Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
motoman711 said:
The snow is melting so that condition should probably change soon. I am hoping so anyway!
Ah yes, my tires got a nice snow cleaning, but only for a limited time this year. We are blessed with fast and dry trails already in many of the local spots.

·
Kill your... television
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mud'n'sweat said:
Ah yes, my tires got a nice snow cleaning, but only for a limited time this year. We are blessed with fast and dry trails already in many of the local spots.
I am afraid it is going to be a slopfest around these parts for the next month or so... Probably have to ride the road for the next while :mad:

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Yeah, the one thing I don't miss about living in Colorado is the mud season. Well, the lack of good woman too. I do however miss the the POW that causes all the comotion on the trails!

·
Negative Rep Points!!!!
4,162 Posts
motoman711 said:
I picked up some hand-me-down brakes from Aqua for my steed. We'll see if they work better than my JJ tuned BB7s.
Don't be silly...there is no such thing as "The last upgrade"!

Looks like you threw some new pads on the front?

How do the levers feel?

Go hit some curb drops and report back!

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Nice upgrade, guess Aqua didn't need them after he switched up to the new '07 stuff - I think he and Fo' have like "Bat Lines" directly to Hope and Mtn High.

·
recognize the slowness
483 Posts
Aquaholic said:

How do the levers feel?

Could I have some hand-me-downs like that?:thumbsup:

It really is good of you to recycle rather that contribute to the landfill probs.:p

·
Kill your... television
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Aquaholic said:

How do the levers feel?

No new pads. Did you gice me some clapped out worn out ones or something? Metal to metal?

The levers feel sweet. Buttery smooth.

curbs are scared.

·
Kill your... television
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hubert said:
@Motoman,

Have you had any problems with your BB7s?
I have not had a single problem with the BB7s. They really are a fantastic brake (I have Avid Ultimate levers and stainless tubing instead of brake housing). But, when Aqua said that he was getting the '07s I thought it would be nice to try these out.

·
Negative Rep Points!!!!
4,162 Posts
I really think this incarnation of Hope brakes was tricker. I'm not a big fan of post mount brakes on either end of my steed. I like the simplicity and lack of extra adapters, hardware, etc., of what you have, compared to the '07's.

It's unfortunate that Hope doesn't offer the IS mount caliper paired up with their pimpy new lever/reservour.

I think that you'll find that these Hopes are no more powerful than the BB7's. When I rode JJ's personal bikes sporting BB7's, I felt that they had just as much, if not more braking power than my Hopes.

However...the modulation seems a bit better with the Hydros. And the Pimp factor of the Hopes compared to those 19th century anchors....there simply is no comparison.

Attachments

·
Kill your... television
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey Photohaulic! Keep your pimp pictures to your own threads pal.

I agree about the IS mounts versus post mounts with an adapter. A much cleaner set-up. Do you feel a performance difference between the '06 and the '07 brakes? Honestly I think that these brakes are way over-kill for a rigid singlespeed. They do look dead sexy though.

·
Negative Rep Points!!!!
4,162 Posts
motoman711 said:
Hey Photohaulic! Keep your pimp pictures to your own threads pal.

Do you feel a performance difference between the '06 and the '07 brakes?
No difference at all. The biggest thing I've noticed is that my wallet is now lighter.

·
Kill your... television
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Aquaholic said:
Just to get you thinking about your next upgrade.

Carbon levers, custom reservour caps, Ti hardware. Gun metal ano. 295 grams.
That would actually add some color to my bike.. the red adjustment knobs on the BB7 were about the last thing left.

I definitely need some Ti hardware though.

·
Misfit Psycles
2,772 Posts
moto i think that it is super-duper you have such a solid mentor and hero in aqua.

you copy his bike, you copy his bars, you take his hand-me-downs...so long as it stops prior to underwear swapping it seems healthy enough...hell maybe one day you will be able to ride like he does.
when i was little i liked to pretend i was han solo.

anyway, as far as declaring THE LAST UPGRADE - i think you better ask aqua before making such a statement...

Attachments

·
uh, uh...oh, i forget
1,039 Posts
Aquaholic said:
I really think this incarnation of Hope brakes was tricker. I'm not a big fan of post mount brakes on either end of my steed. I like the simplicity and lack of extra adapters, hardware, etc., of what you have, compared to the '07's.

It's unfortunate that Hope doesn't offer the IS mount caliper paired up with their pimpy new lever/reservour.

I think that you'll find that these Hopes are no more powerful than the BB7's. When I rode JJ's personal bikes sporting BB7's, I felt that they had just as much, if not more braking power than my Hopes.

However...the modulation seems a bit better with the Hydros. And the Pimp factor of the Hopes compared to those 19th century anchors....there simply is no comparison.
is it just me or do those levers look like hope let someone from the weight weenie forum take a dremel to them:skep:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts