Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
ACHOO
4,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Strange. Broken with Firefox, ok with IE and mobile (Safari).

Thanks for the pics, although we should probably figure out a better way to keep track as randomly putting scale shots in a FAQ will be tough to work with.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Can you (easly) move the posts (or parts of a post) to other posts? My idea was to have a reserved post (or better for tracking , couple of reserved posts by component category ) and when somebody posts pics with weights to move them /append to these reserved posts. This way all the pics would be in a single place and it wouldn't be hard to check once in a couple days if there are new posts involving pics/weights and move them...

·
ACHOO
4,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Ah, I see where you're going. Have spots reserved in the FAQ for screenshots of various types. I like the idea of having a dedicated spot for, say, seatpost scale shots, but it could be a lot of work.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Yeah, it might be best to hash this all out in the other ideas thread, if this is the "sticky" one.

It'll definitely be a bunch of work for the OP though, phlegm has already gone out of his way to revise the original FAQ.

It would be nice to have, but i think it would be better left for other places. I wonder if we could create another thread, that people could just dump pictures/descriptions in. It wouldn't necessarily have to be in order, we would just need to create a nice, easy form to fill out, to make sure that the search engine can rip through it and find it. Basically like a "post your bike" thread, except everybody would adhere to a specific naming conversion.... that way, the onus isn't on a mod/the OP to sort everything.

·
Registered
167 Posts
cranksets/bb weights

Building up my chiner carbon this winter, one area I found confusing was trying to track down accurate weights for a "crank/bb complete assembly". Really hard to sort out from mfr specs since some just weigh the arms, some the whole assembly, some just arms plus spindle and leave out the bearings. Annoying trying to nail down a good value/weight bargain.
Maybe two categories of weights in general - BSA vs all the press fit varieties. Is there a big gram difference between the two?
Most are still on BSA. For me personally, would like to find the best bang for the buck weight weenie alloy or carbon BSA assembly with good reliability. Is it mostly a matter of just making sure you're high enough up in a given product range so you're getting an alloy spindle vs chromoly? Thanks!

·
I like turtles
6,370 Posts
Nice work...very much updated!

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
Here are a couple weights. This was a few months back. I forgot I took these pics.

SRAM X9 vs X0 Type 2. I added aluminum hi, low, and b-tension screws to the X9...so it's a bit lighter than stock.

X9 and X0 RD.jpg

·
Registered
48 Posts
Cool thread! I'm building up a used 2012 Cannondale Flash. It's a medium frame the black/silver red cannondale logo one. I really want to build it as a sub 20lb bike! I've never had the luxury until now being in my early 20's, much more mechanically inclined, and steady income. It's going to be built w/ a 2013 carbon xlr lefty, stans crest wheelset w/ 2/1.8/2 dt spokes (stans 3.3 f hub/hope pro 2 evo rear) Shimano xtr 2014 trail cranks, 2014 xtr long cage rear d, xt cassette, 32 wolf tooth front ring (1x10), slx brakes, xt rotors, easton haven carbon 711mm bar, save seatpost 420 mm, silverado team ti seat, and some old 2003 xtr pedals (bomb proof obviously) Anyways I wanted to see what the best way to shave weight would be. Unfortunately I don't have the frame and fork yet since it's currently shipping to me so I'll be back with weight later. But I was thinking I could probably shave the most weight going from those 2/1.8/2 dt competitions to 2/1.5/2 revolutions as a cheap way to shave grams. Thoughts or recommendations?

·
Registered
965 Posts
Cool thread! I'm building up a used 2012 Cannondale Flash. It's a medium frame the black/silver red cannondale logo one. I really want to build it as a sub 20lb bike! I've never had the luxury until now being in my early 20's, much more mechanically inclined, and steady income. It's going to be built w/ a 2013 carbon xlr lefty, stans crest wheelset w/ 2/1.8/2 dt spokes (stans 3.3 f hub/hope pro 2 evo rear) Shimano xtr 2014 trail cranks, 2014 xtr long cage rear d, xt cassette, 32 wolf tooth front ring (1x10), slx brakes, xt rotors, easton haven carbon 711mm bar, save seatpost 420 mm, silverado team ti seat, and some old 2003 xtr pedals (bomb proof obviously) Anyways I wanted to see what the best way to shave weight would be. Unfortunately I don't have the frame and fork yet since it's currently shipping to me so I'll be back with weight later. But I was thinking I could probably shave the most weight going from those 2/1.8/2 dt competitions to 2/1.5/2 revolutions as a cheap way to shave grams. Thoughts or recommendations?
I think you will be surprised at the final weight on your build. Flash Frame and crest rim is the perfect recipe for a sub 19lbs...easy! It's a 26er right? Carbon frame? I've done that before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
48 Posts
Well Not exactly a 26er... (although I wish I still had one...)

The '12 flash that I have is a 29er. That's why I'm thinking a good number of grams could be shed from the differences between the longer spokes which are in the 292-294mm area. I'm glad I could get a quick reply! I think it should also be noted that I prefer a moderate to low weight tire. I'm liking the Ikons (which don't have the extra thickness in the sidewall (i forgot their marketing name for that)) in my area that I ride in. Mostly hardpack under loose, Northern UT area kind of desert. Also to be noted the rear D shift lever is SLX. I do have an XT rear D on another bike; but I don't see the point in swapping it if it's only 20 grams. Those Rear D levers are 2013 and newer (if that means anything as far as weight). Oh and correction the front hub will actually be the stock 32 hole front hub that cannondale makes (which I hear is pretty solid. If anything I'll replace bearings with Kogel bearings). Rear Hope is also 32 hole. I do prefer 32 vs 28 hole for Al rims as it just feels right even at the sake of 25-30 grams.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Oh and I'm on a tight budget, because I have a girlfriend that lives with me. I'm thinking a $100 budget could buy spokes that at my guess could shave 150 g of weight or more? Thoughts on the best move that are not relevant to tires, which should be noted that they are gorilla tape/stans sealant setup (which is solid if you're meticulous!). Of course after a few months of working I would have more money to thrown down on more luxurious upgrades that pose a substantial weight loss, like gastric bypass lol.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Try Sapim CX-Ray spokes, they are light, not so expensive and your wheel builder will thank you for bladed spokes ;-)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Rotors are 180mm to 160mm Front to rear at this time. They are the ice tech rotors. Of course if I lose like 10-20 lbs I'll probably head 160-140mm route. I weigh about 180 now and have some steep!!! downhills~

·
Registered
48 Posts
I would love to put some Sapim's on the wheel set I have, but it just seems like a bit much $$$ wise for what are the DT revos despite the fact they are round vs bladed. I'm my own wheel builder and I don't mind the esthetic TLC you put into the detail of a round spoke. I can definitely appreciate the idea of the bladed spoke to prevent any torsion build up. Not sure which way to go. I'll keep checking back for ideas and thoughts. Again I'll get my flash massed in complete and keep up to date.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sapim Cx-rays are way too expensive, like health care. like $50 average for roughly 20 spokes of this breed. Seems like Revolutions are the way to go. Let me know. Again I've build wheels and can tolerate the individual spoke under the 32 hole catch.

·
ACHOO
4,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Hey Adjusty - Why not create a new thread in the WW section, and give a full outline of what you have planned. You'll probably get better input there. Your questions here are buried in the FAQ, so not idea.

·
Super Moderator
6,776 Posts
Eliflap should chime in here too....Andrea is the craziest WW ever!

41 - 60 of 81 Posts