Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
If you peruse the Trek family forum, you'll find lots of info, and several people who own them... I've kicked the tires, looked them over, almost took a test ride (would have if there'd been more time). Its on my shortlist, but I have to wait for funds...

·
Person
775 Posts
I don't know much about them, the only thing I can add is that Fisher usualy has issues with new suspension bikes.

Sugars had lots of alignments problems with the frames.

Cakes had pivot problems that took 2 years to fix.

Sometimes it's better to wait a year if you can.

·
Double-metric mtb man
4,482 Posts
Well, I'll say a couple things for them...

First, I agree with Baulz...there is often a bit of a curve in a new bike...getting the production "just right." My Cake is one of the last ones and they got all the bugs out. The bike rides great and has absolutely no issues. The HiFi builds off what Fisher learned from the Sugars and Cakes and has is a great design. It will outhandle my Cake a slow speed and still does quite well when flying along.

If you're willing to accept the possibility that things may need some work (heck, even the Fat Possums, the last "new" FS bike from Fisher, have had growing pains) then it is a worthwhile ride. If you'd like to be a little more sure, give it another year. They have sold lots, so they should get a lot of feedback to fix anything that still needs some tweaking... but it'll take a little time for the tweaked versions to hit the LBS

·
Registered
310 Posts
Trek had a demo day at my local trail a couple weeks ago and I had 2 buddies demo a HiFi Pro. They both loved the bike (one of them currently rides a superlight and one rides a sugar). I've seen a few and they are sharp looking. A stock large HiFi Pro wieghed in at 27.4 pounds on the LBS scale. Seems like a good bike for the money.

Joe

·
RIDE TO LIVE
464 Posts
The head tube remains the same height because the 29" tire with a 3" reba matches a 26" tire with stock 5 inch fork. Climbing is the same but the bigger hoop up front makes for a fast, stable ride that loves to hammer.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I think he was referring to the special offset fork that originally comes with the hifi and how the handling might have changed by going to a standard offset fork from the Rig.
I have a feeling that the answer is difficult, as there are probably more differences in handling due to wheel size than there are from the fork offset. But I don't have a 69'er, or a 29'er for that matter, so I don't have first-hand experience.

·
RIDE TO LIVE
464 Posts
Different handling, yes. Better with the 29 hoop in front, no. The HiFi geometry as a 26er is sweet. It is stable at speed but eats up tight, technical terrain with the best of them. Its a pretty quick handling bike when set up properly.

I like the 96er for its increased stability. I have increased confidence in tackling technical terrain at higher speed. It gives up a bit of the tight handling and it does not climb quite as well, but it flys thru the rough. Open her up, hold on and smile

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.