Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter's needing new tires on here 20" Hotrock. Searched this forum, and found a couple old threads, but figured maybe we could consolidate everyones thoughts into this one thread.
I have some Smart Sams on my other daughters 24" Trek, and they were light, grippy, and look awesome! (Important to most kids, and some parents)
I've just about pulled the trigger on some Vee Tire Crown Jems for this little 20" bike. More rubber, more cushion, and more knobbies.
We do mostyl XC, with some flowy downhill, and some knarly roots and rocks in places.
Also considering a set of Michelin Mambos... They look pretty similar.

What tires have you and your kids tried, and like?
This her pride and joy...
It's been upgrades with Sinz cranks and chainring, carbon bar, custom stem, and the Uni seat and post. She hasn't let me yank the kickstand...
She regularly rides 6-8 miles with me, though and that includes some decent elevation change.
She also likes the "bouncy forks" and the fact that they're pink...
Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel

·
Administrator
12,429 Posts
on our 20" bikes we used these: https://www.maxxis.com/uk/tyre/maxxdaddy/

At suitable pressures for the kids (12-14psi) they were cushy and provided a lot of grip. We had swapped out the kenda small block 8's that came on the bikes, which at that size were essentially hybrid tires.

for our 24" bikes now they are on the crown jems and they seem really compliant and have traction in wet, dry, and loose fairly consistently.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just hit the Buy it now on a set of the Crown Jems... Was hoping to find something on Amazon that could be here in the next couple days, but struck out... I'm pretty stoked, and she'll be excited... We'll have to ride a few more rides on these worn tires, though as those won't be here till after fall break.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Another vote for the Maxxis Maxx Daddy. Cheap (or at least they were pre-COVID), tons of grip, very reasonable weight, and seem to last forever. Too wide for the rear on an Islabike Beinn 20 Small, but has fit on our other 20" bikes.

The only 24" tire my kids have used so far are Schwalbe Rocket Ron. Good enough grip for XC in Norcal and unbeatable weight. Biggest downside is that they are pricey and wear relatively quickly.

·
no dabs
567 Posts
We are running Crown Gem 24x2.6 wire bead 27 tpi skinwalls, bought new, but clearly takeoffs from commencal. These are totally acceptable and beat the heck out of typical kids bike tires, but I'm still looking for something better.

My review: Can run low enough tire pressure to get a lot of suspension, but not super low in the front or they start to self steer. No idea how bad it is, but a kid that learned to ride less than a year ago wobbles at low speed if the pressure is too low up front (below maybe 8 psi?). These seem to have decently low rolling resistance (at least better than the previous 24x2.4 flow snaps) especially considering the low pressure we run. Awesome suspension effect, far better than the 2.4 flow snaps in this regard, which has me looking for an even bigger volume tire that will still fit her frame. Less noise rolling on pavement than expected, near silent on hardpack. She has not found the grip limits to these tires yet except on wet leaves under braking. Pretty good mud self cleaning for such a busy tread pattern.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Bought Schwalbe Little Joe's (20x2) for the 20" bike 3 or so years ago. Could use a new rear tire but it's worked well to turn a city/street bike into a mountain bike. Cost me <$20 at the time, I believe they are much more now.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I picked up some 24 rocket Ron’s due to their light weight. 983 grams for the pair. They are the evo liteskin Addix speed version. When I went to their site, it seemed they were all TL. I really hope they go on the hookless rims they are destined for and set up tubeless without issue.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.