Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
ravingbikefiend
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We went on a little ice ride today and happened to stop by the Hardcore shop here in Edmonton which was also home to Moulden Bicycle Works until Jim decided to start building houses instead of bikes.

We were really fortunate to catch a glimpse of the last Moulden frame ever built which is in the process of being dressed up for the town or rather, some blazing cyclocross action. This frame was built in 2003 and I am guessing that underneath the paint lies a frame made of Reynold's tubing.

There are less than 50 Moulden frames in existance and perhaps I might be fortunate enough one day to own one of these beauties.

·
VRC Hound
4,275 Posts
Sixty Fiver said:
There are less than 50 Moulden frames in existance and perhaps I might be fortunate enough one day to own one of these beauties.
I'd guess there are more than 50 in existence. I would say Jim built 3 or 400 frames, including a lot of road bikes that were less likely to suffer breakage from use. I personally know of 10 or so Mouldens floating around. That said, I've not seen a tig'ged Moulden before today.

Here is a pic of a frame my buddy and I designed for Jim to build. Dig the tiny fillets.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Not to long ago I was in Hardcore and saw the only trials frame he ever made. I kinda regret not buying it and building it up. It was made of 853 if I remeber correctly and was still cheaper then the norco moment. Every once in a while I see his cross bikes around town. Wish I was in the market for a custom frame before we stopped building.

·
ravingbikefiend
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jim's efforts have inspired me to take up the torch even I hear that he'd probably try and talk me out of it.

1More - You should check out the "Riding in Edmonton" threads if you're a local... we have a good group of MTBR's that gather together regularly for all kinds of riding.

·
VRC Hound
4,275 Posts
1MoreTime said:
Not to long ago I was in Hardcore and saw the only trials frame he ever made. I kinda regret not buying it and building it up. It was made of 853 if I remeber correctly and was still cheaper then the norco moment. Every once in a while I see his cross bikes around town. Wish I was in the market for a custom frame before we stopped building.
I wish I had the frames he built for me. My first Moulden was an early Mutant that I bought from Rich at Cycle Logic. It was real old school with seat stay mounted roller cams, radical sloping top tube etc. and came with a rocking rasta fade. My next Moulden was the partner of the one that I posted. The only difference was that mine wishbone seatstays. My road bike was a 753 Moulden that was awesome. My final Moulden was a custom filed fillets. It had a crazy one piece bar stem that Jim made for me that weighed 180 grams.

Jim made a mountain trials style bike with front and back roller cams from Prestige, so if you saw one made from 853 he made at least two :)

·
ravingbikefiend
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bushpig - Edmonton is home for me and where I'm working towards equipping my shop so that I can build bikes.

Besides framne-building I am also looking to fabricate a good number of my own custom parts.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
There is a lot more than 50 Mouldens in existence, I used to work at High Country back in the eighties and we sold at least that when he was apprenticing with Proctor Townsend frames. Jim was pretty good at the main frames but he tended to get a little uh... shall we say 'creative' with cable guide placements, the angles of the brake posts etc. Garry T had to do more than a few 'corrections' on the frames HC sold after Jim left and wouldn't work on his frames sold at HC. Jim definitely matured (and mellowed) later and his frames improved as well, really hitting their peak in the last few years before he quit the frame business.

·
VRC Hound
4,275 Posts
MartinS said:
There is a lot more than 50 Mouldens in existence, I used to work at High Country back in the eighties and we sold at least that when he was apprenticing with Proctor Townsend frames. Jim was pretty good at the main frames but he tended to get a little uh... shall we say 'creative' with cable guide placements, the angles of the brake posts etc. Garry T had to do more than a few 'corrections' on the frames HC sold after Jim left and wouldn't work on his frames sold at HC. Jim definitely matured (and mellowed) later and his frames improved as well, really hitting their peak in the last few years before he quit the frame business.
High Country was a great shop. I used to have a Procter road bike and it was great. I heard that the owner of High Country was buddies with Arvon and hooked him up with a Euclid group or two.

I would believe that there are only 50 Arvons around. Anyone have one, or even pictures of one? I'd love to get my hands on an Arvon or at lest some Arvon hubs!

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I have an old MTNbike Zine from the west coast, they had a set of Arvon hubs that had bee sent by Arvon for them to review. The problem was that he had mis-drilled several eyelets so they had to use different lengths of spokes on the same hub flange to make them work, heh, I'd forgotten about those...
We had a few Euclid Gruppos in, I got the test one out on my old fisher procaliber, it added about 2 lbs to the bike and worked kinda slow compared to Shimano. The hubs were the best part, they were beautiful. The U-brake was horrible, although at the time I was used to an IRD U-brake that I presently have mounted up in a picture frame.
Arvon may have bought a gruppo, I can't remember for sure, but I know we built up a Proctor Townsend and a Moulden with them, they took forever to sell though- the Gruppo was soooo ugly and got pretty bad reviews.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Moulden Hardtail

I have a Moulden hardtail. It was built completely out of 853, including seat
and chain stays. The stays were difficult for him to find. He had to buy them
from Chris DeKerf.

I'd be willing to part with it if someone was interested in it. I've beaten on it
pretty hard, and the frame is scratched with a few very minor dents.

That said, if someone is itching for a bike like this, let me know.

I'm 5'11". The bike is about 18.3", with a 23.3" top tube, head angle
of 71.5, seat tube angle of 73.5.

This is a nice riding bike, but I didn't think it was that great. I ride mostly
freeride now, and don't get on my hardtail as much as I should.

Dave

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
I'm picking up a Moulden hardtail frame tomorrow..pics to follow..I've been after the guy to sell it for month's and he finally called today. I've got to look at it again but I know it was fillet brazed and my size :)

·
ravingbikefiend
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
bushpig said:
High Country was a great shop. I used to have a Procter road bike and it was great. I heard that the owner of High Country was buddies with Arvon and hooked him up with a Euclid group or two.

I would believe that there are only 50 Arvons around. Anyone have one, or even pictures of one? I'd love to get my hands on an Arvon or at lest some Arvon hubs!
zombie thread but this is for Bushpig... I have been a busy camper since I posted this and have acquired a really nice Moulden too.

Arvon Cycles

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.