on gray matter stickey note].

I love Oregon.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Be Very Afraid, Mikey

Meat Foot said:
gabrielle said:
That looks like a jewel. But, what the he!! is D&T? I am so dense. Sorry, I just figured out NUT. I am putting NUT on the list of "to dos". [scratches on gray matter stickey note].
QUOTE]

D&T stands for Dead & Terror. Hellifiknow why it's called that, unless it refers to where the trail used to be, since relocated to lower elevations.

·
Expert Pushing SSer
1,503 Posts
Mudflaps said:
D&T stands for Dead & Terror. Hellifiknow why it's called that, unless it refers to where the trail used to be, since relocated to lower elevations.
:eek:

Then must move to top of list. :thumbsup:

Not to derail, Flaps how did the Puff go?

Ciao.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
"Too Darn Hot"

Meat Foot said:
:
Not to derail, Flaps how did the Puff go?
Cramps was the word of the day from almost everyone I spoke with. They started for me at about mile 35, and I rode for the next 30 miles just barely keeping them at bay. That was the end of my day, couldn't face the prospect of climbing Road 1910 (in blazing sun) in 95+ degree temps (in the shade) when already cramping up.

What was really fun :madman: was realizing on the first trail section that my brand new hydraulic brakes had leaked all the fluid from the front caliper. Lack of a front brake made the switchies on Tire Mtn, Winberry Divide, & Winberry Tie *interesting*. To quote Davey, "if you can't slow fast, you can't go fast". I had to let lots of people around that I otherwise would have been leading down trails that I know well. There was ~16 miles of singletrack before Aid Zero and Davey (the aid 0 captain) was willing to swap a brake off his bike so I could try to finish.

As it is, I was just able to complete lap 1. A little disappointed, yeah. Next year....

·
The Other F Word
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mudflaps said:
D&T stands for Dead & Terror.
dRead and terror! Though there were a couple of spots where you'd be dead for sure if you f.u.'d. :eek:

One of my buddies refers to it as the "Umpqua Lumpqua Trail" (think Willy Wonka).

I heard the D&T section was named after the Dread & Terror ridge above the trail, but now I can't find where I read it, so don't quote me on that. :)

It is an amazing trail...totally gorgeous. I highly recommend it. Jollybeggar should be along any day now with some more photos.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Mudflaps said:
Meat Foot said:
gabrielle said:
QUOTE]

[Trivia]
It's called that because some guys way back when named the ridge dread & terror in reference to the horrible conditions they would have expected to face should they ever have to fight a wildfire in that area. [/trivia]

·
Expert Pushing SSer
1,503 Posts
Mudflaps said:
Cramps was the word of the day from almost everyone I spoke with. They started for me at about mile 35, and I rode for the next 30 miles just barely keeping them at bay. That was the end of my day, couldn't face the prospect of climbing Road 1910 (in blazing sun) in 95+ degree temps (in the shade) when already cramping up.

What was really fun :madman: was realizing on the first trail section that my brand new hydraulic brakes had leaked all the fluid from the front caliper. Lack of a front brake made the switchies on Tire Mtn, Winberry Divide, & Winberry Tie *interesting*. To quote Davey, "if you can't slow fast, you can't go fast". I had to let lots of people around that I otherwise would have been leading down trails that I know well. There was ~16 miles of singletrack before Aid Zero and Davey (the aid 0 captain) was willing to swap a brake off his bike so I could try to finish.

As it is, I was just able to complete lap 1. A little disappointed, yeah. Next year....
No problem Flaps, you gave it a go. The conditions were a tad less than stellar.

As for the hydros, can't help you there. ;) Everything has its issues....I lost a pad on the MRT back in May about 3 minutes in and had to get the search party together. Found it but...... For the record, Avid mechs. KISS - Keeping It Stupid Simple :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Sweet pics gabrielle

You took some nice pictures of a great ride. My pictures didn't turn out so well (borrowed camera, wrong settings). I had a great time. The NUT is now my favorite trail. Thanks for letting a S.O.G ride with you young folks and for not leaving me in the dust.
You sure are a talented climber.

Happy trails
Jolly (akaTerry)

·
The Other F Word
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bummer on the photos! I accidentally resized my originals for posting on the web & now I can't print out decent copies. :( So I have no evidence that I rode it other than the bruises. That just means I"ll have to go back.

It was a great time, thanks for having us along!

gabrielle

1 - 12 of 12 Posts