Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 189 Posts

·
Mtbr Founder
35,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Don't want to be a Debbie downer bringing up a sobering topic but:

So I was at the Skeggs- club ride on Wednesday. A good friend said he was not drinking beer and I asked why. He said he got a post-ride DUI on Highway 85 on Dec 27. Two and half good beers for his 170lb body got him to .08 blood/alcohol level.
His life has been turned upside down with $7k expenses so far, jail, pending trial and 20 days of labor possible. I talked to him for 20 minutes and got all the details.

Things I learned:

- 2 .5 IPAs, post-ride got him to .08 level
- 6 months of misery until it's all behind him
- about 20 days of duty, usually labor clean-up. Community service will be around double that since easier work
- CHP treated him like a career criminal
- the longer you wait for the breathalyzer test, the more your blood alcohol rises for about 3 hours
- after Jan 1, 2019, they need to install an expensive breathalyzer device on your car to start it.
- can take away your license on the spot, before trial
- Just because you're under .08, doesn't mean you're in the clear.

So this is just a share of what I learned a couple days ago. If you have more info to add/correct, please do so. It is a tough subject since it's part of what we do... ie, me.

We try to drink responsibly and this is the first-case (that I know of) in my circle. The shame/guilt is intense so I'm glad he shared with me.

Thoughts?

·
Up In Smoke
Dirt Roadë
3,281 Posts
You're not being Debbie downer, this is a wake up call for everyone. Drive sober, or get pulled over.

There are many threads around here about bad drivers coming too close to cyclist, my biggest fear riding on open roads is a drunk driver.

Enjoy a beer after a ride, sure. But save the 6er for when you get home.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I had a DUI years ago, I stopped drinking if there was any chance of driving that day, and 2 years ago, stopped all together. Now that I'm mountain biking, I will say that a beer after sounds REALLY good. I may have one after a ride at some point, but I won't be getting behind the wheel if I do.

The device you're referring to on the car is an IID, Ignition Interupter Device. I haven't had one but know someone who does have one and not only is it embarrassing and a PITA, but you have to pay a monthly fee for it, have it checked and info downloaded from it regularly at a certified station (which aren't necessarily local to the user), and just working on the car around it can set off it's tamper alarm which risks the user going to jail without collecting $200.

DUI's are no bueno.

·
Registered
2022 Ripley AF Deore Monument Silver
1,677 Posts
The threshold for DUI, 0.08 BAC, is pretty low. It's not intended to ensnare people who are drunk, but people whose facilities are impaired.

The conventional wisdom in Texas, where MADD started all this enhanced enforcement and punishment, is to refuse the breathalyzer. This will result in an automatic license suspension (it's coming anyway), but the breathalyzer/intoxilyzer is a notoriously inaccurate instrument.

Without the breathalyzer, they will have to draw blood, which will yield an accurate measurement. If you're dookfaced, it doesn't matter, but if you're close it could be critical. And sometimes they don't get around to it, so they're left with the video evidence, which if you arent a staggering fool, can make for a plea or dismissal.

I suppose that DUI needed to be taken more seriously, but the side effect of all of this is that there is now a crimino-industrial profit complex surrounding DUI arrests.

·
Professional Troll
2,774 Posts
Of course. But the point is, .08 really isn't "not sober". If you are a full grown man and can't drive 100% safely after 1.5 beers, the alcohol isn't your problem.

But that's why I just live in the city. I never have to drive period. :)

You're not being Debbie downer, this is a wake up call for everyone. Drive sober, or get pulled over.

There are many threads around here about bad drivers coming too close to cyclist, my biggest fear riding on open roads is a drunk driver.

Enjoy a beer after a ride, sure. But save the 6er for when you get home.

·
Registered
10,490 Posts
I suppose that DUI needed to be taken more seriously, but the side effect of all of this is that there is now a crimino-industrial profit complex surrounding DUI arrests.
Agreed, and does NOT stop career drunk drivers from getting behind the wheel.

Here there are ever more homeless types driving around in trash heaps without even a plate much less the requisite insurance etc. Allocation of resources and serving the public interest are not mutually inclusive.

·
Up In Smoke
Dirt Roadë
3,281 Posts
Of course. But the point is, .08 really isn't "not sober". If you are a full grown man and can't drive 100% safely after 1.5 beers, the alcohol isn't your problem.
I get that, but its the law that we all have to abide by. Buzzed driving is drunk driving.

Whats really bothering me though is who is drinking 1.5 beers? Was the beer shared?

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
So I will weigh in here a bit as I know all about DUI stops. First .08 is the legal limit but you can still be popped for DUI under that limit if you are impaired. Most of the time, there are driving indicators that alert us to stopping you. Once you're stopped, pretty easy to detect alcohol. From the point that you are suspected of being under the influence, the officer will have you do sobriety tests. They usually do 4-5 tests. While they are doing this, they are waiting for 15 minutes to elapse. You BAC will either go up or down depending on how long ago you had your last drink. They will have you blow into a PAS device which gives a preliminary result. You then can choose another blood or breath test when you are taken to a place called AIB (alcohol intoxication bureau). They have a fancy breath machine or a blood tech will come and take blood from you. If you choose blood, you are going to jail for sure. This is because they can't tell your exact level but the PAS and driving indicators are enough probable cause to arrest and book you. If you choose breath, you might blow below a .08. If that happens, you MAY be released and 849(b)'d which is like it erases the arrest. You still may be booked because you sucked so badly at driving and even .06 impaired the hell out of you. You will receive a temporary license after your arrest because we keep your actual ID. If you refuse to do any of the tests, your license is automatically suspended for 1 year. The laws and punishments have changed but expect almost $10k and crappy times ahead. IPA's can have 10% ABV in them and that is a lot! It takes time for your body to rid itself of alcohol. My final piece of advice is don't be a d*ck, just limit yourself or wait till you drive.

·
Registered
8,564 Posts
2 1/2 strong beers, no wonder. Since I live near the trails I'll have a couple of 20oz pints and ride home, but my buddies that drive will have 1 only. If I am driving I limit myself to 1 12 oz beer.

10 years ago I had the opportunity to travel to New Zealand, rented a car and a bike and had a hell of a good time. 2nd day there I found the trailhead and met a couple of locals on the ride. The gave me a post ride beer and I was stopped on the way back to the room. The cops setup on a road and stopped everyone. I had to talk into the device and was $hitting bricks because of the 1 beer. Logically I knew I was ok, but couldn't help it. Anyway, I was fine and continued on.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
So this is just a share of what I learned a couple days ago. If you have more info to add/correct, please do so. It is a tough subject since it's part of what we do... ie, me.

[/FONT][/COLOR]
I hope I'm misunderstanding you, but if you and your buddies are drinking and driving please do me a favor and go get your asses thrown in jail so you don't run me over. I don't care if you're a mountain biker or a homeless guy pushing a shopping cart.

·
Mtbr Founder
35,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I will weigh in here a bit as I know all about DUI stops. First .08 is the legal limit but you can still be popped for DUI under that limit if you are impaired. Most of the time, there are driving indicators that alert us to stopping you. Once you're stopped, pretty easy to detect alcohol. From the point that you are suspected of being under the influence, the officer will have you do sobriety tests. They usually do 4-5 tests. While they are doing this, they are waiting for 15 minutes to elapse. You BAC will either go up or down depending on how long ago you had your last drink. They will have you blow into a PAS device which gives a preliminary result. You then can choose another blood or breath test when you are taken to a place called AIB (alcohol intoxication bureau). They have a fancy breath machine or a blood tech will come and take blood from you. If you choose blood, you are going to jail for sure. This is because they can't tell your exact level but the PAS and driving indicators are enough probable cause to arrest and book you. If you choose breath, you might blow below a .08. If that happens, you MAY be released and 849(b)'d which is like it erases the arrest. You still may be booked because you sucked so badly at driving and even .06 impaired the hell out of you. You will receive a temporary license after your arrest because we keep your actual ID. If you refuse to do any of the tests, your license is automatically suspended for 1 year. The laws and punishments have changed but expect almost $10k and crappy times ahead. IPA's can have 10% ABV in them and that is a lot! It takes time for your body to rid itself of alcohol. My final piece of advice is don't be a d*ck, just limit yourself or wait till you drive.
thank you, thank you.

And thanks all for sharing in and keeping it friendly.

·
F*** it
1,277 Posts
Good cautionary tale for the rest of us. I usually ride in SC, then drive back over Hwy 17 (full of po-po and bad drivers). If I go out post-ride for food/beer and the beer is a 12-ounce pour, then I'll have one. If the beer is 16 ounce, then I'll have a half pour. Just not worth taking the chance.

·
Life is strange
1,991 Posts
Thank you for sharing this last night at the Gap as well as bringing it up here. I quit drinking two years ago from mental health reasons stemming for a giant transition related breakdown and suicide attempts, but there were a lot of nights out riding where I was very much driving home postride a LOT less sober than I should have been. Its a major wakeup call and I think a lot of us have been just narrowly avoiding having to this happen to ourselves.
It took my little brother getting a DUI a few years ago before he figured out that it was a bad idea.

A lot of us are very fortunate that was haven't had to learn this lesson first hand, or had bodily harm happen to ourselves or to others as a result of our actions.

·
Shartacular Spectacular
443 Posts
I hope I'm misunderstanding you, but if you and your buddies are drinking and driving please do me a favor and go get your asses thrown in jail so you don't run me over. I don't care if you're a mountain biker or a homeless guy pushing a shopping cart.
Oh sh**! Everybody, SCATTER! They're here!

Sleeve Helmet Personal protective equipment Headgear Soldier

... are you suggesting an adult can't enjoy a post ride beverage without becoming a major danger to le public?

1 - 20 of 189 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.