Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my Niner Jet9 this weekend and am getting itchy to ride it.......to bad we just got dumped on with about 18" more snow. This is my first 29er, actually first new mtn bike in 6 years. I am coming from a Santa Cruz Superlight which I loved and have a lot of expectations for this new bike. I will have to mess with stems more than likely to get the fit just right as I like drop from the saddle to bars and right now they are almost even.

Specs are:
Niner Jet9 - size small in kermit green
Full X.9 2x10
Avid Elixer CR brakes
Stans Crest with ZTR hubs
Kenda Slant Six tires (these looking very promising)
Niner aluminum bars, cut to 670mm (710 was just huge)
Reba RLT Ti 9mm
Thomson post and stem (90mm length)
Current saddle is my San Marco ERA, but I have a white and black San Marco Ponza on the way.
Pedals are my old, but heavy, Time ATAC aluminum.
WTB trail gips, may go back to wrapping with road tape as that is what I have done for the past 5+ years.

Sorry about the poor cell phone photo.

Attachments

·
Banned
7,930 Posts
Looks a little small, compared to mine. What does it weigh, complete? If it's around 27 pounds you did great, 28, pretty good, 29... probably average medium expense build.

·
Carbon & Ti rule
5,410 Posts
Other than the fork I like it,You will have lots of fun on it though.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RandyBoy said:
Looks a little small, compared to mine. What does it weigh, complete? If it's around 27 pounds you did great, 28, pretty good, 29... probably average medium expense build.
No clue what it weights. I will say that the wheels are lighter than any 26" wheels I have eveer raced with. My Superlight has Sun DS 2 w/ XT hubs. I am not sure if I will be faster on this bike, but I do not expect it to make me slower.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
:skep: Really :skep: You're really expecting a lot compared to a 6 year old SuperFLex? :eek:ut: Seriously, anything these days will be a huge improvement for you, prepare to be blown away :D Oh and welcome to the world of non noodle bikes.
offrhodes42 said:
I picked up my Niner Jet9 this weekend and am getting itchy to ride it.......to bad we just got dumped on with about 18" more snow. This is my first 29er, actually first new mtn bike in 6 years. I am coming from a Santa Cruz Superlight which I loved and have a lot of expectations for this new bike. I will have to mess with stems more than likely to get the fit just right as I like drop from the saddle to bars and right now they are almost even..

·
Registered
527 Posts
offrhodes42 said:
I picked up my Niner Jet9 this weekend and am getting itchy to ride it.......to bad we just got dumped on with about 18" more snow. This is my first 29er, actually first new mtn bike in 6 years. I am coming from a Santa Cruz Superlight which I loved and have a lot of expectations for this new bike. I will have to mess with stems more than likely to get the fit just right as I like drop from the saddle to bars and right now they are almost even.

Specs are:
Niner Jet9 - size small in kermit green
Full X.9 2x10
Avid Elixer CR brakes
Stans Crest with ZTR hubs
Kenda Slant Six tires (these looking very promising)
Niner aluminum bars, cut to 670mm (710 was just huge)
Reba RLT Ti 9mm
Thomson post and stem (90mm length)
Current saddle is my San Marco ERA, but I have a white and black San Marco Ponza on the way.
Pedals are my old, but heavy, Time ATAC aluminum.
WTB trail gips, may go back to wrapping with road tape as that is what I have done for the past 5+ years.
Just curious what size you are that you went with a small frame? I've got a Jet on the way and I'm right in between small & medium according to their charts (5'9"). I ended up going with medium after a test ride

Nice lookin' bike, enjoy!.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
kfb66 said:
Just curious what size you are that you went with a small frame? I've got a Jet on the way and I'm right in between small & medium according to their charts (5'9"). I ended up going with medium after a test ride

Nice lookin' bike, enjoy!.
I am 5'4" so I am on the opposite end of the small fit spectrum. I do have long legs for a man of my height at right about 30". I run my saddle at 66.5cm center of BB to the top middle of the saddle. I was concerned about the long TT, but now that it is together it fits great reach wise, just may end up getting a stem with some negative rise to drop the bars about an inch below the bars.

·
Trail Junkie
2,210 Posts
It looks like your cat is rubbing it for good luck :p So good luck with the bike! I just built up a kermit green Jet 9 for a friend! He really likes the bike a lot!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts