Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
I like bikes.
268 Posts
Interesting. Which is more important, fitness or safety? I think they need to do more research, though, to see if the helmet law is actually the cause of the decrease in cyclists.

·
Registered
751 Posts
are there really people running around not riding their bikes because they have to wear a helmet? sounds pretty silly, and if there are such people, i'd be inclined to think they're just looking for any excuse not to exercise in the first place

·
Registered
312 Posts
I wear a helmet regardless. This way, when the kids see me wearing it and riding the way I do, they will want to wear one too. You just have to get to them young enough. Or let them learn their lessons the hard way!

·
Registered
380 Posts
"The overall effect on public health is bad, with less people getting fit by cycling since the laws came in, and more driving."

1. Fewer, not less.
2. Laws are passed; they don't 'come in.'
3. I, for one, look cooler with helmet-head.
4. I was going to type a diatribe about how the argument that helmet laws are wrong because one should be free to take on the risks associated with not wearing one since one is only endangering one's self by doing so, is fallacious because society bears the burden, and the costs are distributed through insurance and other means, but I changed my mind because it's irrelevant to the original post, and because it's late, I'm tired, and this is the worst run-on sentence ever. :eek:

·
wawe member
892 Posts
BontyRider said:
2. Laws are passed; they don't 'come in.'
Complete the following sentence:

The new law, which was passed last month, will _______ ____ effect on January 1st.

A. pass into

B. come into

C. be in full

D. fo rizzle dizzle

:)

·
Work Shed...
563 Posts
I dont wear a helmet for the 1.9 mile ride to and from school everyday, but for every other situation/ride I always wear one. It took two stolen helmets for me to decide not to even mess with it any more. Why do people take the time to cut peoples helmets off their bike locks?? you cant wear them after you get them off... oh well

·
Now broadcasting from CO
1,225 Posts
Interesting...

I for one wear a helmet for anything more complicated then pedaling around my neighborhood and running errands. I think I get laughed at by non-cyclists more for the helmet I wear when doing "serious" rides (road or mountain) than I do for walking out of the main entrance of my school completely clad in lycra. It's very strange come to think of it. The teachers at my school (a boarding school) are very strict with helmet use; they even want you to wear one when pedaling between classes. I am the only one with a bike on campus that probably even owns a helmet, so I get yelled at the most when I am not wearing one... go figure.

·
Registered
756 Posts
If they don't want to wear them, their chioce, and every one knows they are always looking for organ donors. I've seen to many lifes saved by helmets. I will always wear one.

·
Ride what you want!!
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Johnny Hair Boy said:
Anyone who would stop ridding because they have to wear a helmet is an idiot plain and simple.
It's not that they'll stop riding, it's that they won't start riding.

What kills more people each year. Accidents on bikes without helmets, or being fat and lazy? Which costs society more money?

george

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
So if you don't want to start riding a bike because you don't like the helmet, then start jogging. Or wear one of the skate/downhill helmets with the straps undone.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Black Bart said:

The new law, which was passed last month, will _______ ____ effect on January 1st.

A. pass into

B. come into

C. be in full

D. fo rizzle dizzle

Correct:
The new law, which was passed last month, will come into effect on January 1st.

Not so hot:
The new law, which was passed last month, will come in on January 1st.

Different verbs. The second one don't make no sense fo rizzle dizzle!

·
Registered
873 Posts
I'm so old....

...that I rode all through the 70's without a helmut. It wasn't even mentioned. Maybe the odd over protective parent would make junior put on a hockey helmut for his first couple of times out but that was it. I crashed and burned quite a few times and had a few concusions but miracalesly(sp?) I escaped serious injury.

Fast foward 30 years and I'm amazed at the number of cyclists that wear a helmut. Kids and adults. Though it's the law in a few provinces it's mostly voluntarily. Mushroom heads rule!

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
I am all for safety and I wear a helmet and make my kid wear a helmet but these laws are getting too crazy in my opinion. How about if they made them wear full face helmets so they don't get their teeth knocked out? Or full body armor?? Just where does it end? You can legislate everything except for common sense. Get use to this big brother thing. There is no end in sight in my opinion. They start with the little things and then they get bigger.

Now in CA they don't let kids drive other kids around once they get their driver's liscenses. So what do they do? They all drive separate to an agreed upon location and then they start street racing. It seems like every time they try to legislate away a problem they create more.

Would you be in favor of GPS systems standard on all cars connected to the DMV and they would send you a ticket any time you went over the speed limit. Far fetched? Who knows? They could use the old argument that if you are doing nothing wrong then you should not care. And would it not be for the greater good?

·
Registered
478 Posts
fill in the blank with...

e. take :)

Black Bart said:

A. pass into

B. come into

C. be in full

D. fo rizzle dizzle

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
BontyRider said:
If someone would make this t-shirt I'd buy one...
Even though I am not totally with you on the sentiment I have shirts and a heat press where I could make something like this for you. Just PM me and me know. $15 plus shipping. :)

·
Registered
279 Posts
I'd like to see more education and not so many damn laws. I'd love for our town to have some sort of bicycle safety thing at the park. Something, anything. Here they don't have a helmet law.. nor do they educate folks and encourage them to wear helmets.. so I see few wearing them. I do think it should be very much encouraged, yes, but not a law.

1 - 20 of 116 Posts