Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Mtbr Founder
34,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm starting its own thread now since it's legit this year. And the other thread has a bunch of uninformed hatarade, Never seen it like this. Conditions are ripe this year and every creek is running now in those mountains.

We've had warning from other folks in the forum and we finally came across it yesterday. The location is on the Aptos Creek fire road climb on a very short descent, just before the final climb to the top of the hill.

Work was done there two years ago where two big diagonal berms were added to divert water away. I think we can say that it didn't work. There is a natural creek feeding this area and it fans out into the trail creating the mud bog. Then the water exits out 30-50 yards later.

It looks like you can cross it and that's what makes it tricky. Get in there and you will sink. Lose a shoe and you're done for the day!

There is a bypass forming on the right and the trick is to climb the bank and get up there and hike. Takes about a minute but it's well worth the effort.

At the top, 25% of the riders arrive covered in mud. One even had it head to toe as he said his face went all in on the sticky mud.

15672780_10154722870428213_5505072204261678606_n.jpg

IMG_5915.jpg

·
Mtbr Founder
34,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here's a sweet story from K-max. Gate was open so there was a couple wheelin to the top of Aptos Creek Fire Road.

-----
For those that weren't there, I encountered a guy and his girlfriend stuck on the other side of it on the way up, in his pretty capable 4Runner. After a few minutes of other route discussion, I just told him to back up and pin it. Stay on the high side, don't get stuck in the middle.

He finally stepped up and got in. Backed up 50 yards, revved the engine and went for it. Halfway through, the truck began to slip off the edge and right into the middle. He buried the bumper into the mud, and gunned it wide open. The wheels spun and lifted him out of the hole and through the rest of the mud.

When he finally cleared it and got out, he was shaking with adrenaline. I laughed and high fived him. His girlfriend was pretty impressed. I'm guessing they had a good rest of the day.

·
Registered
859 Posts
was this the one with the tree branch someone put in the middle of it? not as described in the other thread as being close after the gate.

guessing the tree branch is in the worst spot?

i tried to go mostly straight through what looked to be a decent line, only sank in enough to come to a halt, solid enough there to push a step (up to the ankle) and ride out.

looked like riding on the right edge was solid enough for several people to make it through.

didn't see any true 'ride around', not surprising if one shows up--is there a reasonable way to route around the creek?

p.s. how often is the gate open? that was a surprise!

·
Mtbr Founder
34,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
was this the one with the tree branch someone put in the middle of it? not as described in the other thread as being close after the gate.

guessing the tree branch is in the worst spot?

i tried to go mostly straight through what looked to be a decent line, only sank in enough to come to a halt, solid enough there to push a step (up to the ankle) and ride out.

looked like riding on the right edge was solid enough for several people to make it through.

didn't see any true 'ride around', not surprising if one shows up--is there a reasonable way to route around the creek?

p.s. how often is the gate open? that was a surprise!
There's two mud bogs, one is the usual one which is not bad and one can ride around on the left. This is the second one just a few yards after. It is the on the last part of the descent before the flat part and the final climb. So it is about 500 yards from the top of the climb with the bench.

·
Registered
536 Posts
The people on the other thread who argue that you just need to ride straight down the middle of it clearly haven't seen this mud bog. This is closer to a Tarzan-style quicksand pit of death than a puddle.

I agree that you should avoid widening the trails by riding through puddles but this is a different beast altogether (and it's a fire road- not pristine singletrack).

·
Mtbr Founder
34,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The people on the other thread who argue that you just need to ride straight down the middle of it clearly haven't seen this mud bog. This is closer to a Tarzan-style quicksand pit of death than a puddle.

I agree that you should avoid widening the trails by riding through puddles but this is a different beast altogether (and it's a fire road- not pristine singletrack).
We're gonna stage a hidden camera there. A bike on the pit and a hand sticking out may be part of the scene.

·
Mtbr Founder
34,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Correct!!!! It is a road.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
this thread sucks with no photos or footage of dudes getting stuck.
Oh great mud bog gods, we sacrifice these 2 pickup trucks to your greatness that you may let bikers through safely.

IMG_1245.jpg

I have no idea what these guys where doing there. They had 2 pickups STUCK. They where trying to pull one of them out with a big other truck and chain. Without a winch I can't see how that thing is ever moving.

·
Ride More - Suffer Less
2,658 Posts
Thanks for the heads up!

California mud bogs are like child's play, must have a smoke hangin form your lip and a few confederate flags to make it legit. Nothing like a ******* with a paycheck..

·
Mtbr Founder
34,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh great mud bog gods, we sacrifice these 2 pickup trucks to your greatness that you may let bikers through safely.

View attachment 1112813

I have no idea what these guys where doing there. They had 2 pickups STUCK. They where trying to pull one of them out with a big other truck and chain. Without a winch I can't see how that thing is ever moving.
That is an awesome photo. First time for everything!!!

G

·

View attachment 1112813

Nice pic Oren...let me know when you want a tour of China Camp, or Annadel.

·
Mtbr Founder
34,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

View attachment 1112813

Just ride through the middle, they said. :)

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Just ride through the middle, they said. :)
Sucks to be those guys stuck! Thats a gnarly pile goo!

Based on the pic, it looks like a ride around could be cut into the up hill side in an hour- what gives?

G

·
Based on the pic, it looks like a ride around could be cut into the up hill side in an hour- what gives?
Thursday it was ridable down the right side. Much worse by Monday so we hike-a-biked up the right side hill. No biggie, took 2 mins.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts