Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally, after a dismal spring and a couple of solid weeks of fog, the sun showed its face in St. John's, Newfoundland. We decided to take advantage of the weather to ride some sweet cliff-top singletrack north of the city, along the coast of the Avalon Peninsula. So after looking at so many amazing envy-inducing pics of trails and rides on the Passion forum, I'm finally going to give something back. :D

Start of the singletrack overlooking Torbay. That's a vertical 400+ foot drop into the North Atlantic just beyond my bike.

Lightly traveled singletrack. The cliff's edge is about 15 feet to the left

Looking back to the trailhead from just below where the last pic was taken.

Vertigo, anyone?

Steve riding a tech section

Me riding the same section, with my "game face" on. :D

Cleaning that section. The trail follows the edge of the cliff off in the distance

Few pics of the trail

Another cliff-edge shot.

Steve making it look easy.

End of the line. Literally. Next land is Ireland.

Unfortunately, this is where my camera's battery died, so I can't show you all the lovely grippy weathered granite around here. Lots of steep rolls and climbs. Hours of amusement.... Hope you enjoy these pics as much as I have enjoyed all of yours. And I apologize for my crappy photography.... ;)

·
mtbr Decade+
1,545 Posts
Very nice...

Oh man, Mr. Hubbard that was torture. I love the old home, but I've never been back to ride. Those shots are very sweet. Thank you. I was home in March and it looked like this....

Attachments

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Biggie said:
Oh man, Mr. Hubbard that was torture. I love the old home, but I've never been back to ride. Those shots are very sweet. Thank you. I was home in March and it looked like this....
It looked like that until the end of April. We had a really rough winter and spring. Is that Portugal Cove? I grew up in Topsail, just in the bay from there.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
VTSession said:
How tough is it to find good riding in New Foundland? I live in Boston and was thinking of taking a trip up there.
It's like anywhere. The best way to find the good riding is to connect with the locals. There are a lot of good trails in the St. John's area and plenty of folks (myself included) who'd be happy to show them to you. There are also some great trails on the west coast in the Corner Brook area. I'm not sure it would be worth your while to come here just to ride but there are also lots of other things to do, especially if you're into the outdoors. Hiking, sea kayaking complete with whales and icebergs, etc. Plus St. John's is an interesting little city. A lot like Boston in some regards, except much smaller. All the trails are quite technical.

kristian said:
No way--those shots were great!!! You'll have to do a repise soon and save your battery for the end. I wanna see the playground of weathered granite!
aussiemegs said:
wow that looks like an absolutely awesome place to ride! - very jealous :) and your photos were great! thanks for sharing
Thanks guys! Next time I'm out there I'll get some pics of all the rock stuff.

doogie said:
Fantastic man! Looks awesome, come on over to Ireland and i'm sure we could set you up with likewise singletrack! Great photo's.:thumbsup:
Think we could build a ladder bridge across the pond? ;) Ireland's high on my list of places to visit for sure. There's a lot of Irish heritage in Newfoundland.

·
amar la vida de dos niner
2,682 Posts
Nice pics. That does look like some technical riding. As for this shot, I have a question: just where exactly is Steve going to go next?? :eek: ;)

L. Ron Hoover said:
Steve making it look easy.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
scorpionwoman said:
Nice pics. That does look like some technical riding. As for this shot, I have a question: just where exactly is Steve going to go next?? :eek: ;)
:D

There's a nice transition to a long, gentle chute just outside the lower right hand corner of the picture. You can actually ride right into the ocean there, though if you did that, you probably wouldn't come out..... ;)

·
Steel is real.
1,268 Posts
Have tons of family and friends all through the east coast and have hit pretty much every part of it except The Rock. Talked about going to visit my cousins in NB again this summer as well. If I do I plan on doing an epic multi day ride out there on some of the sweet singletrack buried around their area.

That is one great post and those are some very good shots too. Love the one of Steve (cool name) rolling the rocks. We need to see a lot more threads coming from out there. Thanks for sharing. Keep it up!

Cheers,
Ska!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.