Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The inaugural running of the Lost and Found Bike Ride has just been permitted and will be happening on May 31st. Brought to you by the Sierra Buttes Trail Stewardship -the same crew that has brought us the Downieville Classic these past 18 years- this is a CX style race with lengths of 104, 70, and 30 miles in the mountains of the Lost Sierra. The long course has a monster 7000+ feet of climbing and is 80% dirt, starting and finishing at Lake Davis. A great way to start off the summer racing season.

Check it out at: Lost and Found-Welcome and join the FB page to keep up to date: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Lost-and-Found-Bike-Ride/826516420708040

·
Registered
538 Posts
Looks like an awesome ride and event!

If only it wasn't the same weekend as the only XC race I can ride my bike to....now I have to make a decision....

·
enjoying the scenery
318 Posts
In for the 70- that area is awesome

EDIT: In for the 100 - see how things are at the cutoff...

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SBTS just uploaded an updated and detailed map of the course: All sizes | Lost & Found Bike Ride course map | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Also, as part of the ongoing Sierra Buttes Trail Stewardship film project, we will be filming the race. With such a large course, I'm looking for any volunteers that would be willing to help us shoot the race. You'll get the same perks as the event volunteers and a fun day out looking for that great shot. Send me a PM if you are interested!

·
graps the nettle
519 Posts
Would you describe the climbs as steep? Pondering this one on my 1x10 CX bike.
for the most part the climbing won't be too bad. the climb coming back toward lake davis from genessee valley has a couple miles of steep going but is otherwise surprisingly friendly. however, since that climb happens somewhere after the 70 mile mark and is a good 8-10 miles long, it'll still make for some suffering...

Lost and Found Bike Ride-Maps

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm thinking I should do this instead of Tamarancho, since I've never been up in that area. Why ride where I have before when there is somewhere new to explore?
That's my reasoning for wanting to sign up for this one. I've yet to ride any of these trails, so why not use this race/ride as a guide. Thinking the atmosphere at this one will be fantastic as well. Little bit of competition with a lot of fun.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No matter what you ride on race day, bring your MTB for a lap or two on Mills Peak on Sunday. You won't be disappointed.

Also, I'll be up filming the Lost And Found and could always use some extra footage, so anyone shooting POV or willing to get some HD 1080p shots would be greatly appreciated! The resulting footage will be used to spread the word about the race in the future, thus helping out the Sierra Buttes Trail Stewardship in their mission to build and maintain some of the best trails in the Sierra... Send me pm or an email via my company link (in sig)

·
more skier than biker
2,362 Posts
I am in. Registered last night. I'll be on my SSCX bike so will be looking forward to sucking wheels all day!

And yes! Definitely bringing the fun bike for Mills Peak lappage the following day. Have not ridden it yet!

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Bummer, I have already plans for May 31th. I'll keep it open for next year. Sounds like a great adventure, but 60 miles is probably more than enough for me.

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
Bummer, I have already plans for May 31th. I'll keep it open for next year. Sounds like a great adventure, but 60 miles is probably more than enough for me.
Was going to say the exact same thing but this is exactly the kind of event I'm interested in these days. Maybe next year. Hope this one goes great for everyone involved.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Big event benefiting more trail construction

Our hope is to turn this event into our largest fundraiser and have a damn good time in the process. For those unfamiliar with this area, i can assure you it is beautiful and empty and big. Here's a map showing our plan for completing the Lake Davis Trail, using the proceeds from the Lost & Found. See you there!
map_earth.jpg

·
Registered
537 Posts
On the FB page, it looks like some riders will be using a cyclocross bike? Is it going to be that tame or would something with a couple of inches of travel be more ideal?

·
enjoying the scenery
318 Posts
It is not a MTB race or on trails. It is a high Sierra gravel grinder. I am rolling on 35's.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts