Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
sugoi chairinko
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has got to be my 29er SS. Probably the least expensive bike in my stable, and not even what I would consider my favorite, it's the bike I go to most, and seem to have the most fun on.

Case in point: this weekend was another installment in our winter indoor BMX series, and for some crazy reason, I decided it would be fun to try my 29er at the track. Man do those wheels look huge amongst a sea of 20's! I was shocked at how well it handles the track. There are places where I'd say it is an advantage over my cruiser (24" BMX, for the uninitiated). It carried me to a heat win and a second in the main against 5 smaller wheeled bikes, and I dare say that with the right gearing, I could've been in the hunt for the win!

Until recently, I pidgeon-holed 29" wheels as better than 26ers in very limited circumstances, but I'm starting to broaden my horizions a bit.

Not that I'm quite ready to give up my 26's. Or my 24's. Or my 20's. Or my...

Thoughts?

·
Registered
312 Posts
i only have 29"/700c SS bikes, 1 for the road, 1 for the trails...and one in the middle...

dont think i could own anything else

·
Registered
662 Posts
I've sold off my 26ers... the last frame (Santa Cruz Blur XC) is for sale and will end up in the basement if it's not gone in a week... to be sold in the spring at blowout pricing.

Otherwise the stable (like axcxnj) has all big wheels.

I too like my SS 29er (Felt Nine Solo) for just about everything - but since I'm just a few weeks out of some surgery (took out a big ti rod) I'm riding the 1x9 Monocog Flight rigid on the local bike paths until I can get back on singletrack...

It is amazing how much fun a SS bike really can be and how after riding that for a bit I couldn't ride the FS 26" anymore.

S

·
You know, for kids
1,570 Posts
My SS went from being worth the least of my bikes to being worth the most, thanks to a new wheelset with Gordos and DT 240s. Lovin' it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts