Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
6,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WTF? Did someone post pictures of a test mule again? We talked about the upcoming Hightower, Megatower, SJ, etc without issues. Specialized must really want to keep a tight lid on this one.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I received the following message after the last thread was removed:

Sorry about the deleted threads and photos on the new bike. It's sensitive, leaked info and there are many launch activities that will be harmed as these photos get out.

But if you have the photos, enjoy privately!! I've ridden the bike and it is the one.

fc

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
As far as I know, no one broke into Specialized's property to take the pictures. They voluntarily took the proto to a public space.

Being unable to keep the proto covert it's their problem, not the public's. Approaching someone about a picture taken in the public square it's overreaching, and that's not ok. MTBR bending to Specialized's will is also not OK. A media embargo as nothing to do with the general open discussion at the forum, they should be separated platforms.

If this whole story is true as it seems it kind of makes me regret buying the Stumpjumper Evo. I though Specialized was getting into the right tracks

·
Registered
6,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As far as I know, no one broke into Specialized's property to take the pictures. They voluntarily took the proto to a public space.

Being unable to keep the proto covert it's their problem, not the public's. Approaching someone about a picture taken in the public square it's overreaching, and that's not ok. MTBR bending to Specialized's will is also not OK. A media embargo as nothing to do with the general open discussion at the forum, they should be separated platforms.

If this whole story is true as it seems it kind of makes me regret buying the Stumpjumper Evo. I though Specialized was getting into the right tracks
If MTBR wants to be invited to media pre release events in the future they will do what Specialized asks them to do. While I agree on censorship, I don't view this in that light.

MTBR is a business and they will do what is in their own best interest. Specialized is also a business and they are going to do what they think is best prior to the release of a new bike. Specialized did not sue MTBR and they certainly don't control some random engineer from Ohlins that was riding the bike around in public view. I think we can all be sure that the Ohlins person is VERY aware that what he did was not acceptable.

It is not crazy to think that Specialized has spent hundreds of thousands of dollars to develop this new bike and they want protect that investment.

·
Registered
236 Posts
For sure that's the reasoning. Though this is censorship, 100%, as they are suppressing the release of news. Literally the definition of censorship. Could you imagine a news publication who is allowed access to the White House press room being denied access for publishing a story the White House didn't want to be published. It happens all the time and well that's tough business. This is even one step further removed as it's the users of the publication.

Do you think Apple would let a new iphone off campus before launch? This is on Specialized, they gave that bike out, what did they think was going to happen? What did Santa Cruz think was going to happen when those guys were riding the HT in WBP before launch? If the photo went on a social media, would instagram take it down?

Specialized wants to always be dominating the news cycle and the buzz around a new bike release lasts for 1 day as product is constantly being churned out in this industry. And that's why they release 1 bike each week. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think Specialized needs MTBR just as much to stay on top of that news cycle when they are pumping new MY product. Sure readers here pry frequent a few other big sites, but it's about reaching as many people as possible.

·
Registered
677 Posts
For sure that's the reasoning. Though this is censorship, 100%, as they are suppressing the release of news. Literally the definition of censorship. Could you imagine a news publication who is allowed access to the White House press room being denied access for publishing a story the White House didn't want to be published. It happens all the time and well that's tough business. This is even one step further removed as it's the users of the publication.

Do you think Apple would let a new iphone off campus before launch? This is on Specialized, they gave that bike out, what did they think was going to happen? What did Santa Cruz think was going to happen when those guys were riding the HT in WBP before launch? If the photo went on a social media, would instagram take it down?

Specialized wants to always be dominating the news cycle and the buzz around a new bike release lasts for 1 day as product is constantly being churned out in this industry. And that's why they release 1 bike each week. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think Specialized needs MTBR just as much to stay on top of that news cycle when they are pumping new MY product. Sure readers here pry frequent a few other big sites, but it's about reaching as many people as possible.
sell you're sj evo and relax. This is common on mtbr. They always remove spy photo's. Isn't some specialized controversy you're making it to be

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hi.

I published two photographs of the Specialized Enduro 2020 in a post and mtbr deleted the post. I published those photos in this post and I deleted them because I do not know if I am damaging the image of the engineer of ohlins, but ..... it is strange that Specializede writes S-Work on the bicycle that does not want to be discovered. ..... It is strange that an ohlins engineer is so stupid to go out on the street with that bicycle if he knows that the bike is still a secret ..... Maybe it's not strange, maybe it's a plan ... .

Stranger Things by Specialized

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
If MTBR wants to be invited to media pre release events in the future they will do what Specialized asks them to do. While I agree on censorship, I don't view this in that light.

MTBR is a business and they will do what is in their own best interest. Specialized is also a business and they are going to do what they think is best prior to the release of a new bike. Specialized did not sue MTBR and they certainly don't control some random engineer from Ohlins that was riding the bike around in public view. I think we can all be sure that the Ohlins person is VERY aware that what he did was not acceptable.

It is not crazy to think that Specialized has spent hundreds of thousands of dollars to develop this new bike and they want protect that investment.
It's obvious that the manufacturers and the publishers have a symbiotic relationship, for which in the end the consumers also benefit. I quite like the current voluntary media embargo format, it provides us with good quality news and quick reviews right when the product is announced.

Now my comment was focused on two points:

MTBR deleting threads - Generally speaking, MTBR as the online news site is a publisher and as a forum is a platform. As a news publisher, it's fully understandable for them to want to respect the news embargo on the new bike. But, as forum, a platform, they should not interfere with the public discussion, as long as it wont go against rules of use or the law. Is not that someone breached into Specialized to steal that image, so what the platform is doing is censoring a public space picture.
Distinction between platform and publisher is important, you'll hear about it a lot when the hammer falls on big tech companies for messing around with that for so long.

Specialized approaching the person who had the image - I believe there was a comment on the deleted post with the images that stated someone from Spec actually contacted the person about it (I might be wrong as I can't see the actual post anymore). If this is indeed true, then it's a major overreach on their part. They are not speaking with a publisher, they are speaking with a consumer. It's not a symbiotic relationship, the consumer owes them nothing for the fact that they messed up and showed up in public with a proto.

Look at the automotive world and compare things. See the new Land Rover Defender as an example. There are proto images all over the internet, even in forums hosted by news outlets (publishers) who post the official press releases.
All pictures taken in the public space, including one from a proto interior in which the infotainment display showed a image of the uncamouflaged final product (or it looks like so).
AFAIK, the only time Land Rover stepped in was when a image taken from inside a painting booth showing what appears to be the front quarter of a final product. But that was an image taken from within their premisses without authorization, quite different than a proto on a public road

·
No Clue Crew
7,643 Posts
I agree in a general sense that physical items in a public place are open to image capture.

And it's easy in this instance to point the finger at Specialized and, more easily, MTBR. The sad fact is, all online MTB resources do the same as do all manufacturers. Bike manufacturers seem to have a much tighter grip on the short and curlys of bike media than in other sports/hobbies/pastimes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you want change or don't think something is right, you have to speak up. And I don't own either bike.

We're talking about a bicycle here. Chill out. Go ride your bike.

How about showing half as much passion over issues that actually affect people.:idea:

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
So most people think the bike should have been left advertised.

I don't know what it was, however the comments here make it sound like MTBR is disallowing the advertisement of the bicycle. Is the bike officially released? If no, MTBR is fulfilling a legal obligation to not leak photos, and ensure their members also abide by the terms.

For instance, your wife wants to become a model (xxx). I found them and posted saying "do you think she would be a good candidate for.....".

I didn't have permission to post the photo because the wife wasn't ready to have the photo published. Should the forums allow the photo to stay? Wife hasn't advertised that yet. It's just that I took the picture assuming should would like to know that I went ahead and posted on her behalf to welcome her into the industry.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.