Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

· Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
19,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I typically buy frames and then build them up. It’s fun and I know the work is done right. Each component is hand selected to do exactly what I want it to do, fit me ergonomically, balance weight with strength to my priorities, etc.

After riding mountain bikes for over 35 years, I’ve got a well stuffed parts bin. I move components from one frame to the next whenever feasible. And/or draw from the parts bin whenever possible.

Drawing from the parts bin is often not feasible. 😢 Things keep changing.

I’m retired now but worked for REI for about 5 years (‘til COVID) so prodealed whenever I could.

I don’t keep track of how much I’ve got invested in my bikes. Doing so would detract from the fun of the sport for me personally. I understand that some people derive great joy from assembling a bike using as little investment as possible.

I’m not one of those people.

Personally I enjoy trying new or improved components. For example as droppers improved, I went from a 125mm dropper to 150mm to 185mm to 210mm.

Yeah, it’s a problem.

Wait, no it isn’t. I love it.

Anyway the price of my bikes keeps changing.

Who else doesn’t know or care how much their bike(s) cost?
=sParty

· Elitest thrill junkie
41,618 Posts
Yeah, that’s one thing I love about building my own bikes. When some random dude looking to say “it doesn’t even have a motor!” asks me “how much did that cost” I say “I have no idea, I built it and I didn’t keep track”.

· Nurse Ben
11,956 Posts
Same process for me, I haven’t bought a complete bike in years, everything gets reused, lots of mix and match, both my bikes are of moderate build, I don’t skimp on parts, but I also don’t splurge on bling.

Just got my first carbon hoops, Unions/Onyx ($1500) if they last longer than aluminum ones or at least don’t get dinged as easily it’ll be worth it.

I suspect my bikes would cost around 6-7k to replace each, less for the SS I’m building. The only time I’ve priced out a bike was when it got stolen, and I needed to file an insurance claim,

· Registered
1,432 Posts
I haven’t gotten to the point of having a overflowing parts bin yet. Only been ridding for a couple years. But I figure whatever the cost is it’s still cheaper than being fat, unhealthy, and medicated.

I have however been this way for my guns. I haven’t bought an off the self rifle in years. I know what I want, buy all the parts to build it up the way I want, and don’t worry about the end price.

· Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
19,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Same here.

I know the parts I like, I build it how I want.

It's my only$$ hobby, so I don't worry about it.
^^^ this times infinity for me — agree wholeheartedly, Shark.

So glad I’m not into boats or cars or airplanes or anything else that costs 10-50x what I spend on my bikes. I can create an amazing human powered machine for just a few thousand dollars — the cycling life is worth whatever it costs me. That said (and like Ben said), I no longer invest in bling. I’ve owned lots of Chris King and XTR in my time but now I choose function & value over flash.

Nobody cares what other people ride, anyway. I’d rather have an optimally functional machine than a pretty one. But if my bike can be functionally perfect AND pretty, well, yeah, I can see doing that. :)
=sParty

· Evolutionsverlierer
3,109 Posts
Same here, all my mtb’s are either pieced together, upgraded, downgraded, switched parts between bikes, build up, build down and everything in between.

So on the list things I have to worry about, the value of my bikes is on page 6, right after 'Am I eating too muchgarlic as a person?
(shameless L. Black rip off).

· Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
19,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Should just ask people if they are rich biker or poor biker......would have saved few paragraphs😂
I personally like a quality bike for my purpose of riding but over the years I've learned spending more doesn't exactly equate to better performing bike or even more reliable😤
humble brag?
I guess people could interpret this thread that way but that’s not my intent.
My bikes aren’t “cost is no object” machines.
Rather, they’re “the right tool” machines, and cost is ignored as much as possible in their creation.
The end result is my goal.
Function over fashion.
Do I consider myself lucky to be able to take this approach?
Yes. I do.
=sParty

· Registered
2,807 Posts
I’m in the process of building up my first frame right now. Or rather, more accurately I’m acquiring parts for a frame up build sometime soon (exact frame TBD).

And I’d be lying if I said I didn’t know how much it cost me. Or at least it would be pretty easy to calculate, but I don’t know the exact number at this exact moment, so I guess that means I qualify?

That said, I do try to choose budget friendly options when I can. Like for this new frame up build? I’ve got a Microshift advent X drivetrain ready to go for it. The cassette, shifter and derailleur cost me under 75% what a new GX eagle cassette alone would have cost.

And the future frame that is TBD, is definitely going to be an alloy one (Privateer 161, Transition Sentienel alloy, stumpjumper evo alloy, or something similar). In an attempt to save some money.

But at the same time, I have a WAO union/Onyx classic set of wheels, with brass nipples, because I believe that they are going to save me money in the long run. Plus it would be lower maintenance (less trueing, no corrosion, etc). So I’m definitely open to spending more where there is a benefit. But the overall goal is still to do the job as cheaply, and reliably as possible.

· Registered
1,174 Posts
I've learned to white lie to family and friends to avoid the awkward exchanges where they walk away thinking I'm insane or weird or both.

So I just say the approximate frame price.

One time unbeknownst to me a second cousin was somewhat savvy and he called me on it and I was like "oh you wanted the COMPLETE bike price? Sorry."

· Registered
2,807 Posts
The misnomer term "alloy" is interesting. Steel is an alloy, aluminum is an alloy as is stainless and Ti.
Yep. I am aware.

But in this case I was using the actual names of the models for the most part.

Ie, the Transition Sentinel Aluminum model is literally called the “Alloy” on their website (it’s part of the name). Same with the stumpjumper evo alloy.

Im not sure why, but it seems in this industry it is used as the term for “Aluminum”.

One of my other hobbies has been camping knives and tools, where the topic is VERY much about which particular alloying elements are used in the steel. But with rare exception in bikes, it seems we hardly talk about the specific aluminum alloy being used (pole, Banshee, and Nicolai are the onlybrands that come to mind that mention using different variants).

· always licking the glass
4,479 Posts
It’s been a long time since i bought an entire bike for either myself or my husband (see? Hes a lucky man :) ). We usually sell frames and then switch the parts off the old bike where possible. No idea what this costs. We get the bikes we want, and upgrade or change things out either as needed or if something no longer serves us (crank length, for instance, means changing cranks).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 99 Posts