Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The main problem with Timberbells isn't the actual bell itself. It's those riders that use them and think the incessant ringing allows them to pass other trail users at speed. The general rule of the trails is to slow down when passing others. I've come across more than enough "Timberbellers" that don't change their pace when they are among other trail users (runners, hikers, other cyclists). It's as if they feel they're giving others constant fair warning and so they come railing through. Slow down when passing! Be a good steward for mountain bikers in general. That person that you irritate makes ALL riders out to be just like you. But we're not.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I always slow way down when I encounter other trail users. They thank me for using the bell.

I imagine some people get the Timberbell and think it gives them a free pass to be a dick. So far I haven’t seen or heard anyone else using one in my locale though. I guess they like to surprise other trail users (and grizzly bears).

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
17,992 Posts
I hate those bells. I don't even like the sound of my freewheel buzzing. Give me the forest, please.

Oh I've got a bell. In fact I believe no bike is complete without a bell. I'm talking about a semi-automatic bell -- one that requires the operator to ring it whenever it needs to be rung. Not a bell that rings incessantly. That would totally ruin my ride. Not to mention the rides of anyone I was riding with.

Luckily I live and ride in areas that aren't crowded. If anyone rides in a place that actually requires the use of a bell that rings all the time, I'm sorry. I suppose the bell is the least of your problems.
=sParty

·
furker
915 Posts
I hate those bells. I don't even like the sound of my freewheel buzzing. Give me the forest, please.

Oh I've got a bell. In fact I believe no bike is complete without a bell. I'm talking about a semi-automatic bell -- one that requires the operator to ring it whenever it needs to be rung. Not a bell that rings incessantly. That would totally ruin my ride. Not to mention the rides of anyone I was riding with.

Luckily I live and ride in areas that aren't crowded. If anyone rides in a place that actually requires the use of a bell that rings all the time, I'm sorry. I suppose the bell is the least of your problems.
=sParty
Well I get your point. I like a good quiet freewheel too. But to be fair to Timberbell, their thing is that you can turn off the bell and enjoy the silence when you want. Then crank the bell volume up to 11 when you need it.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
My daughter has the bell so i can tell if the bell stops ringing as she follows me down the trail.

lately ive been taking the bell to my mtb class. My kids are quick to be first to ask for the bell on the ride.

people dont like being startled on the trail while they walk in zen like quiet harmony with nature. They appreciate the gentle notification.

my bell came on a christmas decoration/thing. Dont remember what. But it was essentially free and is only a single bell. Which i prefer. I hang it from a velcro stap on the bars. Use a piece of self vulcanizing rubber tape around my headset to keep it from marring the paint

the only people who dont like bells are the riders i come up behind on trail. Seems they dont like the idea of being passed.

nobody likes to be passed...

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I hate having to use a bell at all, but I do use my Timberbell when required. Usually it is because people running or hiking alone have earbuds in anyway and would never heard a vocalization without screaming. The bell is pitched so people hear it much more easily through music. I've also had people thank me for having the bell. As far as slowing down....depends. Some will hear, turn, and step off of the trail to wait. At that point they are waiting for me and I'm holding them up, so there is no point in slowing down. Otherwise of course I'll slow down. Either way I greet and/or thank them.

Now, people with dogs letting them dart to and fro on the trail.....much bigger issue.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Obviously I slow down when passing others, but I'll slow to a crawl or stop until the person looks up at me to acknowledge I'm there. I'm surprised how many people where earbuds on the trail and seniors can be hard of hearing and I don't want to freak anybody out.

·
Registered
210 Posts
what's wrong with just yelling out hey buddy can you let me go around please, no annoying bell and no risking life and limb to use it. I must be blessed to ride trails that I hardly ever see anyone else on while riding

·
Registered
701 Posts
what's wrong with just yelling out hey buddy can you let me go around please, no annoying bell and no risking life and limb to use it. I must be blessed to ride trails that I hardly ever see anyone else on while riding
That was my preference in the pre-AirPod world. Now it’s a brave new world of people (hiker, runner, mtb) in a complete experience bubble, distinct from one another.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.