Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I'm a full on geek. But in my defense, I ride my Knollies to work every day, and have no need to get to the shop drenched.

If there are others of you out there, who want to hook up some fenders, and others who have other clever fender tricks, then this thread is for you:thumbsup:

Here is the fender hook up I've been rockin on my Endorphin. It's even snow proof! Now, with the front fender, don't tell Marzocchi, but I tapped the steerer tube with a 9/16 tap, and hold my fender on with a 'modified' pedal axle. On this bike, it's a cheap pedal axle, but on my Delerium, it's a titanium axle:cool: .

More pix to come, and if you feel so inclined, your contributions to this thread will be much appreciated.

·
Registered
150 Posts
when I first started reading this, I just thought ... :madman:

But after seeing the pics, what you done there actually looks pretty trick! :thumbsup:

Got any pics of the entire bike setup like that?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll get some more pics up soon, but to answer the question, the fender is a composite of a mid nineties Synchros fender, (alloy stays and black fender) and an SKS seatpost mount fender, (faux carbone). There is very little clearance between my 2.5" tyre and the seatstay bridge, plus the 4x4 linkage disallows zip tying over or around the seatstay bridge. That's why I had to use that super wide seatpost mounted fender- so I could secure it to the seatstays.
I put clear vinyl on all the contact points in order to preserve paint and keep stuff from slipping.

The coolest and easiest part of it all was zip tying that little black flap under the walking beam of the linkage assembly. It provides a surprising amount of coverage for its weight and size.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The long awaited fender photos for the Delerium.
Yes, I know, fenders are neither cool, good looking, nor will they attract members of the opposite sex. But they are functional if you ride around in rainforests, or in England;) .
Again, I tapped the steerer with a 9/16" pedal tap, and on this bike used a titanium pedal axle to hold everything together. So far, so good.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Nice and well thought out. How can you go wrong with the combination of titanium and zip ties. :thumbsup:

I am married with kids so I guess I don't have to worry about attracting members of the opposite sex...might have to make a fender.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Lorien, I like what you have done. It looks rugged. But its time for a change. You need to manufacture your own mudguards. You can use a single piece of Carbon fiber and "mould" it to the rear end. That way the aluminum struts you have, can be replaced by sexy Carbon Fiber (all same piece and cut out, or wrapped into the layer during manufacture). The zip ties, can be hidden by the wrapped Carbon Fiber. Yes, you can do it Lorien. You CAN get your bling back!

Simple how-to:
http://volvospeed.com/Mods/carbon_fiber_sheets.html

You can handlay this for cheap:
http://www.dragonplate.com/ecart/categories.asp?cID=76

Example raw supplies:
http://www.fibreglast.com/showproducts-category-Carbon+Fiber+%28Graphite%29+Fabrics+%26+Tapes-15.html#19

Don't make me whip up the first custom carbon fender for a Knolly!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.