Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also had "issues" initially putting a saddle on a Moots post... Here's how I got my saddle on...

1. Remove both tensioning bolts from the underside of the post clamp...
2. Slide coins into the gap on the clamp the tensioning bolts span...
3. Screw the tensioning bolts back in being sure that the coins block their path wedging the coins against the upper part of the clamp... Alternate tightening each bolt progressively widening the gap until there is enough clearance to mount the saddle...
4. Insert the lower half of the bracket that holds the saddle through the clamp...
5. Place the saddle on top of the bracket lining up the grooves in the bracket with the saddle rails...
6. Slide the upper part of the bracket though the clamp until the grooves line up with the saddle rails... You may have to add more tension to the bolts wedging the clamp open further...
7. Once the saddle is resting in the bracket loosen the bolts from the saddle clamp and remove the coins...
8. Position the saddle and retighten the bolts and you are good to go...

·
You Are What You Is
920 Posts
OK, I need to revive this thread as I've just bought my first Moots seatpost. I've read all of the threads and I've used the coin method, but even using nickels, my screws are as far as they'll go and there still isn't quite enough spread. Can I double up (or even triple up) the nickels without compromising the Ti by spreading it too much? BTW, I'm trying to install a Brooks Swift. I'm not sure if they have abnormally thick rails. Also, I'm assuming I can rotate the seat forward and down in order to remove the screws from the top of the clamp after I get it in place.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
P-Funk said:
OK, I need to revive this thread as I've just bought my first Moots seatpost. I've read all of the threads and I've used the coin method, but even using nickels, my screws are as far as they'll go and there still isn't quite enough spread. Can I double up (or even triple up) the nickels without compromising the Ti by spreading it too much? BTW, I'm trying to install a Brooks Swift. I'm not sure if they have abnormally thick rails. Also, I'm assuming I can rotate the seat forward and down in order to remove the screws from the top of the clamp after I get it in place.
You are certainly not going to break Titanium. Use as many as nickels as possible. And make sure you like your saddle, you don't ever want to do it again.

·
You Are What You Is
920 Posts
OK, I finally had success! I actually broke a sweat installing that seat. Luckily the seat was flexible leather (Brooks Swift) so that I could pull out and up the side of the seat in order to insert the top bracket into the clamp of the seatpost. I don't see how it would make it if your seat is hard plastic.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Don't know if the SLR saddle is thinner or something ;) BUT it only took me about 2 minutes to get it on and riding it! Must agree though, it is a difficult and very unique system

·
Registered
355 Posts
I've swapped at least a half-dozen saddles onto the Layback posts and the Swift was the hardest for me. Seems to be slightly thicker rails and at least a couple of mm off on the spacing compared to the WTB saddles that I distribute.

BTW I find that 2 coins are almost always necessary.

·
GeoMan
1,706 Posts
I called Moots about this and was informed that a tape covered screwdriver works well as a pry bar. Said something about selling a tool to do the trick too.

I was in such a hurry the first time I put a seat on my Mooto that it went smoothly. When I had time to ponder, it was much harder...

·
Cleavage Of The Tetons
6,502 Posts
I have swapped ten or so saddles, piece of cake once you have done it a few times. Instead of multiple coins, just use a longer m5 screw with an allen head.

·
Who pickin the banjo?
286 Posts
Stick a file in and rotate it 90 degrees with a pair of pliers in a pinch.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have to say these seat posts are pieces of crap for what you pay. The method for getting the saddle in and out is ridiculous. My seat post wont stay in the proper position (the angle) because the clamps holding the rails in place wont stay snug. I talked to moots about this and they admitted that some of the rail clamps were faulty and they sent me new ones. Well guess what, the saddle still slips. Save your money and dont buy one of these posts. I dont have a moots bike, but based on this I would never buy a moots product again. One would think that for the money you would get a quality product, guess not.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.