Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
bike whore
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This makes it obvious that we must ban people in wheelchairs from parades. If that doesn't work we must ban all people from parades. As a last resort we must ban the swallows for creating a reason to have a parade. These are historically significant animals and although you can't trust them as far as you can throw them we must take what ever actions are needed to insure that these prey animals and their owners feel entitled at all times.4 People Injured By Horses During Swallows Day Parade In San Juan Capistrano « CBS Los Angeles

·
Sweater
1,949 Posts
This makes it obvious that we must ban people in wheelchairs from parades. If that doesn't work we must ban all people from parades. As a last resort we must ban the swallows for creating a reason to have a parade. These are historically significant animals and although you can't trust them as far as you can throw them we must take what ever actions are needed to insure that these prey animals and their owners feel entitled at all times.4 People Injured By Horses During Swallows Day Parade In San Juan Capistrano « CBS Los Angeles
You're confusing Foot Traffic with Wheeled Traffic. That is clearly Wheeled Traffic given the wagons and therefore mountain bikers are to blame.

·
Over it
3,799 Posts
Can you imagine how it would play out if our little mountain bikes could get spooked, roll away from us, and randomly injure people?!

Btw- "Spooked" is a nice euphemism for losing control of your massive pea-brained beast!

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
I'm not really sure what this thread is supposed to be about.:confused:
The mtn biking community is not in an 'assault against equestrians'. We need to get that mentality out of our minds completely. 99% of equestrians are great people that have no problem with sharing the trails with us.

Now, when the 1% of equestrians show up on social media, committee meetings, etc, claiming 'safety' as a reason to exclude us, we can use examples like this parade to defend ourselves.

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
The assault on equestrian sympathies must be aired and acknowledged. This is a group, whether the proposed 1% or as a body, has gone out of their way to employ mythic negativity concerning erosion, danger, and damage to keep us off of what they have seen as their trails. What is happening is a backlash. What is being revealed is that we are not the danger but that equestrians are their own worst enemy and that makes riders angry at having been manipulated, besmirched, and excluded.

Fair enough? That said, I doubt our goal is to get them off the trails but to knock them back a few pegs and get to what could be a level playing field. It is an expression of a new confidence the mountain bikers have about their place in society and their right to access.

One hopes that we can be gracious enough to be generous and forgiving in the end. But we aren't there yet.

·
bike whore
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My point wasn't that there is an active aasault on the equestrians from the MTB community. It is the way the 1% (your being really generous with that number from my expereince) want to frame the argument. I guess the humor and irony that I tried to convey in the post was lost on you.

·
I like mtn biking, too
3,267 Posts
Also to add to any/all accurate representations made here, let's just say they are localized to Marin, and where they are not localized in Marin, they originated from Marin.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
The assault on equestrian sympathies must be aired and acknowledged. This is a group, whether the proposed 1% or as a body, has gone out of their way to employ mythic negativity concerning erosion, danger, and damage to keep us off of what they have seen as their trails. What is happening is a backlash. What is being revealed is that we are not the danger but that equestrians are their own worst enemy and that makes riders angry at having been manipulated, besmirched, and excluded.

Fair enough? That said, I doubt our goal is to get them off the trails but to knock them back a few pegs and get to what could be a level playing field. It is an expression of a new confidence the mountain bikers have about their place in society and their right to access.

One hopes that we can be gracious enough to be generous and forgiving in the end. But we aren't there yet.
No, not really, fvck horses.

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
The assault on equestrian sympathies must be aired and acknowledged. This is a group, whether the proposed 1% or as a body, has gone out of their way to employ mythic negativity concerning erosion, danger, and damage to keep us off of what they have seen as
Erosion? that pretty funny, next time you hear that direct them to page 26 of this National Parks service report:
http://www.pwrc.usgs.gov/prodabs/pubpdfs/6612_marion.pdf

(Horses account) for 35.5% of aggregate soil loss, followed by ATV's (8.0%), hikers (5.9%) and mountain bikes
(0.1%). These data are not presented to apportion blame to specific use types, rather to emphasize
that managers seeking to accommodate horse and ATV uses should acknowledge their higher
potential for eroding soil and incorporate improved trail design, construction, maintenance and
visitor use management practices to ensure that such uses are sustainable.

·
Registered
187 Posts
The title of this thread seems un-necessarily confrontational. I can just imagine the 1% of mentioned equestrians (who we know lurk on mtbr) using the title of this thread as a recruiting tool. Just makes it look like we are gunning for them. "huge prey animals gone wild" or "bikes not involved in latest horse panic incident" or "good horses/bad owners" might be less antagonistic - I guess all I'm trying to say is we don't want to make the Mike Duffys of he world think the mountain biking community is a threat

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Erosion? that pretty funny, next time you hear that direct them to page 26 of this National Parks service report:
http://www.pwrc.usgs.gov/prodabs/pubpdfs/6612_marion.pdf

(Horses account) for 35.5% of aggregate soil loss, followed by ATV's (8.0%), hikers (5.9%) and mountain bikes
(0.1%). These data are not presented to apportion blame to specific use types, rather to emphasize
that managers seeking to accommodate horse and ATV uses should acknowledge their higher
potential for eroding soil and incorporate improved trail design, construction, maintenance and
visitor use management practices to ensure that such uses are sustainable.
Here, in Marin, lately they have stepped away from the erosion theory. I believe, because they know its a huge load of crap. They have joined with the hikers so they now say they are in the 76% of users and bikes are now unsafe. It's all about the safety issue, and they will lose that one too.

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
The title of this thread seems un-necessarily confrontational. I guess all I'm trying to say is we don't want to make the Mike Duffys of he world think the mountain biking community is a threat
This is exactly how the equestrian community has seen us from the get-go. We have always been seen as the nose of the camel at the tent. So what else is new?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.