7,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IBEX Section 29 Pre-Launch Special: $999
Frame: Triple-Butted 6066 Aluminum
Fork: Rock Shox Reba 29 SL* 80mm Travel w/ Air, Lockout & External Rebound
Shifters: SRAM X7 Trigger
Front Derailleur: Shimano LX
Rear Derailleur: SRAM X7
Crankset: TruVativ Firex 3.3 Team (44/32/22T)
Cassette: SRAM PG-950 (11-34T)
Chain: KMC Z9200
Brakes: Avid BB-7 Disc Brakes
Levers: Avid Single-Digit 7
Rims: WTB LaserDisc 29
Hubs: Novatec 4/2 Sealed Bearing Hubs
Tires: WTB ExiWolf 29" x 2.30
Headset: Cane Creek S-3
Cockpit Set: TruVativ XR
Saddle: WTB Laser V Team
Pedals: Shimano M530 SPD Cllipless
* shock pump required

Awesome, simply awesome :thumbsup:

Jake :ihih:

Attachments

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Bike lust

OK, I parted out my Leader 626S in order to get enough money to pay for the Atlas. What am I supposed to sell to get this bike in the stable? Very nice looking bike and I believe the standover might even be low enough for me!

Bob

·
Cuánto pesa?
7,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Call_me_Clyde said:
I believe the standover might even be low enough for me!
Bob
I was having the same thought for myself..Also the overall appearance is stunning to say the least :thumbsup:

2007 Section 29 Geometry Chart
Frame Size 16" 18" 20"
Head Angle 71°
Seat-Tube Angle 73°
Effective Top-Tube Length TBA
Chain-Stay Length 17.7"
BB Height 12.4"
Wheelbase TBA
Standover 28" 29.5" 31"
Crankarm Length 175mm
Stem Size 6°x100mm 6°x110mm 6°x120mm
Typical Rider Height 5'5"-5'9" 5'10"-6'1" 6'2"-6'6"

Attachments

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Man, did you guys see the prototypes for the Atlas bikes? Dam paintjobs are so fine, i wish they would put up the real pictures for the Ignitions sometime soon, im curious to what the heck "academy blue" looks like.

·
Company CSR
1,027 Posts
taikuodo said:
Man, did you guys see the prototypes for the Atlas bikes? Dam paintjobs are so fine, i wish they would put up the real pictures for the Ignitions sometime soon, im curious to what the heck "academy blue" looks like.
Here's a photo in Academy Blue. This color will appear on the '07 Ignition-1, but the bike in the photo is spec'd out as an Ignition-3 (though with non-stock fork):

Jack

·
Registered
721 Posts
Questions for Jack, or anyone who might be able to answer

1.) What's the target weight? I'm guessing about 30 lbs.

2.) Fork clearance? The Reba doesn't bang into the down tube, does it?

3.) Any issues with toe overlap?

Not crazy about the color, but the price and parts have me very interested.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The site gives a target weight of 30 lbs. Not sure about the other questions you had.

It's get me interested too...don't really need a new bike but want to try the 29er thing and this looks like a good spec/price choice.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The site can be strange at times and I'm not sure why. At one time yesterday I could view all the new Atlas pics...then it was back to only the blue expert...then later they were all back again????

·
Cuánto pesa?
7,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
jthuma1 said:
The site can be strange at times and I'm not sure why. At one time yesterday I could view all the new Atlas pics...then it was back to only the blue expert...then later they were all back again????
The metamorphosis is not yet complete :eekster:

IBEX Section 29

·
Cuánto pesa?
7,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
notrelatedtoted,
Long time no read :lol:
notrelatedtoted said:
1.) What's the target weight? I'm guessing about 30 lbs..
You already got that answer..Its one of the first thing I look for when checking out new bikes..
(This Weight Weenie thing is KILLIN' my VISA card).:eekster:

notrelatedtoted said:
2.) Fork clearance? The Reba doesn't bang into the down tube, does it?.
3.) Any issues with toe overlap?.
If you think about the 2 questions :idea: I don't think R/D would let this get by final production.:nono:
notrelatedtoted said:
Not crazy about the color, but the price and parts have me very interested.
I've had my likes and dislikes on color before also but this peril yellow is gonna dance the Jitter-bug in the sunshine :thumbsup:

·
Registered
721 Posts
Jake Pay said:
If you think about the 2 questions :idea: I don't think R/D would let this get by final production.:nono:
Actually, toe-overlap and fork clearance are two concerns pretty common to 29ers. As much as I respect Ibex, I'm not going to assume anything - I'll wait for Jack to weigh in, thanks.

·
Registered
721 Posts
From twentynineinches.com, and their correspondence with Ibex:

We have no problem with fork clearance. The Section-29 frame has been purpose built for this application. It is designed for use with the Rock Shox Reba 29 forks in 85mm travel and has been extensively field tested.
Cool!

·
Company CSR
1,027 Posts
notrelatedtoted said:
Actually, toe-overlap and fork clearance are two concerns pretty common to 29ers. As much as I respect Ibex, I'm not going to assume anything - I'll wait for Jack to weigh in, thanks.
Actually, I think Jake gave you a pretty good answer and twentynineinches.com is correct. One look at the picture should answer any concern about toe overlap and the frame was designed around that fork. Allowing for tire clearance is frame-design 101.

If you have specific questions like this, it is best to email [email protected]. My guys here will be glad to answer any questions they can about IBEX products.

Thanks,
Jack

·
Registered
721 Posts
ibexbikes said:
Actually, I think Jake gave you a pretty good answer and twentynineinches.com is correct. One look at the picture should answer any concern about toe overlap and the frame was designed around that fork. Allowing for tire clearance is frame-design 101.
I wasn't asking about tire clearance - I was asking about fork clearance. I assume that's just a typo.

But there are frames out there that have this problem, right? The Zion frame immediately comes to mind. I've read of other cases of people having to file down the knobs on their forks so that they don't bang into the top tube. I wasn't trying to flame Jake - just noting that I'm not in a position to assume anything. Jake posts extensively on this forum, and is obviously a big fan of Ibex. It sounded like his response was based on his trust of your company, and not actual, specific knowledge.

As far as looking at the picture and determining that their are no issues with overlap or fork clearance, I guess I'm not that adept at making that determination that based on a picture alone.

ibexbikes said:
If you have specific questions like this, it is best to email [email protected]. My guys here will be glad to answer any questions they can about IBEX products.

Thanks,
Jack
Someone posted a thread on this specific bike in a forum devoted to Ibex bikes. You previously responded in this thread to post pictures of another bike. I didn't think it would be inappropriate to raise these questions in the thread.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting the tone of your post - but I'm a little surprised, honestly. Did I step out of line by asking specific questions? Is this forum just basically an advertising tool? Or can there be some meaningful discuss of all things Ibex, beyond what information is posted on the website?

·
Company CSR
1,027 Posts
notrelatedtoted said:
...Maybe I'm misinterpreting the tone of your post - but I'm a little surprised, honestly. Did I step out of line by asking specific questions? Is this forum just basically an advertising tool? Or can there be some meaningful discuss of all things Ibex, beyond what information is posted on the website?
Slow down, I think you did mis-read my tone and my intent. If you must have an answer directly from IBEX, then it is best to email us directly. We do not catch all the posts on MTBR and it is only over the past month or two that I've been able to check MTBR daily, or even weekly. I enlisted the help of our Tech Manager too, but he's so busy I think he's managed time for all of 2 posts over the last 2 or 3 weeks. Things are starting to heat up here as we get ready for the upcoming season and the beginning of our 2008 model and frame planning, so I have less and less time for cruisin' the forums. I have a couple of other guys helping answer emails, but I do not want them posting on MTBR. If they field your email and do not know the answer already, they will either check with one of us who does or pass the email on to us.

I think these forums are a terrific way to have a discussion on most any bike related subject, including IBEX. But, you have to expect it will be a group discussion. Jake gave you an answer, and it was a pretty good one. You may not have intended to be rude to him about it, but your reply came off pretty close. All I'm saying is, when you ask a question of a public forum you're going to get answers form all sorts of sources. Take them with a grain-of-salt if you like, but if you're looking for an answer from specific source it only makes sense to go directly to that source!

BTW, I do not know about the fork crown issue. They're not intended to do fork spins or even to turn that sharply, so it's going to be a non-issue to most frame builders unless it's a BMX.

JA

·
Registered
534 Posts
notrelatedtoted said:
As far as looking at the picture and determining that their are no issues with overlap or fork clearance, I guess I'm not that adept at making that determination that based on a picture alone.
Yeah...I was sort of scratching my head at that one as well. There does not seem to be an issue with toe overlap for the frame pictured (I'm assuming it's the 18" frame)...correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't overlap usually more of an issue on smaller size frames? Hard to determine unless we had photos of all 3 frame sizes!

I have some small overlap on my X-Ray, but it's a non issue when riding the bike...there is never a situation where I would turn the wheel that much to rub my shoe. I could see how it would be an issue on a mountain bike though...so, it certainly seems to be a valid question.

·
Company CSR
1,027 Posts
GregC said:
Yeah...I was sort of scratching my head at that one as well. There does not seem to be an issue with toe overlap for the frame pictured (I'm assuming it's the 18" frame)...correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't overlap usually more of an issue on smaller size frames? Hard to determine unless we had photos of all 3 frame sizes!

I have some small overlap on my X-Ray, but it's a non issue when riding the bike...there is never a situation where I would turn the wheel that much to rub my shoe. I could see how it would be an issue on a mountain bike though...so, it certainly seems to be a valid question.
I do not think there will be any problem on the 16" either. That's an 18" in the photo.

Road bike formats are a bit different with steeper head andles and the front wheel runniing closer to the downtube. As you said, there is little reason to want to turn the wheel that far. The only occasion that I can think of on a road bike is doing a track stand, but then you would usually have the pedals at 6:00 and 12:00.

I really don't think there is any issue here with the Section 29er, either. We're 3-months away from launching them, and there just isn't much more to tell at this point.

JA

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.