Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe by now you have heard a little about the Megavalanche race in Peru. Many riders from Canada, USA, South America and Europe have been there racing and only them knows how hard is this race.

I have been racing downhill since 1998 in all South America and I can tell this is the hardest race! The altitude and the weather plays a big roll in this race. Starting at 4,450 m (14,600 ft.) and snowing it's a challenge for your body and for your mind!

Olleros
Riding Olleros Descent, a 11,800 ft. DH!

Marcahuasi
Casta I Trail on the Andes of Lima

Quipan
Quipan Trail on the Andes of Lima

This is the biggest race in Peru and riders like Steve Peat, Cedric Gracia, Phillip Polk, Rene Wildhaber, Mike Jones, Tomas Misser and many other top-ranked riders have showed us how to race in these type of events. They all went fast as hell since the beginning to the end of the trail!

This March 29-30, 2009 is going to be the fifth edition of this massive event. On the last 4 editions we have seen how the local people improved. By now we have maybe more than 100 local racers that will be attending this race with all type of bikes. From great downhill bikes with full suspension and brakes to hardtails with triple clamp forks and cantilever brakes!

We always start this race 10 days before, preparing our bodies and our minds riding all type of trails in the Andes of Lima and then in Cusco. Trails like Olleros or Marcahuasi with more than 10,000 vertical feet of descend are great for getting in use to "the long riding conditions". Then in Cusco we focus on the Megavalanche trail but we also ride other impressive trails like Lares and other shorter trails around the Sacred Valley.

Here we have a nice video we want to share with you:

www.inkasadventures.com/videos/Mega2008Peru.wmv

This year was great. One of the guys that came with us in this training-adventure ride got the third place in the overall results. I went fourth place on the first run and crashed on the second run (it still hurts).

The party is another thing to consider coming to this race. Peruvian people are friendly by nature and the whole event is a party. You can see local people dressing like 500 years ago watching the race on the higher section, near the start (The Megavalanche race is held on an area where people preserves more the Inca culture). Thousands of people are watching the race on the entire trail and that makes you go faster than normal! They give cheers to everybody and at the end of the race starts a big party where everybody drinks beers talking about the race.

Megavalanche Trail
Jumping on the Megavalanche trail

The Bikes
Bikes of the PRO's

Casta I
Rock Garden

We don't know yet who is going to come next year but we are sure it's going to be as challenging as the past editions. Now everybody wants to come for this race!

This could be the best opportunity to enjoy the long-lasting downhill trails that are in Peru!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
rmb_mike said:
Hey wayodh,

Have you ever biked down the Bolivian death road? I've been wanting to do the mtn bike tours they have. They start up near the top and bike 60 something miles to La Paz, IIRC.
The Death Road is a dirt road you ride. It's like a one lane and you have to deal with the trucks and the cliffs. That's why it's the death road!

Better than the Death Road is to descend 11,800 feet of pure singletracks!

·
Registered
875 Posts
wayodh said:
Maybe by now you have heard a little about the Megavalanche race in Peru. Many riders from Canada, USA, South America and Europe have been there racing and only them knows how hard is this race.

I have been racing downhill since 1998 in all South America and I can tell this is the hardest race! The altitude and the weather plays a big roll in this race. Starting at 4,450 m (14,600 ft.) and snowing it's a challenge for your body and for your mind!

This could be the best opportunity to enjoy the long-lasting downhill trails that are in Peru!
Hey wayodh,

Have you ever biked down the Bolivian death road? I've been wanting to do the mtn bike tours they have. They start up near the top and bike 60 something miles to La Paz, IIRC.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hola Lokomoney! We have Pachacamac that is 45 minutes away from Lima, near the Pacific Ocean. Pachacamac is "The Place" to ride singletracks without going too far from Lima. We have made there our downhill race courses and it's one of the best places to learn to jump. From small jumps to over 25 feet long jumps. Lot's of XC riding too!

Then you have the trails on the Andes near Lima. To get to the start of these trails you have to drive between 3 to 4 hours and you will get into 11,000 to 13,000 ft. of altitude and you can ride maybe the longest descends on earth that ends in the Pacific Ocean. We have 2 "commercial" trails but we ride about 10 different trails "near" Lima.

We have some videos of the trails on the Andes of Lima:

Olleros: www.inkasadventures.com/videos/ollerosdh.wmv

Quipan: www.inkasadventures.com/videos/quipandh.wmv

Lima and Cusco: www.inkasadventures.com/videos/endlessdhtour.wmv

I'm going to post soon a new video we have made in Pachacamac with all the jumps!

About the best time to ride in Peru is always! You just have to choose to ride on dry and dusty conditions or in wet and grippy conditions. During the rainy season is colder, more wet than in the dry season and sometimes´(rare) we can´t ride because it's raining!

Let me know when are you planning to come to Peru and we can help you!

Cheers,

Wayo

·
Registered
875 Posts
wayodh said:
The Death Road is a dirt road you ride. It's like a one lane and you have to deal with the trucks and the cliffs. That's why it's the death road!

Better than the Death Road is to descend 11,800 feet of pure singletracks!
I know. I've seen shows about it on the History channel and have visted websites of various bike tour companies.

Have you personally ever biked down that road?

And did you happen to notice that your post above that's quoting mine, is actually listed before my post? That's wierd. Haha.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
rmb_mike said:
I know. I've seen shows about it on the History channel and have visted websites of various bike tour companies.

Have you personally ever biked down that road?

And did you happen to notice that your post above that's quoting mine, is actually listed before my post? That's wierd. Haha.
To be sincere, I've never been into Bolivia. There are so many trails here in Peru that I still need more time to ride 'em all!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.