Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Hack Racer
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sintered metallic Pads = greatest stopping power, highest heat generated
Organic Pads = best modulation (not as powerful as sintered), lowest heat generated

True or false? That is what I have believed for many years. That is what I have believed all the way back to the days when I used to race in SCCA time trials racing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
mondo - well that would sit in line with what cheers was saying. the sintered pads apply a greater braking force (coefficient of friction?) and therefore generate more heat.

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
Reduce the lever pull (force input) and one can get higher braking frictional force with higher coefficient pad materials.

One thing that's being left out here is the operating temperatures. Brakes often perform differently in hot and cold and varying degrees of. Some brakes out there for all out racing aren't designed to work under a certain temp due to their hard compounds (moreso automotive and motorcycle racing), though I've ridden on bad compounds that don't work ever until heated on every ride.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.