Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
That man needs a cross bike! Pretty cool though. Mr. Crash on here (Mike Solis) commutes on dirt almost every day.

I've got a 50mi commute I do twice a week, and singletrack is definitely hit when the road bike isn't in play.

·
mtb'er
4,295 Posts
Nice! Name rings a bell. An SBTS guy? Maybe just a familiar Downieville racer name.

In the early 90's I was able to commute from the Oakland hills through Redwood and Canyon on dirt, then pavement through Moraga to Orinda. It was fun while it lasted. Then I moved.

·
Up In Smoke
Dirt Roadë
3,281 Posts
I traded my 15 mile commute with single track for a 1.5 mile ocean view commute. I do ride a MTB though, because its my loaner bike and the only bike I have with flat pedals.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I used to live in SF and work in Marin so I would commute by ferry. When I worked night shift after work I would pile on the ferry with everyone going to work in SF. I used to get a lot of strange looks in my scrubs, drinking beers at 8am.

·
Hella Olde
2,541 Posts
I used to live in SF and work in Marin so I would commute by ferry. When I worked night shift after work I would pile on the ferry with everyone going to work in SF. I used to get a lot of strange looks in my scrubs, drinking beers at 8am.
HAHA awesome. I did the San Rafael - SF Hunter's Point commute using Larkspur ferry for awhile. Salty fun times.

·
Registered
858 Posts
That is a lot of painful pavement and fire road riding for a full squish. The little fun section he talks about is the Alta cutoff in the headlands - there * is * a fun little bit with a cool drop and some rocks and such, but it's all over in about 10 seconds. From there I'd rather poach some Headlands, drop back down into Sausalito and take the ferry :)

·
Registered
298 Posts
That is a lot of painful pavement and fire road riding for a full squish. The little fun section he talks about is the Alta cutoff in the headlands - there * is * a fun little bit with a cool drop and some rocks and such, but it's all over in about 10 seconds. From there I'd rather poach some Headlands, drop back down into Sausalito and take the ferry :)
That cutoff is a poach anyway... I'm not sure why he wouldn't take the fun way down to the bridge after that instead of going down Bobcat. Maybe that's his real route and he didn't want to blow up his spot in Outside Magazine :p

·
Rides all the bikes!
4,489 Posts
When I first started bike commuting, it was 32 miles to work, leaving at 2:15am. Then a 10 mile ride to the train station at 1. And another 10 miles home from the train drop off (unless I rode the whole way). That was all road, I didn't ride dirt back then, nor really had the option to in that area.

Now my commute is 19 miles each way, nearly flat. Still no dirt though.

That man needs a cross bike! Pretty cool though. Mr. Crash on here (Mike Solis) commutes on dirt almost every day.
I vaguely remember Mike from BARF. I say vaguely because I haven't lived in the area in 10+ years, and don't ride motorpickles much anymore.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.