Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Some 1993 Koga Miyata bikes

RidgeRunnerSuspension
First FS for Koga. Showa fork and Yamaha shock. Carbon front and for ´93 a Hardlite (steel) rear. XTR and many Syncros parts. Detail pic of shock and link:

SkyRunnerCarbolite
Most expensive rig in the 1993 Koga lineup. Carbolite front and rear triangle. XTR and a lot Syncros.

My modified SRC:

TrailRunnerCarbolite
Carbolite front, alloy rear. Mixture of XT and DX components. Also many Syncros parts.

My modified TRC:

TerraRunnerAlloy
Alloy front and rear triangle.

Also in ´93:

TiRunner
Titanium tubes bonded by alloy lugs.

ValleyRunner
Alloy front, Hardlite rear.

ForeRunner
Lugged triple butted Hardlite frame.

·
Bicyclist
2,849 Posts
Nice stuff! You posted a few things I've never seen before like the full suspension model, thanks. Here's one of my Koga-Miyatas. It's a Fore Runner of uncertain year though I'd guess mid-nineties. Very similar to your bike and Fillet Brazed's bike except for the lack of a u-brake: lugged steel frame with the triple butted tubing and splined tube joining.

As far as the difference between Koga-Miyata and Miyata, I believe Koga was a Dutch gentleman that started a Dutch company to build and market Miyatas. Beyond that, I don't know much. Maybe someone else does.

Attachments

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Koga Miyata story

TL1,

-Go to the Greg Herbold thread ( http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=8740&highlight=greg+herbold ) for more pictures of that FS. Greg Herbold was Miyata teamrider back then.

-The bike you posted is definately not mid nineties. I guess it is ´91 or ´92.

The Koga Miyata story
Here is what I know: Koga Miyata was founded in 1974. About the Koga brandname I heard different stories. Most likely is the one that tells that Koga is a substraction of Kooistra (I am not 100% sure on the name) and Gaastra. These people should be the founders of Koga Miyata. From Gaastra I know he is the son of the guy who founded Batavus and the son of the Koga Gaastra is now involved in idworx. A true bikefamilly.

Koga was founded because they thought would be room for a really upscale bikemanafacturer in Holland. They contacted Mr Miyata cause they tought he would be able to supply with great frames at a good price. So Koga Miyata was born.

Initially Koga grew big with racebikes and touringbikes. In about ´83, ´84 they were one of the first to start with mountainbikes on the Dutch market. Late eighties Koga was a respectable player with there mountainbikes on the Dutch market, but for some reason that faded. Probably cause of (cheaper) US imports and the fact that Koga´s were considered being quite heavy. They were also considered quite undestructable, but weight was simply the issue in those pre suspension days.

I think Koga continued using Miyata frames built untill ´96. Of today's frames most are made by Hodaka. Unfortunately I am not 100% sure on these facts. Personally I consider the year Koga celebrated their 25th anniversary (1999) as a dark year :p in Koga history. The bikes they produced then had nothing to do with their ancestors. The quality appeal was lacking, they made weird component choices and some of their frames looked very screamy but featured designs that really doesn´t make sense. The opposite of ´form follows function´. Todays Koga´s are really excellent bikes :) . They are light and feature great components, but unfortunately they aren´t as unique as the eighties/early nineties design were.

Koga Miyata is still much bigger in racebikes, hybrids, touringbikes, randoneurbikes and upscale typical Dutch bikes. About their image overhere: If people think at Koga people probably think of sheer luxery and quality. Probably this is cause they look quite sophisticated, are well finished and normally come fully loaded. Unlike other brands you almost never miss something on them. Their appeal on mountainbikers is increasing again I think, but it is likely others segments will still be providing the corebusiness for Koga in future.

Koga is part of the Accell group. Last year Accell was the biggest bicycle manafacturer in Europe. The company is listed in Amsterdam and is presenting really nice figures year after year for some years now.

I think I covered quite a lot now. Are there people in the US who could me something on Miyata? Pictures are also very welcome!

·
Bicyclist
2,849 Posts
I ran across this page that mentions that Miyata built the first domestic bicycles in the Japanese market, in 1890.

The first bicycle race in Japan was held in Tokyo in 1897, according to a certain book. However, before explaining about the first bicycle race in Japan, I would like to explain about the bicycles used at that time. The forerunner of the Miyata Bicycle Company, the Miyata Gun-smith Factory, manufactured bicycles for the first time in Japan in 1890. Besides manufacturing hunting rifles, they manufactured the first domestic bicycle.

Except for the choppered out frame angles it doesn't look that different from a modern singlespeed. That's really vintage and retro.!

http://www.jbpi.or.jp/english/topics/enews13.html

Attachments

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
funny stats

More funny facts can be found on that Japanese site. For example: There is one bicycle on every 2,6 US citizens, one on every 2,7 people in the UK, one on 1,3 German and one on every single Dutchman. Last figure could be the result of guys like me. :D I quote for 1 bike on 0.0909091 Melvin ;)

The Indians aren´t probably very involved in cycling, cause 24,4 of them have to share one.

Speaking about Japanese sites; I found those pictures on a Forum for Koi fishes:

I know it is an Elevation8,000. It looks very similar to Europe´s ´93 Koga TiRunner, except for the fork(and the paintscheme of course). In Europe it came with the glued Alfrex fork. 1993 was the only year for the TiRunner. In ´95 there was a small titanium revival when Koga bolted and glued a ti tail to a Carbolite front triangle. They named it SkyCarbolite. On the picture bellow I can be seen riding my ´95 SkyCarbolite downhill back then.

Watch the Renthal motorcross bar! In those days bicycle riserbars weren´t very common and the Renthals proved to be reliable. Furthermore: A Rond HydroPro2 fork.

Melvin

·
Registered
118 Posts
I bought this frame on Ebay...........

and I don't know anything else about it (year, model, etc). The frame had never been built and is bonded aluminum, fork is also bonded. I didn't want to cover the cool paint job so I never put the stickers on. It's perfect for those rainy days when I don't want to mess up my Kestrel.

bill

Attachments

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
bill said:
and I don't know anything else about it (year, model, etc). The frame had never been built and is bonded aluminum, fork is also bonded. I didn't want to cover the cool paint job so I never put the stickers on. It's perfect for those rainy days when I don't want to mess up my Kestrel.

bill
Bill,

It seems that your frame is similar to the pink/polished TerraRunner in my second post, except for fork, paintscheme and size/geometry. That TerraRunner is a ´93, but I wouldn´t be suprised if your bike is a ´92. This because of the early nineties paintscheme and the geometry that looks more from a ´92. I am not sure on that cause it´s quite difficult to see it on the picture.

I bought the same frame from a guy in Salt Lake City named Eencore. He sold many of them(old Miyata inventory). Never received mine and seller didn´t respond. Finally I asked AE to refund my money. There are people over here (Holland) that have the same experience. Later he changed to the only shipping to US/Canada mode, so I am not convinced he is a cheater. Maybe USPostal did a bad job and the seller is only a bad communicator. :mad:

Enjoy your frame and it is likely that you will do that for many years cause it is a sturdy one. :)

Melvin

·
Bicyclist
2,849 Posts
Nice!

bill said:

bill
Hey bill, I have one of those also! I don't know much about mine either other than the general time period it was made and what Elevation 12,000 has told us. It was called an Alfrex by the seller. It was also obtained on ebay like yours (nearly for a song). I've had mine for somewhere around 1.5 to 2 years and it's been a really great, enjoyable bike to ride. These frames have a reputation for being sturdy. I'm over 250 lbs. currently, with riding gear, and I've been riding mine very hard at my local rocky trails and it's holding up just fine so far. I really enjoy seeing what you've done with your with the drop bars and all. It looks like it would be real fun to ride! Here's mine, the blue Schwalbe Hurricane tires are currently replaced by some black Schwalbe Racing Ralphs.

·
Bicyclist
2,849 Posts
Yeah they just started importing them into the US a year or so ago. As Elevation 12,000 has pointed out though, they're mostly Taiwanese and Chinese made Hodakas somewhat lacking the innovation and flair of the old Miyatas and Koga-Miyatas. You see these same frames on ebay sold as LaPierres and other brands. Nice high quality bikes still though and pretty high-priced.

http://www.kogausa.com/

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,939 Posts
well its a miyata...

and was imported to canada same time as the Elevation 10,000 was in the model line...

One of these days, I'll find a buyer for it and get the damn thing outta the storage space. My mother hasn't used it in years. Not since she discovered the value of gears, brakes that stop the bike, and bikes under 45 pounds.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
DeeEight said:
One of these days, I'll find a buyer for it and get the damn thing outta the storage space. My mother hasn't used it in years. Not since she discovered the value of gears, brakes that stop the bike, and bikes under 45 pounds.
Well, the conclusion I can draw from this is that unlike Europe´s Koga Miyata Miyata USA didn´t stick to high end models only. How was the Miyata image in the US?

Melvin

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
´92 MBA test Miyata Elevation 7,000

The August 1992 issue of MBA featured a test of the Miyata Elevation 7,000. I´ve laid it under my scanner and here it is !:

Six Off-Road workhorses were tested in that issue. Among the other five bikes tested there were some very fine rigid bikes; the Breezer Thunder and the Rocky Mountain Blizzard Enduro. Also featured: Kona, Mongoose and Wheeler.

Melvin

1 - 20 of 139 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.