Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Caveman
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quit the job, rented the room. Its time to get going.
Heading to Quito Ecuador on Sunday for the start of a 6 month trip.
Starting out with my sweetie, traveling around and climbing high volcanoes, then starting in December the surly comes out to play. Planning on riding through Peru, the antiplano of Bolivia and into the desert of northern Chile hopefully ending where I started down in Patagonia several years ago.

The bike setup is simple and bomber. I plan on doing lotts of hiking along the way and possibly some bigger peaks, thus the ability to carry more gear and warm clothes was needed. I'm using a tubbus cargo rear rack with ortlieb panniers. Up front is an old Blackburn expedition turned around for the lighter loads up front. Wheels are XT laced to DT7.1 36h with Schwabble marathon XR tires. 8 speed xtr, sqare taper, XT v brakes bla bla bla..

The frame bag is homemade as are the converted front "panniers" out of drybags. The everpresent Dana bomb pack tags along on the back, using the lid as a handlebar bag. I sewed up a little piece of ripstop to cover the pack opening in the horizonal position.

In general I went for a little more confort and weight due to the length of the trip and I've learned from past lessons :)

I'll try to keep a few posts going along the way.
and yes, the grips arent final yet..
Cheers
Eric

Attachments

·
highly visible
3,284 Posts
Wow!

Sounds like an awesome trip. Please update us or post pics along the way if you get a chance at all. Tubus racks are the best - after breaking a few aluminum Blackburns, I just trust tubular steel a whole lot more. Are your Marathon XRs the 700x40s or the new 2.0s?

·
try driving your car less
3,097 Posts
May the force be with you.
I have done some traveling in some of the places you intend to visit. Wonderful places and people. Take lots of pics. If you have some extra dough, consider a digital audio recorder for a diary and recording stuff you hear on the way. I did this on a recent trip. I thought it was kind of dumb when I was on the trip, but listening to my own tone of voice during the journey was enlightening. It changed.

Bring lots of zipties!

And little debbie snack cakes.

·
Caveman
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Endo

Randy,
Hope your knee is on its way back to being a knee again!

yes- zip ties, Its amazing how much volme and weight just having repair stuff takes up, lets see 4 tubes, spare tire, cable clamps, spare hardware, duct tape, bailing wire, 50+ patches, zip ties o' rama.

As far as route goes I'm staying out of the Jungle. Plan on spending a lot of time around Huarez and around Salar's in Southern Bolivia. Its the rainy season in Peru, but will be crossing the atacama desert. So lots of waterproof stuff + capacity to carry a few days of water.

·
Beware of Doggerel
665 Posts
Good luck

Eric,

I just sent you an e-mail to see what your plans were, then I saw this!! Wow, hope all goes well. Good luck, see you next summer.

Adam

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.