Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

61 - 80 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Slow loading forum

Does anybody else has problems with the above pics? I have no problem either on desktop or mobile...
Ues big problem trying to load the page, I found it from a Google search. Took ages to load I thought something was wrong and was about to go somehow here else, if you use a anything to compresss for web the pics should be at least 60% compression used, which get the pics half the size in data.

i use photoshop for living and web work, but here are other free programs you can use, gimp is one.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Damn! A swap from Conti Speed King II (which are already light tyres) to Furious Fred EVO LiteSkin would net me an approximately 230g saving!

I think I like this WW business...

·
Registered
320 Posts
80-90g savings???

light-bicycle claims 7-8g per wheel for clear coat. Have better things to do with my time than waxing raw carbon rims ... plus coming from a race car background I don't consider it a myth ...

I'm with the idea of 'raw'ing frames, also for carbon. People tend to be afraid of doing that and damage the carbon or weather exposure, I'd say its a myth! If done right we can get a lot of benefits on the process. I have watched a video of a high end company manufacture of carbon wheels for racing cars and all they do is to polish with a compound with UV protection...and that's it! I've stripped the paint off my carbon frame to find a gorgeous carbon texture underneath, virtually scratch free and can easily be buffed out and re-polished at any time.
I have used the blade technique, got some heavy duty blades at Home Depot. Its a looooong process; I basically needed about 2-3h everyday for about 4days to finish the work, but I'd say the blade technique is the safer way to do. Its easy to feel the difference between digging the paint and reaching the carbon layer. Once the blade touches the carbon its a echoey sound.
here is what I've used to polish:

....forgot to mention of course, I saved about 80-90g in the process.

·
Registered
965 Posts
80-90g savings???

light-bicycle claims 7-8g per wheel for clear coat. Have better things to do with my time than waxing raw carbon rims ... plus coming from a race car background I don't consider it a myth ...
80-90g verified. A frame has lots more area then a wheel set.
The raw'ing job on my frame is going strong now after a long time and I won't exchange for anything. The fact that I can throw my bike on the bushes, throw on the trunk of my car and no carry to much about scratching is a great thing. Besides the surface finish is awesome! Very unique.

My time spent doing this process was actually a good therapy...it all depends on the angle how you see it.

·
ACHOO
4,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
I really like this idea, especially now with satin/mat finish bike finishes being in style. If you even look at them the wrong way you get a shiny spot on them.

However, it surely must void warranty, and in my case kills the resale value unfortunately.

I've also been curious about the "exposed carbon" piece. People have freaked out with paint chips, and we've always been told to cover the bare carbon immediately. Interesting that this may be a myth. (?)

·
Registered
965 Posts
I really like this idea, especially now with satin/mat finish bike finishes being in style. If you even look at them the wrong way you get a shiny spot on them.

However, it surely must void warranty, and in my case kills the resale value unfortunately.

I've also been curious about the "exposed carbon" piece. People have freaked out with paint chips, and we've always been told to cover the bare carbon immediately. Interesting that this may be a myth. (?)

Yeah don't do it if you are the original owner of a most recent and expensive frame. Since mine was from ebay and older and all scratched up already...contributed to my decision to do it.

About bare carbon thoughts, 8:30min on this video, Koenigsegg mention all the benefits.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGGiuaQwcd8&spfreload=10

Also, as I was walking the floor at NAHBS last year and stopped by Calfee's booth, we all know how reputable they are in the Cycling industry and they also use bare carbon on a lot of their bikes.

·
ACHOO
4,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
80-90g savings???

Actually, 80-90g in savings is significant, at least in WW terms - especially for free. Although it appears to be very labour-intensive.

...and it actually seems like it is a myth after all. I definitely learned something today:

About bare carbon thoughts, 8:30min on this video, Koenigsegg mention all the benefits.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGGiuaQwcd8&spfreload=10

Also, as I was walking the floor at NAHBS last year and stopped by Calfee's booth, we all know how reputable they are in the Cycling industry and they also use bare carbon on a lot of their bikes.

·
Specialized
969 Posts
Again people nothing wrong with bare carbon . The epoxy resin is infused into the fabric and the vacuum pressurises it with great force . Taking the clearcoat off does nothing to it (well except make it lighter). I would make one point however that you should use a carbon polish just for a little protection (just to feel more at ease) and also bring out the shininess of the material . BTW good job andrepsz . I still think Phlegm that you should do the same to your frame but only if you want to keep it . I can understand if you want to sell it on in the future then you want to leave it alone .

·
Registered
320 Posts
Well, in the link you posted, they used the term " ... *this* carbon fiber material ..." regarding the reference about not coating it. It's a rather broad statenent to say that any and all CF components don't need to be clear coated for UV protection. As they also stated, most carbon fiber materials also don't handle extreme heat well, but they obviously are using some unique materials to fabricate those wheels to handle the rigor of that particular application.

Here's my own opposing view link

How To Care For Your Carbon Fibre Products | CST Composites

Not going to argue or run it into the ground though. I'm ok with someone else making their own choice on their bike.

peace, out ... :)

·
ACHOO
4,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
I think the main concern - and referenced in your article Unknown, is around UV protection. Looks like the clearcoat, or even the polish offers this protection. I think this is especially important for nautical parts that are not only exposed to UV all day, but also get it reflected from the water.

However, in the Koenigegsegsegsegseggs (Top Gear reference) video, he mentions the resin does not yellow, however they apply polish to bring out the great weave look. I'm not sure if he means the resin is already UV resistant. (?)

·
Registered
965 Posts
Actually, 80-90g in savings is significant, at least in WW terms - especially for free. Although it appears to be very labour-intensive.
Very Labor intensive. After doing this I understand now why custom frame paint jobs cost $400 over. But if someone is looking for a reason to stay in the Garage as a getaway...its definitely a task that will keep them there for a while. 81g saved on my frame to be exact.

61 - 80 of 81 Posts