Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there aren't any out there built up yet (other than the ones for photos) but I was wondering if anyone had any input on what fork color is going to match the Black Ano best?

The new "nude" looks like it doesn't have the weave pattern and would look neat, but the black licorice would look neat too I think. I would just like them to blend as best as possible and want to order mine from the LBS soon.

Niner Releases Weights, Details on RDO Seatpost, 15mm Thru Axle Fork, More - Bike Rumor

Thanks.

·
Fat & Single
4,176 Posts
I reckon the Black Licorice fork is meant to go with the frame, same name anyway, should look sweet.

Its all a bit dissappointing with the new One9 IMO, i was at least expecting something special with the BB design to offset the step back in frame material.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats kinda what I was thinking too. It would be nice to see something other than the black, orange and white....but I think thats what they're going for. Bianchi has celest, Yeti has Turquoise, and Niner just really likes Halloween.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
We knew that there would be some loyalists out there, but we had very specific reasons for the materials change. The bottom line is that in order to advance the design of the bike, we need a material compatible with contemporary frame manufacturing potential. The original material, while historically important, cannot support current advances in bike technology.

We need a material that can:

be shaped. The advantages of tube shaping have exceeded the advantages of an ultralight round tubeset. Just as the infinite potential for shaping has helped us to create a highly tuned ride feel in our carbon frames, hydroforming has helped us to reach a similar potential in alloy frames. In order to take advantage of this, we have to have a material that responds well to manipulation. The original material is not compatible with our designs or ride-feel goals.

be compatible with new bike components. The newest forks are tapered, not straight steerer. Those that have ridden taper steerer forks can attest to their precision and descending improvements. In order to incorporate a taper-compatible headtube, we need a downtube that is robust enough to support it, but that still feels great to ride. This is easily achievable with hydroformed alloy, not with round tubes.

help us to create a better bike. Niner is a little bike company with 10 frame models. We do not do model years, nor do we make changes to our products unless we feel there is a significant technological advantage or improvement to be incorporated. For a company our size, we have made huge investments in our engineers, our testing lab and modeling software, but that doesn't mean we can take a model change lightly - it has to be truly better. We have built a database of info that compares our current, legacy and competitor bikes in apples to apples testing. In redesigning the Air 9 and One 9, we had very specific goals for ride quality, strength and weight. Our data, along with months of ride testing, helped us to achieve these goals.

Ride the bike before you decide - we believe that we have created a bike that exceeds the exceptional ride quality of the original One 9. Additionally, it is lighter, stronger and has better power transfer.

Cheers,
Carla

PS. Yep, we love tang. We also know that our riders want to build up their bikes with a lot of different component combinations. Giving them the ability to make a great looking bike means that we need to offer some neutrals as well as our favorite tamale, kermit and tang options. We do add colors to our collection periodically, just not on the model year schedule. An added bonus of our new One 9 and Air 9 is that the new material can be anodized, which does open up some new finish possibilities.

PPS. This post needs some stoke. What we really want is for you to use the bikes we make to get yourself here:

Attachments

·
Fat & Single
4,176 Posts
Scanduim tubesets can be hydroformed, many manufacturers for 2012 have went to Hydroformed Scanduim alloy tubesets eg Merida, Kona... with 1.5" tapered steerer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.