Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems like more and more folks have bikes that go uphill well enough that pedaling IS an option. I see lots of discussion on DH technique but nothing on climbing with a big bike.
I'm interested because I think I have the best pedaling bike out there but know there's more to climbing than pedaling.
I would imagine some folks have setup changes they dial in for sustained climbs and I know I thought I would need to do that, but so far my bike as ignored its design roots and just acts like a normal AM bike.
I also recall seeing some old Boxxer setup info suggesting different sag amounts for different riding and IRC, they suggested low sag and firm settings compared to DH, so I wonder if anyone has tried that.
Other considerations I'd like to hear input on would be tire pressure/selection, gearing and using a drop seatpost.

Reactions: Moosey

·
Registered
197 Posts
I use a dropper post and 35&40 psi.I am also ordering some clip ins pedals and shoes for this purpose.The flats give me too many excuses to start pushing.-&34frt and 12-32?rear

·
Huckin' trails
6,056 Posts
I ride my FR bike uphill and I just do it because I don't have lift access... I just slow down the rebound to the max, lock the rear shock by the rebound adjust and sweat it all the way... Kinda get you fit. And you enjoy the descent even more :)

I have 2x8, 22-32 and 30-11. The bike is 150mm air fork and weight close to 38lbs...

Happy for you if you got a AM climb like DH bike ;)

And also I try to get the more speed possible at the beginning to keep the cadence up, so it's easier for the ride.

Seat up, sit down and work with the legs, not with the bar. And show off to the XC racers :D

David

·
Calm like a bomb
3,539 Posts
I can pedal up most anything with this rig, and no problem taking the aggro lines on the way down ->

Unfortunately (or fortunately), it has gone back to true DH status with a road cassette, boxxer WC, and all the trimmings. Still, managed to pedal up Galby just fine the other day, even with an ice cold Ninkasi Total Domination IPA in one hand. Oh the joy of a DH bike with a full length seat tube and an excellent pedaling position.

·
Pivotal figure
6,361 Posts
I ride my Phoenix uphill pretty often, even with a Fox 40 up front and fairly high gearing (36t ring, 11-28 cassette). I wouldn't really want to use it as an AM rig but I did run it with a TALAS 180 for a week or so and that made the uphills much more manageable. The dual crown is the biggest challenge for climbing since you need to ride a bit bowlegged to avoid hitting your knees.

·
Now with More Wood
2,964 Posts
One bike to rule them all

I only have one bike, and it needs to do everything. Morewood Zama, 7" mini-DH/FR bike with a straight seat tube and FD-compatibility. I run it with a Boxxer up front, have no trouble taking it out even on long AM/XC type rides. Most of my riding involves DH and FR to some degree, with no shuttling, so this is the perfect set-up for me. I find that I can keep up with most people on longer rides (it does make you fit), except for the XC whippets of course, but that's not my kind of riding anyway, so...

On the climbs, it is very well behaved, except for crazy steep tech climbing where the weight, soft suspension, and the tall front become too much to handle. 22/36 up front, 11-34 out back. Sit and spin mainly, be patient and you'll get there.

When (if) 9-36 10-speed cassettes go mainstream, I'll be tempted to move to a single 32T up front, that cassette should give me enough gear range to be able to ditch the FD.

Here she is. Love this bike:

Attachments

·
Registered
560 Posts
Every couple of weeks I ride my VP-Free that is set up for park/DH riding on one of my XC loops. The Free pedals amazingly, but I don't have the gearing set up to ride AM, and I don't want to switch it over so I just stand and mash. Its a hell of a good back and shoulder workout though, almost like riding a SS. I do notice that that all the little jumps and logs I can play around on with my XC bike just get totally sucked up by the 888 on my Free though, and I barely notice them, haha.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I see the same, I ride down one of our trails with some 18" rollers in it and the hardtail in front of me is getting 2' air off each while my 6" AM bike is glued to the ground at the same speed on the same jump/bumps

. I do notice that that all the little jumps and logs I can play around on with my XC bike just get totally sucked up by the 888 on my Free though, and I barely notice them, haha.

·
Happy shredding :)
87 Posts
Gotta love my XC buddies. I get so much crap for lagging behind on a downhill bike, yet they flonder the same climbs as me (just farther up the hill) and love to heckle me about having a downhill bike on these trails, even though they told me it'd be freeriding w/ fast corners :madman:

That being said, what goes up must come down and we got the name in our bikes to do it quicker, faster with more finesse :thumbsup:

Edit: I don't really ever mess with the suspension at all, mostly because I found a sweet spot for hauling ass and i really don't feel like tuning around to find it again. Tires I run 26/28 and love it, on or off the dirt.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
this is what prompted this thread

35 pounds as shown
Angleset with HA at 66 deg for trail use bike feels super when turning
I think this design is a true zero pedal bob design
I stand behind Canfields claim that this is the best of all worlds :thumbsup: its sure does everything I can think of so far.
Still have to take it to a bike park but I know its in its element there.

Attachments

·
Registered
224 Posts
Every couple of weeks I ride my VP-Free that is set up for park/DH riding on one of my XC loops. The Free pedals amazingly, but I don't have the gearing set up to ride AM, and I don't want to switch it over so I just stand and mash. Its a hell of a good back and shoulder workout though, almost like riding a SS. I do notice that that all the little jumps and logs I can play around on with my XC bike just get totally sucked up by the 888 on my Free though, and I barely notice them, haha.
I do the same thing with my Santa Cruz Bullit. Taking your downhill rig for a XC ride builds cheracter and legs.:thumbsup:

·
Huckin' trails
6,056 Posts
35 pounds as shown
Angleset with HA at 66 deg for trail use bike feels super when turning
I think this design is a true zero pedal bob design
I stand behind Canfields claim that this is the best of all worlds :thumbsup: its sure does everything I can think of so far.
Still have to take it to a bike park but I know its in its element there.
Is this a kickstand ?

:D

·
Registered
521 Posts
1 - 20 of 56 Posts