Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a beginner and for some reason I am drawn to the idea of a singlespeed bike... Am I a SingleSpeeder?

I see a hill.... I'm thinking, go fast, stand up on the pedals and get your ass up there...(not change gears)

I have a "Can Do" attitude. I thrive on people saying "No way you can..."

I cannot even presume to sum up the mind of a SSer in 1 post, but are these "couple thoughts" common among SSers? As a SSer do you think this way?

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Here are some of my thoughts:

-See a hill...speed up and attack.
-Focus more on maintaining pace and momentum.
-If I can't clear this section on my SS I probably won't be able to do it on my geared bike either.
-Learn to love pain.

·
Registered
827 Posts
D1PHAM said:
Here are some of my thoughts:

-See a hill...speed up and attack.
-Focus more on maintaining pace and momentum.
-If I can't clear this section on my SS I probably won't be able to do it on my geared bike either.
-Learn to love pain.
and:

-I don't know how to adjust (or spell) a derailleur
-I don't like bike maintenance
-I'm cheap and slightly anti social

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
grundy said:
and:

and

-I like to pass geared and FS bike on climbs...AND on descents!

·
Super Moderator
8,633 Posts
damn this hill hurts.....singlespeeding is stupid.....i could be having a beer.......oh look!....a rabbit.....gotta chase the rabbit......pass the rabbit......still phcuking hurts.....can't let the rabbit catch me.......game on.....

and then enters the A-Team theme song in my head.......blargh....

·
Golden Bears United
385 Posts
nasty naz said:
I have a "Can Do" attitude. I thrive on people saying "No way you can..."

For me, it's a "Can Do" or "Can Walk" attitude. I'm not afraid to walk, okay? :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Forget the beer, forget the beer, or the bikes with so many gears. Once you're as old as some of us, and ride SS for over 10 years, nothing else makes sense - I am in a hotel room right now. Missing everyone and thinking bikes - all of them with one simple gear. No need to clutter the mind with cassettes, shifty things, etc. Simple like that. Like your mom's cookin'.

·
Registered
210 Posts
CHUM said:
damn this hill hurts.....singlespeeding is stupid.....i could be having a beer.......oh look!....a rabbit.....gotta chase the rabbit......pass the rabbit......still phcuking hurts.....can't let the rabbit catch me.......game on.....

and then enters the A-Team theme song in my head.......blargh....
This is very much what my thoughts are. But fortunatly I miss the A-Team song.

And sometimes the rabbit is bambi or a cow, an xc racer upthehill or a freeride kid downthehill. But that is only a question of local forest polution/population.

·
Registered
75 Posts
"I'm having so much fun on my single speed. Oh look, here comes another big hill, time to mash it...going fast, starting to slow down, legs are beginning to feel like cement, slowing down but I've gone past three riders on geared bikes, time to walk, try to catch my breath, puke (hey there's my breakfast), geared riders pass me and look as I'm throwing up...I smile at them and say "hello, great day for a ride." Jump back on my bike and make it to the top of the climb, realize it's nothing but single track all the way down. Smile as I pass the geared guys again who are adjusting their shocks and prying their chains out of their cogs. Get back to the trail head and think that perhaps I should take one more lap...it's only a 10 mile ride."
That's just a little bit of why I'm a junkie for my SS 29er.

·
Registered
378 Posts
grundy said:
and:

whoa there, i have a $2500 geared FS and ive spent almost that on my singlespeed. i dont think cheapness is a good comparison. although with chris king handling my hs bb and hubs there is a whole new meaning to no maintenance(and no i dont want to hear about your cane creek hs).

·
Registered
827 Posts
thefuzzbl said:
whoa there, i have a $2500 geared FS and ive spent almost that on my singlespeed. i dont think cheapness is a good comparison. although with chris king handling my hs bb and hubs there is a whole new meaning to no maintenance(and no i dont want to hear about your cane creek hs).
that's ok, if you are cheap in spirit you can still join the club. just drink some ironically cheap beer, PBR is a good choice. maybe buy it in bottles and open it with a ridiculously expensive TI opener that is somehow part of your SS.

·
V-Shaped Rut
3,178 Posts
If I drink microbrews, design network security for a living and ride a FS that originally cost over 2k can I still be in the club? The bike is an SS and I know how to open a pyramid apricot ale with an old CD.

Being an SSer means you ride a bike that doesn't shift gears. Everything else is made up like a religion. :D

·
Registered
588 Posts
Hmmm, there sure seems to be alot of threads about what SS'ers think about when riding. I think about the same thing I think about when riding a geared bike... riding the bike. Some people need to ride more and think less.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts