Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was such a cool bike, whatever happened to it?

I never got the chance to ride one, in fact, I never knew about them until looking at the Bass for 2010. I thought a concentric BB pivot made so much sense, and went searching around for other bikes like that and found the A. I'm an XC nerd, so I was excited when I found it. An XC SS susser or 1x9 would be so fun. Does anyone know if Kona are ever planning on making the A or something similar again?

How about an A Supreme, with SS and/or 1x9/10 capability and 100mm travel Scandium frame?

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I looked at the Bass the other day thinking how cool it would be to take one of those frames and set it up all XC a la the A. The frame numbers aren't so different from one of their XC frames.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
GrantB said:
I looked at the Bass the other day thinking how cool it would be to take one of those frames and set it up all XC a la the A. The frame numbers aren't so different from one of their XC frames.
Haha, I did the same thing! The sizing is pretty limited though...

Kona, if you are reading this, please: think of the cool factor! It would be sweet!

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I'd love a bike like that with bolt on dropouts so, yeah, it could either go SS or 1x9.

So does the pivot concentric with the BB really do the trick?

·
Registered
263 Posts
scored one...

I'm lucky enough to own a brand new A frame. I haven't built it up yet but this spring it will get some of my old parts thrown on. That bike was too far ahead of its time to do well.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Enjoying my A Frame build

Pas de Dopage said:
Thanks for posting some of your bikes rocky and ole. Anyone else have any sweet Kona A's they want to share?

I built up my A frame this Summer and have had many great rides on it here in the SW. My front end is a Fox X 100 (26'er) fork with a 650 B wheel/tire combo, currently a Velocity Blunt with a Kenda Nevegal tire...plenty of clearance. The bigger front wheel rolls over the techy stuff much better than a standard 26" wheel although it does'nt climb quite as well and is a bit heavier,,,,,,still worth the tradeoff IMO.Out back I have a standard 26" wheel/tire combo but a 650 B does fit just fine, plenty of adjustment with the sliding dropouts. So far this setup has been tested on the trails of Flagstaff, Sedona, PHX, Cortez/Dolores and at the SSWC in Durango. The bike is a bit heavy but that will change soon, currently it's at 25.5 but I think I can drop it down to about 24 lbs. Keep looking for a frameset, they are hard to find but worth the effort IMO:thumbsup: I have posted fotos of my bike in the SS forum and also on the Kona forum, search for them,,,,,,,,,,i think 650B was mentioned in the Title

1 - 11 of 11 Posts