8,750 Posts
Anglesets flatten out your front end by extending your front end forwards:
  • reach is shortened
  • wheel base is increased
  • STA is increased
  • HTA is decreased
  • bb height is reduced
  • change depends on the degree of angle and cup design

There is a penalty with an angleset, due to the lower cup design, your stack increases significantly, which isn’t always desirable.

Offset bushings reduce ride height on the rear suspension, lowering your rear end:
- reduced tire clearance
-reduced STA
  • reduced HTA
  • reduced bb height
  • shortens reach

The changes are pretty subtle with the offset bushings, but it is noticeable. Think of the offset bushings as dropping you rear end 5-10mm without changing suspension feel. It’s a cheap and easy tweak. Another example of this change is using a flip chip.

If GG could integrate an angleset into their geoadjust headset, without increasing stack height, that would be a real coup.

It’d also be pretty neat if they built a flip chip into the seat stays and/or added something at the rear axle; rear axle could be flip chip to change height and length.

That makes sense. Anglesets will :
  • drop the BB 3mm
  • slacken the HA,
  • steepen the SA.

But for offset, I still don't quite know what they change:
  • slacken the HA?
  • slacken the SA
  • drop the BB?

Lemme know if I understand this correctly.

·
always licking the glass
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Offset bushings reduce ride height on the rear suspension, lowering your rear end:
- reduced tire clearance
-reduced STA
  • reduced HTA
  • reduced bb height
  • shortens reach
I'm not sure what you mean by "reduced HTA." Is that slacker or steeper? I'm looking for slacker.

Got the suspension back. 160mm fork, 230x60 rear shock (142/152, but optimized for trail), and the Hope M2 brakes finally have a new rear cable so I can run them. Tires are currently Assagai and Forekaster, eventually, Magic Mary and Nobby Nic. Hopefully in the next couple days, I can get the bike back.

It has a shorter reach from shortening the stays, so I might have to see if I can find a 40mm stem to open it up a bit.

·
Premium Member
8,750 Posts
Yes, reduced head tube angle is slacker,

·
always licking the glass
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
“Ice bear is ready to rock. And roll.”

Feels MUCH better with the suspension changes. Guys at the LBS: “I like this better than your tiger bike. Much more playful.”

The tiger bike is in full gravity mode right now, and mainly used for park riding. I’m looking forward to getting Ice Bear on the trails.

Difference between Ice Bear and Tigger:
Ice Bear: 160mm 29er fork, 230x60 rear shock, air suspension. 160 front, 142/152 rear.
Tigger: 170mm 27.5 fork, 230x55 rear shock, all coil. 170mm front, 155/165 rear.

Need to find an bike geo calc and run all the changes through.

Ride reports soon.

·
always licking the glass
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Use 100mm for the head tube length, and add 14mm to your 27.5mm fork's Axle to Crown measurement (for the tall cup). Rest should be self explanatory.
Thanks! Although, I'm not sure how self explanatory it is. What's the difference between the pink and the green?

·
Registered
858 Posts
Thanks! Although, I'm not sure how self explanatory it is. What's the difference between the pink and the green?
Green is the "stock" or baseline configuration, with the exception of the angleset (if you change that from 0, it changes the Pink). Pink is after adjustments (i.e. after changes to angleset and/or pink fork A/C length).

If you're using a typical A/C length 170mm 27.5 with the tall cup on Tigger (~559mm+14mm=~573mm) and a typical A/C 160mm 29er (~571mm) with a 27.5 front wheel on IB, the geo for IB should be essentially identical to the stock GG geometry. Since you're running Tigger in Gravity and IB in Trail, you're looking at:
64.5 vs. 65.0 HT
76.7 vs. 77.2 ST
453 vs. 457 reach (assuming long headset setting)
335 vs 343 BB
1218 vs 1213 wheelbase

·
Premium Member
8,750 Posts
In keeping with your theme, shouldn't this bike be called Ice Cat or Snow Leopard?

·
always licking the glass
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #50 (Edited)
In keeping with your theme, shouldn't this bike be called Ice Cat or Snow Leopard?
Nope. Tigers are my thing, other cats not so much.

Why Ice Bear? “Ice Bear is the best bear.”

I’ve always liked polar bears and Ice Bear is my favorite character from We Bare Bears (cartoon network has 4 seasons of it) who can hack anything to make it work, including making a roomba into his personal hover craft.

Seems appropriate for a bike that I’m hacking and bike-nerding on to get it to feel the way I want. :)

·
Premium Member
8,750 Posts
I wondered what the white patch was on your bike ;)

·
always licking the glass
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
First ride on the bike: trail mode (142mm rear, 160mm front). Trail ride at South Table Mountain, and man, was it cold. Full face to keep my head warm, neck gaitor, long pants, all the things. South Table isn't steep, but it's rocky and has some fun little tech sections and some faster sections.

When I first started riding the bike, it felt like a mullet, and I was questioning if it made sense to do this.

Ended up taking down the air fork a bit (62ish PSI in the main chamber, 70mm in the ramp) to make it feel decent, and upped the rear shock 10 psi (to around 165 psi). Once that felt more balanced, it was a nice playful little bicycle, compared to Tigger. Finally was able to pop off some rocks. It didn't feel like the big Tigger, but it definitely was playful. Definitely what I was trying to accomplish, and feeling much better. Now this feels like a good second bike to have.

The only thing is the 35mm stem feels a hair short, so I found a 40mm that I'm going throw on and see how it feels.

While Tigger bike is down (rear shock needs a retune on the compression since I keep bottoming out on the end stroke), I'll be also trying this in gravity mode. So it'll be good to see how it feels in both modes. Once I get the Tigger bike rear shock back, I'm throwing on studded tires on this bike and hope we get some good spring snows to take the bike out for the snow riding.

·
always licking the glass
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Winter finally got here. Studded tires go on the Ice Bear soon.

The switch to a 40mm stem was exactly what I needed. Still need to dial in the fork more, and if I get frustrated, it gets converted to a coil, but for now, this will do the job.

·
always licking the glass
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Ice Bear is now rocking 3.0 N45th studded Wrathchilds for the snow season here. Now it has to get warm enough to ride to where my lungs don't hurt (somewhere above 25 degrees).

41 - 55 of 55 Posts