Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
41,444 Posts
The trails I ride are in an area known as Dog Park. There is a dog park at the entry to the trails, thus the name. The area is technically on the Camp Pendleton Marine Corp Base, but the trail area is part of the State Parks wilderness area. I was taking a rest near a hill top today looking down onto the Marine Corp Base. I noticed a toy hauler type of trailer in a dirt parking lot on the base. There was a row of mountain bikes just outside of the trailer. Then I noticed a bunch of people riding the bikes around in the parking lot. About 30 minutes later I was riding on a narrow single track that has 2 way traffic. I see a guy coming towards me on a nice Specialized mtb. I pulled off the trail to let him pass and he says " Sorry, but I have about 20 behind me..He was the guide and there was a guide on a nice YT mtb bringing up the rear. It was a Marine Corp troop all on nice 'Rocky Mountain' hardtails. The ones near the front could ride, but the ones near the rear were having trouble shifting down for some steep ups, and looked pretty out of shape. I could tell they were all new enlisted soldiers. There was a hand full of women in the group as well.
What great basic training and having a little fun at the same time.
Pretty sure they’ve been doing this for years out there.

Somewhat off topic: I used to ride standup jet skis off the coast off Camp Pendleton [which is illegal] launching off one of the best wave breaks for this, many freestyle pros practice out there. Problem is if you become separated from your ski and it washes up onto the beach they will confiscate it. I never death gripped the bars so much in my life when I was in the middle of crashing.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I am sure it was a morale event, not training.

Especially since their boot camp is down the street at MCRD. I think Pendleton is just used for their practical training during boot, the rest is done at MCRD. I wasn't a Jarhead, but I was stationed at MCRD.
I don't know about now, but when I was in, we left MCRD for two weeks and went to Pendleton for field training and rifle training. After Boot Camp, we went back there for several weeks (I was there for 6 weeks) to do Basic Infantry training (time depended on how long you had mess duty; my group was there two extra weeks b/c they had no incoming for mess duty). After training, most of us went on to our MOS school and the grunts stayed there for formal Infantry Training.

BUT: I do wish MWR had MTB when I was in. Even if not formal PT, I would have definitely taken part often. Also, would have kept me away from my favorite MWR activity (the bar :/).

·
Registered
94 Posts
Where I ride is a former army training base and half is open to public use but the other half is not as it still have tons of unexploded ordinance that they left behind to be dealt with by future generations. Better than Cambodia where our guys left behind more than 2 million land mines which are still killing and maiming men, women, and children.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Where I ride is a former army training base and half is open to public use but the other half is not as it still have tons of unexploded ordinance that they left behind to be dealt with by future generations. Better than Cambodia where our guys left behind more than 2 million land mines which are still killing and maiming men, women, and children.
Weird post, but: ok.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The trails I ride are in an area known as Dog Park. There is a dog park at the entry to the trails, thus the name. The area is technically on the Camp Pendleton Marine Corp Base, but the trail area is part of the State Parks wilderness area. I was taking a rest near a hill top today looking down onto the Marine Corp Base. I noticed a toy hauler type of trailer in a dirt parking lot on the base. There was a row of mountain bikes just outside of the trailer. Then I noticed a bunch of people riding the bikes around in the parking lot. About 30 minutes later I was riding on a narrow single track that has 2 way traffic. I see a guy coming towards me on a nice Specialized mtb. I pulled off the trail to let him pass and he says " Sorry, but I have about 20 behind me..He was the guide and there was a guide on a nice YT mtb bringing up the rear.
I thought they all rode Montague Paratroopers. :)

·
Registered
473 Posts
Bird Smile Beak Yellow Feather

21 - 29 of 29 Posts