Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Finally these beauties are shipping and it has been a fun project from the first proto almost a year ago to finishing up production tooling and seeing them go into boxes and shipped out all over the world.The new Spider 29 has reawakened my interest in developing 29" wheeled bikes starting with the original spider 29 , Tracer 29 & 2951, I think one of these will become my main go to rig these days. We had to do some frame crafting to achieve the 17.5" chainstays with the 4.25 to 4.75" travel but was well worth the trouble as this combination along with VPP is magical! Nice having the G1 replaceable dropouts as I choose to run mine with a Shimano 142 QR12 setup.

Attachments

·
Lord of the Chainrings
2,925 Posts
Great job Jeff!

I like the Spider sticker on the inside of the chainstay.

Any plans on integrating the new "Reverb Stealth" adjustable seatpost internal cable routing into the design?

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The new Rootbeer

Rootbeer is here and this is perfect for those who want a more down low / organic color for their frame, same satin / textured finish as our Stealth Black and looks a lot like bead blasted ano.

Attachments

·
boomer
888 Posts
Rootbeer is here and this is perfect for those who want a more down low / organic color for their frame, same satin / textured finish as our Stealth Black and looks a lot like bead blasted ano.
If I'd purchased one for myself that'd be the color for sure! Hoping my wife's works blue ships soon; expecting it to be a beauty too!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Fantastic!
Your frames are by far the best looking, best riding, frames available.
love the new rear end
i have not ridden my new t29r but i know it will be fantastic
keep up the good work

·
T , V , & K Rider
2,342 Posts
Oh wow , I have to say while I've never had the chance to try an Intense frame or even see one in person....I'm impressed by the new Spider 29 pictures and the features it shows ! Nice ! TIG.

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
That works red might be the sickest color in the history of the entire universe!

I like the Spider sticker on the inside of the chainstay.
Me too. I wonder if it would fit on my old Spider 29er. It looks like the new chainstays might be taller.

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
Does anyone know how those new Zerk fittings work? I assume the bearings are open in their races (no seals), and the grease fills that entire cylinder that the pivot bolt goes through. Right? But when you add new grease, where does the old grease go?

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This is a special radial contact bearing with a one way seal on the outside face , as the new grease is injected the old grease ozzes out from the seal , you fill till you see clean grease.
We use a water proof marine axle type. The 15mm axle bolt does take up most of the cavity so you are not really filling the entire space.All our frames use this system these days and the zirk fitting are threaded so they are easy to replace should they become damaged.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That works red might be the sickest color in the history of the entire universe!

Me too. I wonder if it would fit on my old Spider 29er. It looks like the new chainstays might be taller.
Should work , as new Spider 29 chainstay is similar shape just larger & stiffer.

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
This is a special radial contact bearing with a one way seal on the outside face , as the new grease is injected the old grease ozzes out from the seal , you fill till you see clean grease.
We use a water proof marine axle type. The 15mm axle bolt does take up most of the cavity so you are not really filling the entire space.All our frames use this system these days and the zirk fitting are threaded so they are easy to replace should they become damaged.
Thanks for explaining that!

So, to grease the main VPP pivots, do you need to remove the VPP link to expose the outer bearing seals?

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No , there is a small gap that allows the grease to flow around the saddle washers.
These washers only make contact with the bearing inner race.

1 - 20 of 148 Posts