Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Old Guy that rides
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
With the imminent incarceration of 5th grade looming in the near future I ask my son what he wants to do on the last weekend before his first day of school. "Let's go to Northstar Dad!", he says. I pondered the idea for a few nano seconds and agreed that a trip was in order. So we load up the bikes and camping gear and away we went for a few days of mountain biking fun.

Kyle's favorite trails are Sinuous, Flameout, and W.T.

The North Shore style stunts at mid-mountain are fun to play on.

And a swim in the river afterwards is quite refreshing

And some sights from the campsite

I found this photo from our trip a year ago. I think this is going to be an annual back to school tradition

Attachments

·
Registered
303 Posts
Absolutely sick bike for a fifth grader. And I thought I was cool to have a Klein Pulse Comp when I was in fifth grade. I wish you were my dad.....

·
2,548 Posts
VERY cool way to celebrate "the end of summer". Very impressive rider for a 5th grader - kudos to you and yer kiddo, there :D They start school early, here in Maryville TN - kids went back to school on Aug 2 (which is WAY early, by my northern upbringing standards...LOL !! ) Am working on my son (2nd grade) - he's getting braver on his bike, hope to get him on a trail eventually (he just got his first bike with gears/rim brakes, and adapted way faster than I thought - I was a-fearin' many faceplants, beings as he's never had a front brake b4). Kids are amazing, if ya take the time to appreciate, and it looks like you do. congrats !!!

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
wow!! amazing for a fifth grader...

he's got some game!!

my son is also going into fifth, just turned 10 but he's small for his age. i take him fairly often on xc rides (china camp, foresthill divide, etc.) but he's not strong enough for those technical trails you got him onto at northstar...i do enjoy riding with him though, wish we could find more time and trails in the bay area that aren't too steep...

·
Old Guy that rides
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lil grom's everywhere

There were some more lil grom's running around having a good time. Here are a few more pics.

Attachments

·
Old Guy that rides
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
more brave ones

OGDHr said:
There were some more lil grom's running around having a good time. Here are a few more pics.
These kids were trying a line I showed them down this section on WT

Attachments

·
Registered
629 Posts
thats so sick, I wish i had started as early as he did. Hes going to be awesome when hes older. What kinda bike is he riding? Is it a kona dawg?

·
Registered
44 Posts
ajw8899 said:
thats so sick, I wish i had started as early as he did. Hes going to be awesome when hes older. What kinda bike is he riding? Is it a kona dawg?
Looks like a 2002 Kona Kahuna with upgraded components to me...

·
Old Guy that rides
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Kona Stinky Jr

ajw8899 said:
It's a Kona Stinky Jr that I built up. I didn't like the weight or spec on the complete bike so I got the frame and built it with a Fox Vanilla 125 RLC, Vanilla RC rear shock, RaceFace Northshore 165mm cranks, MRP LRP guide, Hayes HFX disc brakes, Titec bar/stem/seatpost, Arrow Racing wheels/tires, Azonic pedals, and a WTB seat.

Attachments

·
the bomb
531 Posts
can you upgrade that to 26" wheels

OGDHr said:
It's a Kona Stinky Jr that I built up. I didn't like the weight or spec on the complete bike so I got the frame and built it with a Fox Vanilla 125 RLC, Vanilla RC rear shock, RaceFace Northshore 165mm cranks, MRP LRP guide, Hayes HFX disc brakes, Titec bar/stem/seatpost, Arrow Racing wheels/tires, Azonic pedals, and a WTB seat.
Fast Eddy & I were talking about this once. I thought it was the same size frame as the smallest 26" but with 24" wheels. Can you upgrade to 26" wheels when he gets bigger?

·
Old Guy that rides
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Kona Jr.

pfunk said:
Fast Eddy & I were talking about this once. I thought it was the same size frame as the smallest 26" but with 24" wheels. Can you upgrade to 26" wheels when he gets bigger?
No the rear can only take a 24" wheel. Kyle is almost 5' tall and there is still plenty of room for him on this size frame. One thing about freeride/DH frames is it's better to be a bit small than too large. It's a 13" frame compared to a 15" size small Stinky. The chainstay on the Jr is 16.0 vs 17.3 for the full size model so I doubt if there is anyway to fit a larger wheel on there.

·
Medium?
6,728 Posts
That's pretty funny.

We went to the same spot in the river after our trip there. My son rides all those trails on his hardtail. Well, some of 'em.

Awesome trip. Ours start school tomorrow too. We went skiing today instead of riding though...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts