Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
snaky69 said:
Talk to city council, are there any guys paid to watch out for people getting hurt there? Might want to befriend one and he might let you ride.

Point out that due to the rubber tires and brakes, bikes do a lot less damage to skateparks and such.

Good luck.
nah, the park is usually really slow, just a few local skaters and younger kids. However, for some reason there are tons of cops in our small town, and I'm sure they'd ticket me. I'll talk to the council,

What are the reasons parks wouldn't allow bikes?

·
I post too much.
6,445 Posts
Lickqid said:
nah, the park is usually really slow, just a few local skaters and younger kids. However, for some reason there are tons of cops in our small town, and I'm sure they'd ticket me. I'll talk to the council,

What are the reasons parks wouldn't allow bikes?
Usually they are afraid we'll run into the skaters, or they can't get through their thick heads that bikes actually damage a skatepark a lot less than skateboards do.

Edit: sometimes it also has to do with insurance. They are responsible if you get hurt on their property.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Bikes have brakes, we can stop. Bikes have nice soft rubber tires full of air, not hard little wheels. Grinds should not damage the skatepark if it was properly designed with coping and what not.

I'm sure google will turn up a lot more reasons.

·
I post too much.
6,445 Posts
XSL_WiLL said:
Bikes have brakes, we can stop. Bikes have nice soft rubber tires full of air, not hard little wheels. Grinds should not damage the skatepark if it was properly designed with coping and what not.

I'm sure google will turn up a lot more reasons.
I used all of those with the supervisor of this small skatepark I made the bunny hopping sequence in. Now he lets me and all my friends in.

·
Renegade of Krunk
604 Posts
Vlad said:
Do what any BMXer would do: barge it and ride it.
Yeah that's usually a pretty bad idea, especially if the park is gated in. Once the cops show up you're screwed. Get this, we have a brand new cement park that got built by my house and of COURSE it's blades and boards only. Ridiculous. So, a while back a group of BMX'ers got together and protested basically that there were no parks for bikes to ride in. The cops showed up and a few kids got arrested and had their bikes confiscated. There was like a 10 minute clip of it on Fuel TV on Project Detention.

Anyhow, that park at my house has a cop sitting there EVERY DAY from about 4pm until 10pm (when everyone is there) making sure that bikes don't get inside the park. It's so stupid, I'm sure cops have better things to do then kick bikers out of skate parks. I need to get a group of my friends together that ride and try do something about it. Like it's been said, if a park has the right coping, etc a bike should do less damage to it then a skateboard will.

/rant.

·
dirt rules
3,050 Posts
E30Evolution said:
Get this, we have a brand new cement park that got built by my house and of COURSE it's blades and boards only. Ridiculous. So, a while back a group of BMX'ers got together and protested basically that there were no parks for bikes to ride in. The cops showed up and a few kids got arrested and had their bikes confiscated. There was like a 10 minute clip of it on Fuel TV on Project Detention.
I saw that a while back, AMAZING.

What kills me, is that the SKATERS who like to think they are anarchists, that skate wherever they feel like skating, and love to ignore NO SKATING rules and signs, actually have the BALLS to hide behind signs that say: "NO BIKES".

·
Registered
402 Posts
It is important to realize a township's motivation for not letting bikers in. When a town builds a public park they work with one of the numerous builders out there, some of which are good, and do good **** and some whom are for the most part concrete jockey's who don't care what they are building. There is around skateparks a collective mythos that bikes do alot of damage to parks, then builders who really don't know their **** or concerned memebers of city councils who read about other parks which ban bikes, just go ahead and ban bikes in the parks. So you see it isn't so much that anyone gives a **** about what the **** a bunch of teenagers are doing on bikes as much as they care about enforcing a rule, justly or unjustly established.

I believe the wisest plan of action would be to get all the BMX cats, and your parents(yes...ugh...parents) and go in front of the city council and ask that the issue be adressed. By involving one's parents whom support you, you appear less as angry-deliquent youths, and more like concerned citizens. Good Luck.

·
I post too much.
6,445 Posts
Lickqid said:
wow, I don't think there is anywhere near that large of a scene here, but that was amazing.
Knowing myself I would've gotten in trouble there. probably would've kicked the cops' ass.

Arresting a 10yr old. What the fawk. There are drug dealers, rapists, and serial killers out there, and they mobilize the police to get a few kids out of a park where they're doing nothing but having fun.

They should be lined up on a wall and shot in the face for their stupidity.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
more info, the park is never supervised, ride at your own risk. Would that mean that the liability issue doesn't exist? I plan on calling the Mason Parks Department on monday and explaining my situation and asking what can be done.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Man, good luck. I just moved away from Lansing at the beginning of the month, or I'd be there with you on Monday morning.

Have you ever tried riding at the skate park thing at Fitzgerald Park in Grand Ledge? It's sort of a hike from Mason, but I know they allow bikes. I don't really remember if it's good or not, or what, seeing as how I never rode it, just saw it when I was at the park playing disc. I think they have like a half pipe and some boxes and the like.Good luck though. Those Mason cops are a bunch of *****es.

·
Use this space for what?
219 Posts
There's a park going in here summer 2007 (Mason, OH) and I hope they let bikes in. I'll have to check it out

·
dirt rules
3,050 Posts
We have a bunch of parks where I live. There are 2 cities right next to each other, and the one with most of the parks actually has a law that says bikes cannot go in skateparks. Fortunately, it is comletely ignored, and bikes ride in all of them. :)
The one park in the other city is bike friendly thanks to the local bike shop. The owner advocated for bikes to be accepted. More of that type of thing needs to happen. If a park is being built, get involved, get your friends, their parents, the bike shops, whoever you can get, and make a case for bikes to be allowed.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.