Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone used the new hope mono mini's? if you have please give me some feed back on them.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I think he meant this years models

I have heard mixed reviews but they are probably like most hope brakes, a pain in the a$$ to set up but afterwards very strong reliable brakes. I have a set of last years Mono M4s and the Mono Minis and I couldent be happier.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
are the new ones worth buying? and why are they so hard to set up? what is soo difficult about them?

·
Registered
150 Posts
The mini and the M4's got the a new lever for this year and hope is installing phenolic pistons now for better heat resistance.

They also redesigned the caliper and say it is stiffer and lighter than last years model, but who knows, it don't look any different to me.

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
flynnet said:
The mini got the a new lever for this year as well as the M4's. They also redesigned the caliper and say it is stiffer and lighter than last years model, but who knows, it don't look any different to me. They are also installing phenolic pistons now for better heat resistance.
This is not entirely correct, but it's a start. I have two 06's in PM and IS, and two 07's, along with an M4 and a V2 Moto.

1. New lever. I have measured them against the 06 and the overall dimensions are the same, though the 07 looks more compact. The biggest improvement here is the wider clamp. The lever is stiffer and more direct in feel. They function identically to the 06's otherwise. I have swapped between the two and they are identical in stroke.

2. Calipers are now post mount throughout the line. I have an 06 post mount and was able to compare the two and the 07's only have a few pockets machined in their surfaces, nothing more.

3. Phenolic pistons were already in use the year before.

4. Saw blade rotor design. This design is supposed to be mud-shedding, but it also appears to be a better cooling design. I've also compared the braking force between last year's rotors and this year's models and the new design offers better braking. The surface area seems to be the same, but this year's offers better braking.

5. Organic pads. Hope is now speccing organic compounds and no longer using the sintered metallic factory stock on 07. In my experience, the organic grabs harder initially and gives the impression of greater breaking, while the metallics offer better heat resistance, better modulation, but higher ultimate braking force. The organics break in easier, but they don't last. I pulled them and keep them in my pack as emergency spares. Your results may vary, it's just that I ride in wet, sandy conditions.

The other poster that made a statement about setup is not entirely correct, either. This is another inaccuracy from the old days that predate me that people continue to perpetuate and it makes it obvious that they have no current experience with Hope brakes. There was a recent thread within the last month where I chimed in with my experience on setting them up (search it out) and debunked this myth, and also offered some solutions for those that are hard to set up. They are no harder to set up than any other brake. Additionally, I'm not a fan of post mount because they center based on how far either piston moves and not by how central the disc is, so if a piston is sticky due to new, tight seals, you now have a hydraulic version of the avid mechanical. What one needs to do on any brake before install is verify both pistons are moving and by how much. If one piston is stuck, hold the other, then pump the lever and it will pop out. I also add a film of brake fluid to lube them. Install the caliper and center with respect to the gap, not the pads. If one piston isn't moving much and you center based on one pad moving out, the other piston will never have a change to break in that seal and move more freely. The rotor might drag a bit on the slower piston, but it will eventually break in and free.

Another problem I found on one of my calipers was the caliper bolts Hope included had thin washers on them that deformed in the caliper to adapter holes and because of this, the caliper was sitting on a "twist". I replaced the washers with thick ones and the problem was gone. None of the others had it.

Hope brakes are no harder to set up than any other manufacturer, but IS allowed more perfection in this aspect.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've found hopes to be easy to set up using the washers. I can only compare them with hayes though. That's all I've dealt with. The washer system seems more precise than Hayes. I miss Hopes old weird looking levers. My Enduro 4's feel better but don't slow me as well as my Mini-levered 6tis. But I do need to bleed the Enduros after harder crashes due to bubbles.....

·
Registered
418 Posts
ratboy said:
has anyone used the new hope mono mini's? if you have please give me some feed back on them.
I have been using the 07 mono mini's for a few months now and LOVE them!!!
They have the post mounting and are very easy to adjust.
These brakes replaced a set of hope mini's which were much more difficult to setup. The older brakes suffered from sticking pistons which makes setup difficult to impossible, they did eventually freeup but if you let the pads run too low they would begin to stick again. Very frustrating!!

I have the floating rotors, not sure they are worth the $, but they look good.
The 07 mono mini's never gave me any problems with sticking pistons and they have a great feel, they have more stopping power then my old brakes, that might be due to different pad material not sure but they do stop better and still have great modulation.
I would buy them again, very satisfied.

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
The older ones....

ratboy said:
are the new ones worth buying? and why are they so hard to set up? what is soo difficult about them?
... used the bolt and shim method of adjustment. Meaning, to move the brake caliper more inboard, you removed the bolts and added thin washers. Total PITA, but makes a lighter setup that is largely set and forget. I have the Mono Minis, last year's black ano ones, and love them. Great feeling brake.

The new ones went to an adapter/slot method, like Avid or Hayes. You loosen up the bolts, center the caliper by lightly sqeezing the lever, and tighten them down again. Adapters add weight, but are easier to set up, and easier to make rotor size changes in the future.

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Jsyk...

Phantomtracer said:
I have been using the 07 mono mini's for a few months now and LOVE them!!!
They have the post mounting and are very easy to adjust.
These brakes replaced a set of hope mini's which were much more difficult to setup. The older brakes suffered from sticking pistons which makes setup difficult to impossible, they did eventually freeup but if you let the pads run too low they would begin to stick again. Very frustrating!!

I have the floating rotors, not sure they are worth the $, but they look good.
The 07 mono mini's never gave me any problems with sticking pistons and they have a great feel, they have more stopping power then my old brakes, that might be due to different pad material not sure but they do stop better and still have great modulation.
I would buy them again, very satisfied.
You can install new seals yourself in Hope Minis without any special tools. $15 for a new seal kit and you'll have new brakes. I hear its pretty easy, too. I have a set of Minis on my trailbike, and need to do the seals. THere was a detailed write-up here on this board sometime recently. You can find it if you do a search.

For the short term, you can try dripping a bit of brake fluid into the seal from the outside to free them up again. I did this and it worked for me.

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
really? $10?

Jerk_Chicken said:
He's talking about Mono Minis, not MINIS from five years ago.

There is a tool required to remove the bore cap on the Mono caliper, which is about $10. The seal kit is about 10-15.
Its like a Torx that is 20mm or so, right? I've looked around for one at assorted tool houses, but have not found one. I prolly need to look in better tool shops.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.