Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
New Guy
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are some pictures of my new Ventana El Rey. I have been building it up over the winter and waiting "paitently" for the snow to go away... looks like it will be at least a couple of weeks before I can ride it on the trails. Riding it around on the pavement the bike feels like it was made for me (I am 5'11" with a fairly long inseam and it is a 19" frame) Can't wait to get out and ride it for real!

Frame- 19" cosmic orange El Rey
Fork- Reba Race 100 mm
Brakes- Hope Mono Mini 180 mm front 160mm rear
Wheels- I9s with Stans Arch rims
Tires- Nevengals
Saddle- Pure V
Bar- Race Face Deus
Stem and Post- Thomson
Rear Shifter- XO trigger
Front Shifter- X9 Grip
Rear Der- XO long cage
Front Der- XT
Crank- XT
Headset- Blue King
Seat post clamp- Blue Salsa

Attachments

·
Biker Beau
129 Posts
Beautiful build!

I'm sorry to hear that you have to wait a few more weeks but I'm sure you are correct w/the fit and you'll never look back once you hit a nice banked trail & feel how well the bike hooks. I like the color combo w/the I9's and Orange frame, any chance you could post a larger picture of the bike, maybe a side shot to show off the beautiful color?

Here's to rolling the Springtime trails :thumbsup:

Allen

·
New Guy
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Last week we had some great weather here in New England... the snow melted nicely and the exposed rocky trails dried out. I was finally able to get a few rides in on my El Rey and I have to say I was blown away by this bike! First off, it fits me better then any bike I have ever ridden (and I've been on quiet a few) as soon as I got on it it felt "right". The position is centered over the bike and I am slightly upright, but not close to cramped and the bars and the saddle are at the same height. It took a little while to dial in the Rp23 and I still have a little tweaking to go before it is perfect. I started running it at propedal 2 with 25% sag and found that was too firm for most conditions and now I am running it at full open with 25% sag and that is much better. On the next ride I'll check out what it is like with a bit more sag.

The rides we did over the weekend were rocky and technical and the bike rode over everthing. I am amazed at how well it tracks over rocks and is stable at speed, but nimble and steers well in the tightest conditions. I also found that I was cleaning uphill obsticals like I had been riding all season, not returning from a winter off the bike. I can't wait to see what this bike is capable of when I am in midseason form.

Here are some better quality pictures-

Attachments

·
Gold Member
Wrecker V2 / Nimble9
1,197 Posts
Sweet! Have you used the Mini's before or is this the first time? Impressions?

·
New Guy
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
F5000sl said:
Sweet! Have you used the Mini's before or is this the first time? Impressions?
This is my first time using Hopes of any flavor and I am impressed so far. They are stop smoothly with no grabbing and they modulate well. They also look cool and are fairly light. I am also a big fan of the bigger rotor in the front... it gives a bit more power when you need it.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Dead sexy! Very nice build and I have always liked the Ventana orange. I think if you are going to have an orange bike, make it ORANGE!

You didn't happen to weigh the frame before you built itup did you?

·
New Guy
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dave in Driggs said:
Dead sexy! Very nice build and I have always liked the Ventana orange. I think if you are going to have an orange bike, make it ORANGE!

You didn't happen to weigh the frame before you built itup did you?

It weighs 27.8 pounds on our shop scale. I am happy with that.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
LSWillia said:
Last week we had some great weather here in New England... the snow melted nicely and the exposed rocky trails dried out.
If you're in Greenfield, I'm about an hour due south of you. We should get together and ride sometime, especially if you know some good dry trails this time of year. Your bike looks lovely by the way. If you were up for it we could even switch for a bit- I'm on a large Sultan.

·
New Guy
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
miles e said:
If you're in Greenfield, I'm about an hour due south of you. We should get together and ride sometime, especially if you know some good dry trails this time of year. Your bike looks lovely by the way. If you were up for it we could even switch for a bit- I'm on a large Sultan.

Miles e I'd love to go for a ride some time, the only problem that those dry trails we rode last weekend are getting covered with a fresh coating of snow right now. Hopefully the weather will go back to spring soon and we'll be back out there. I'll send you an email and we can set something up.

And, ya I'd like to try out your Sultan.

·
Get out of town!
1,442 Posts
I'm diggin the orange too... so much so that I just ordered one this evening! I really liked Superdust but I have always had black or grey bikes so I had to switch it up before I dropped the money on this work of art.

*Don't worry I live in NC so I won't cramp your style. ;-)

·
New Guy
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ridin'Dirty said:
I'm diggin the orange too... so much so that I just ordered one this evening! I really liked Superdust but I have always had black or grey bikes so I had to switch it up before I dropped the money on this work of art.

*Don't worry I live in NC so I won't cramp your style. ;-)
Everyone should have at least one orange bike is the way I look at it... especially when in looks as good as the cosmic orange. Can't wait to see pictures of yours.

If your ever up this way look me up and we can compare bikes:p

·
Registered
184 Posts
Very nice build. How are you liking the Hopes?

You're from Greenfield? I spent many summers there as child riding my beat up old Columbia BMX back and forth to the Greenfield swimming pool and I went to GCC back in the early 90's (where I conceived some my early crack pot bike inventions). Many good memories from my days in good old Greenfield.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I remember my old orange bike. Pretty cool until the superdust El Rey put it to shame.

LSWillia said:
Everyone should have at least one orange bike is the way I look at it... especially when in looks as good as the cosmic orange. Can't wait to see pictures of yours.

If your ever up this way look me up and we can compare bikes:p

Attachments

·
New Guy
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
powersusa said:
Very nice build. How are you liking the Hopes?

You're from Greenfield? I spent many summers there as child riding my beat up old Columbia BMX back and forth to the Greenfield swimming pool and I went to GCC back in the early 90's (where I conceived some my early crack pot bike inventions). Many good memories from my days in good old Greenfield.

I am impressed with the Hopes... This is the first time I have ever put them on a bike and they feel great. They modulate well, are not grabby, and are powerful enough for the type of riding I do. I am glad I went with the bigger rotor in front, for a bit more power. The levers are also designed really well for 1 finger breaking.

Nice to hear that you have some good memories/ things to say about Greenfield... Not to many people do these days...

·
Registered
11,715 Posts
Is it me or..

bigdrunk said:
I remember my old orange bike. Pretty cool until the superdust El Rey put it to shame.
does the hue of the superdust change from batch to batch? Mine looks kinda blueish while yours looks kinda greenish. Maybe its the light..

Im NOT complaining just observing

1 - 20 of 20 Posts