Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 6'2" tall and 220 lb w/gear.
I ride mostly short/mid rides around 20-30 km long.
I don't jump. I love fast techi single-track. a lot of rocks, loose grond.
climbing is important since I climb most of the time (not most of the way... ).

I currently ride the old Pyre (the first addition) and love it. just need to go forward after 3.5 years.

the set-up will be Fox 36 TALAS in the front, Mavic Crossmax XL's hoops w/2.3-2.4 tires.
light components, 2X9 gears, adjustable seatpost (KS).

the dilema is because the Spitfire is lighter, sohrter travel and very steep HA.
the rune is a bit heavier, longer travel and moderate HA.

the rune will be stronger to take my weight and HA will be good for my riding style, the travel will get me more confidence in the rocky and loos.
on the other hand, the SF is lighter, burly enough for my riding style ....

so ... the questions is basicaly go light on the Rune or go heavy on the SF ?

I have to say it's a good dilema and I have some time before I go for it but I'll love to hear from you guys what do you think.

BTW, what are the color options for the 2010 Rune and Spitfire ?

thx guys.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Hmmm, since you are a big guy, and like to ride rough rocky terrain I think the rune would be a better match for you probably with the higher BB and burlier frame. If you want to make it feel a bit more like spitfire geometry, you could always instal angle reducer cups on the head angle to slacken it out more. Just my 2 cents

The spitfire will come in team polish/blue, grey ano, and white powdercoat
The rune will come in team polish/black, black ano, and white powdercoat

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
TM1 said:
the dilema is because the Spitfire is lighter, sohrter travel and very steep HA.
the rune is a bit heavier, longer travel and moderate HA.
I think you meant very slack head angle on the spitfire....

Anyways I feel your pain on this dilemna :D
I sure went back&forth for months, in the end the rune is a no-brainer for me since it will see some DH/FR use.. I would LOVE to hear ride impressions comparing the Spitfire and Rune with K9 cups, back-to-back, with identical builds. I think geometry would be pretty close between the Rune w/K9 and the spitty in low/slack mode (the taller BB height of the rune being somewhat offset by extra travel & sag)

·
a tight kick sound
1,802 Posts
I'm with FM on this! A Rune vs spitfire comparo would be nice info to have.

In reality I think it all comes down to the fact that the Rune is gonna be able to dish out a whole lot more, time and time again than the spity will. Will the spity handle it...its a Banshee so it probably will. Will you be pushing the limits of what Keith intended...you bet your bottom!

I think the easy answer is, if you are hammering XC trails with small, smooth jumps go with the spity. If you are occasionally going to go bigger, hit a bunch of rock gardens and just generally abuse your bike a bit more, then the Rune is gonna be the way to go!

·
Calm like a bomb
3,537 Posts
TM1 - At your weight, I'd lean towards the Rune. An XL with an Evolver ISX6 it comes in @ 7.9 lbs (see Rune Vanity thread for photo-evidence). You could run an RP23 or X-Fusion O2 and drop nearly 1/2 lb. At your size, a 7.5 lb frame/shock is not going to be any kind of a hindrance yet you won't have to worry about frame strength.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks guys.
all of you are telling me to go Rune ...
I guess it's my weight and the terrain I ride, plus the fact that my rieds are not so long to make the frame weight make a big difference.
actually, that what I was thinking.
the only thing about the Rune that I would change is the ST angle. from 71 to 73+-.
but I think moving the saddle a bit forward will make pedaling OK.

Err - why do you think I need XL frame ? I was thinking a L will fit me.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I'm going to suggest the Spitfire myself, I used to ride a longer travel bike (Nomad) for the type of riding you describe and bought my Pyre Mk 2 as a second bike. I soon found that the Nomad was gathering dust as I discovered how fun the shorter travel, more nimble bike was - BTW I'm over 200lbs myself and do hit (moderate) jumps with the Pyre and it has not complained. If the Spitfire is in the same league strength and stiffness wise as the Pyre (which I believe it is) it will handle what you describe with ease, climb a little better than the Rune, and be a bit quicker in the single track.
The only caveat I might have is the rocky terrain where the higher BB and longer travel of the Rune will win out over the Spitfire - I guess it depends if you are talking baby heads or loose gravel like conditions.
I have ridden the Rune extensively and have had a chance to ride a Spitfire Proto as well, it is a tough decision but they are both mighty sweet rides.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
as I said, a dilemma !
all the comments are logical and make sense.
I switch between the two every day ... I hope time will sort things out.
maybe after I'll read some more riding impresion on the SF I can make the decision.

Keith, 2 questions:
1. can you plot the suspention curves of the Rune vs. SF ? it will help me alot.
2. will a HV air can Fox float fit the Rune ? and what about an Evolver ISX6 on the SF ?

THX

·
Registered
322 Posts
.....here another thought for you.
Just think if you are going to extend your rides in a more aggressive mode or if you sometimes intend to dare gnarlier tracks.
I think that between SF and RUNE there is more difference in the way down than in the way up.
...in a few words, RUNE is a killing ONE DO IT ALL bike.
sweet dreams
Ciao

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
I'm just about to go out, so don't have time to plot graphs I'm afraid... but the rune is more progressive overall than the spitfire in slack, the spitfire is similar to the rune in the steep setting tho.

yeah the XV float should work OK on the rune, but personally I would chose a shock that has more bottom out adjustment, as the weight saving isn't all that significant really.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.