Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to do a complete swap of my brakes. I've never really touched my brakes so I'm a total n00b here. Currently I have Hayes Nines w/ 160mm 6 bolt rotors.

I'm looking at SLXs front/back with 180mm in the front and 160mm in the back. I'd be buying new rotors as well btw.

I've dug around and found my Manitou fork has post mounts, but I'm not sure what my frame has in the rear, how do I identify this? What type of adapters do I need front and back (post mounts to SLX w/ 180 means)?

Last one, what's 'no-fin' mean?! Do people really swap the hand for the front/rear brakes?
Shimano SLX M675 Disc Brake | Chain Reaction Cycles

·
Registered
323 Posts

·
B A N N E D
5,413 Posts
You don't need a new adapter on the rear if you're currently use a 160mm rotor.

Reuse the rear adapter that you already have.

An adapter like the SM-MA-F180P/P2 is needed on the fork.

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/t...0A/SI-8170A-001-ENG_v1_m56577569830667774.PDF

Last one, what's 'no-fin' mean?
Some pads have cooling fins, some pads don't have cooling fins, pads with cooling fins cost more.

Do people really swap the hand for the front/rear brakes?
In some countries it's normal to have brake levers setup a certain way, it might be opposite to what you're used to.

·
Magically Delicious
12,575 Posts
Do people really swap the hand for the front/rear brakes?
After years of riding motorcycles, I found it difficult to do the front brake on the left under hard or aggressive riding. Too much of my concentration was on braking and not riding. So I swapped the front to the right and all is well. Old habits die hard.

Europe is common to find the front brake on the right side. Perhaps for the same reasons?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.