Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How many of you guys train for mtnbiking by riding across town in cities and suburbs on your mountain bike? Maybe putting hybrid tires on the bike? Taking sidewalks. side streets, back of schools, churches and buildings. I've been really enjoying this kind of riding over the past few years. I don't even know what it's called. But, it's sure a lot of fun.

·
Ilsa
55 Posts
mm9 said:
How many of you guys train for mtnbiking by riding across town in cities and suburbs on your mountain bike? Maybe putting hybrid tires on the bike? Taking sidewalks. side streets, back of schools, churches and buildings. I've been really enjoying this kind of riding over the past few years. I don't even know what it's called. But, it's sure a lot of fun.
:skep:

TownClowning
Pedocycling
Cyclestalking

:D

I don't think there's a name, so lets make one up and talk it up on the forums. Here's a few suggestions to get started.

Street Cycling
Cross Town
Curb Cycling

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
pop_martian said:
That's not training, that's just aimless riding with no purpose.

Were your answers in this thread not good enough? http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=582140
When I originally posted this thread I was not getting any responses here, so I posted over in the Beginners area where i though it might be more appropriate. Intresting responses over there also. This topic seems to hit a nerve in some - interesting.

I disagree with the "no purpose" part. The goal or purpose is to go find fun and adventure on a bike which improves mood and increases fitness. Through this kind of riding my weight, BP and resting HR stay down where I want them. Personally I do keep up with mileage or time spent and level of overall perceived effort for the ride. My philosophy on fitness has changed over the years. i used to grind through training programs in order to meet fitness goals. Now, I try to find fun things I enjoy doing. The more fun, the more likely I am to keep at it for a long time.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Joel. said:
That's almost the opposite to training. Putting hybrid tyres on and riding hard on the road would be training. Not up and down sidewalks stopping starting all the time.
Doesn't that depend on how hard you ride ? Been able to wear out a few roadies with this kind of riding.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
Ha!

I don't train.

I use a bike for daily commuting: usually less than 30 minutes each way. I enjoy it, except maybe some days when the weather is too miserable. If I am not in a hurry, I may include some pieces of singletrack through the green zones around town.

Sometimes it happens that I want to ride but don't really feel up to a "real" ride. Then I might just get on the bike and go snooping the edges of the residential areas, to see if I can spot anything that looks like it could be included into my local trail rides.

There's so many worse ways to spend an hour or two...

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
Right...
riding a bike is a serious matter. Every pedal stroke must count towards making you a better person.

Remember not to smile during your rides. Smiling drains your energy.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Gotta Know said:
junk miles
Not necessarily. Assume by Junk miles you mean miles that are neither well up into the HR zone and miles that are not low enough to be considered a recovery ride. If you subscribe to that training style - hard/recovery/hard, you can acheive the same thing with this kind of riding. If you are doing a hard day for instance and get stopped for a moment at a street crossing and your heart rate dips, all is not lost! :) For mtb training I think it mimicks the training demands of real mtbking more than road riding anyway.

But, I'm not serious anymore and just do this for fun and fitness. Some days I go hard and some days I ride for recovery. Just sitting here thinking about it makes me want to go ride! Going now! :)

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.