Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
(long, but together we can make this thread a great knowledge base)

I know we have the review section as well, but this may be a nice alternative way to share our experiences.

So, how many tires do we have to pick from now? Two dozen, on our way to three dozen?

I read lots, but have a hard time keeping up, and can't be the only one. I just found out (after posting on a local forum) that people are already riding Michelins over here.

Let's list the type of conditions (not just related to a US State, please) our tires have proved to work well, or disappoint. especially for the latest dozen of tires, I think knowledge is not so easily available yet.
Also, which tires have you compared back to back?

For instance, I have neither tried the Geax or Michelin. Which to get if I were to purchase 2 tires? One of each, or a pair?

I'll try to write down what comes to mind, please all do the same. Someone can then edit it all together to make it easy to browse.

WTB Weirwolf LT 2.55

Only ridden on moist and dry sand-based trails. It performs great there, handles very naturally, and won't let go unless a wet root is thrown into the mix.
The rear over the same trails, in the "front" position, throws up more dirt than other typical tires, and doesn't offer much traction, even at properly low pressures (think 25psi, 190lb nekked rider)

Bontrager XR front 2.25

The rear is hardly worth buying unless you need lots of traction over dry trails, and want a large, light tire. But I like the front a lot, for dry sandy trails. The tire is cheap to purchase, but is a rear performer. Was the largest 29" tire for quite some time. Loves deep sand, and handles some moist, though not sticky mud. Rolls very decently, many will like it as front and rear. One front I cut the knobs down to half, sideknobs just trimmed, for use as a lame trail rear tire. works great, feels fast. Not advised as a front that way, just no grip.

Kenda Karma 1.9

Wider casing and tread than the Crow 2.0.
Works in many soft-soil conditions, and is my current wet weather race tire (not owning the Geax and Michelin yet). It does clog up a bit, but many a tire makes me suffer worse.
It rolls pretty quick most everywhere, but definately doesn't give me the unlimited grip sensation of the XR front. I like the Karma as a rear for many a non-super-smooth-and-dry condition where the Crow is a bit too much (or little) to me. That goes for the rear when it's wet, and for the front in the less sketchy.
The Karma is the bridge between Crows and other tires to me.
What about the 2.2" version? Who's ridden it, how does it compare?

NoTubes Crow 2.0

Ultra fast. To be used when the Karma 1.9 has it a bit easy.
Don't expect an unridable race tire, it's on par with or better than popular choices like the Schwalbe Fast Fred 26x2.0 (but faster). Time will tell me what the limits are with it's low-pressure design and where I can ride it.
When used as a rear in the wet, where big traction is not required, the speed is phenomenal. No tread to do the vacume trick with every single knob.
I am very glad I have these, so the folks on 26" Flyweights and Racing Ralphs, etc don't have a speed edge over me anymore when the trails turn to race ways. For years 29" was plain slower in racing conditions for me, just because this tire didn't exist yet.

Kenda Klaw 2.1, F+R

Not a particularly modern or high-end tire it seems. Popular for mud. I have tried them much. The front did not disappoint me in a wet race with some serious mud and higher speeds. Just not very versatile, and it seems quite slow rolling. I fear it will be surpassed with by the Michelin and Geax in most ways, from the posts by others to follow.
I've not had conditions to warrant the rear. I've read it's the ultimate traction tool in the wet, and I believe it.

Panaracer Rampage 2.35

I just used it on flat, dry, sand-based trails. As a front, with a Weirwolf for the rear.
Total overkill, could not get it to slide. When I'd miss a corner (it happened a lot), it was because I was attacking it faster than I ever had. The tire gives me great confidence. Stupid confidence. A man cannot lean a bike into a corner that tight, that flat. So I ended up grabbing brake several times.
It took real practice getting steer-in timing right. Too quick meant riding the inner most side of the trail (unexplored territory in bermed corners at such speeds). Too slow meant going wide due to unsifficient lean. Getting it right was quite unreal. No speeds you'd expect from a bike on a trial, on a planet with 1.0G worth of gravity, and all laws of naturefor centriginal forces being applied.
Great fun for group rides over such "lame" trails, but I'm keeping it for the occasion where I **** my pants (steep, rocky, roocky, wet, etc). Perhaps the odd ride/race over artificial trails with gravel/seashell top layer, to open gaps in swooping corners not to be lots on straights. It does make that much of a difference over XC tires, I think.
And they say the Kenda Nevegal is all this, and more...

Bontrager AcX 2.2

My first tire I would use for basic riding that didn't feel super-slow (Kenda Klaw) or understeered (WTB Nano- and Motoraptors). I was not as impressed with 29" until I got this one as a front, unually with a Nano in the back. More cornering lean than a 26"er had ever offered me. The first series of tires went as light as 566g, and disintegrated due to poor quality. I never bought tham again.
Not a fun mud tire, it clogged up on me. Brilliant as a front over dry gravel thought, although as a rear the Nano still seemed to track much better for me, without the knobs. The XR rear I've tried on friend's bikes always seemed better than the AcX, as well as bigger and faster.
I'm sure new AcX's are better quality tires, and nice all-round afordable choices for loose hard pack/gravelly condition on a weight weenie bike, as a front.

WTB Nanoraptor 2.1

The world's first 29" tire wasn't a bad attempt at all. In truely sandy trails, it does great as both a front and a rear. For anything else than really slippery mud, it's a very fast and capable rear. It's propelled me up the steepest hills I've ever ridden, steeper than bystenders had ever seen a 26"er ride UP.
I had been experimenting with reduced knob count (pizza knife cut job) to try and reduce rolling resistance and increase grip/mud shedding for those wet conditions. The Kenda Karma 1.9 has ended that experiment. Still, a great way to lose 35g off your Nano and get it to work better as a front in moist conditions. It seemed to work for me, although I have not tested it back to back with a regular Nano. Sometimes though, cycling is about the mental effect of parts selection/tuning, not the science about it :)
Everyone should own a Nano. The steel beaded ones out there seem to perform just fine. My early 4 folding ones, as light as 572g, all snapped beads on me before I was sure they rode any better. I was impressed by riding tubeless green line Nano's on a friend's bike. Front end grip was definately there, speed sufficient for the Dutch National 2004 -23 championships, on the roughest course we got, and on a rigid alu bike to boot .
Those green line Nano's were a small production only unfortunately. Newer ones may be just as good, I never got any.
A 2.4" Nano would be interesting, but will never happen.
as a front, to me the Nano is understeered, and not confidence inspiring. It doesn't warn. Tests your reflexes in a way that gets your face all facied up from trail marks.

WTB Motoraptor 2.1

I only ever had the steed beaded ones.
Mediocre tire (2nd 29" tire in existence, ca 2000?). I used it in the French Alps, where it seemed to perform relatively well over wet rocky trails. Otherwise a nice old fashioed tire for singlespeed bike photo shoots. Will do nothing better than another tire we can currently choose from. If you don't care for tire performance (then you haven't made it this far into my post), it may be a nicely slow wearing tire that offers you a new challenge for every meter of trail you ride, especially among other riders with whichever other tire in any wheel size :)

Specialized Fast Trak Pro 2.0

The odd one, coming from the ultimate "we don't want cross bikes in the MTB racing scene" company.
Largest 2.0 you'll ever see. A real screamer on pavement. I wish they'd make a softer compound version. Because it's "just" a PRO level tire, grip is not what racers have been getting the 26" version for. Not as fast either, I suspect.
To me, it rolls much like a Nano, but more comfortable. Offers more front end grip, and much more predictable. Definately less rear end traction, at least for the normal front direction I've used it in. The predictability (warns before letting go) makes it a great race choice for me, een it it's not the best tire in any specific condition. On a second or third race lap, I'll be cornering the FT faster than the 26"ers around me, as I've built up experience and know how it feels to work it around corners. No unlimited grip by far, but I get to use all of it efficiently, it seems. The times I've used them, I was always pretty satisfied afterwards. They get the job done, make you feel like a good rider rather than a passenger on a good bike.
Mostly a dry weather choice for me. 26"ers report it to shed decently in the wet. I don't ride much wet though.
Only ride to the trailhead with these if you carry an MP3 player. I'm telling you they're screamers. You've been warned.
I did wash the FT out once. A tight trails between trees (really tight). Uphill, slightly off camber, loose gravel over rock hard pack. I washed out the same way with my favorite frnt tire for the particular trial at the time (AcX), so it's mostly me and my body style, not the FT to blame. Treat the FT with some respect and you'll be fine and going fast around a lap.

You'll notice I only say much about front tires, as that's what counts for my trails and riding style. I find traction with most tires in most conditions.
Granny gear crawlers that do care for rear tire performance, and perhaps can sence the rolling resistance, please do give your input on the tires you've tried.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll have to copy my above reviews to the review section later.

Missing reviews in this thread (I'm sure I forget some) :
Geax Schwewhatsitcalled
Maxxis Ignitor
IRC Notos and Mythos (I rode the Notos too little, long ago)
WTB Exiwolf (just one lame trail lap on it as a front, felt quite stable, uninspriring)
Kenda Nevegal
Schwalbe Little Albert
Continental Vapor
Michelin AT XC
Kenda Karma 2.2 (new 700g actual 2.2 one, original Karama was labeled 2.2 before, now 1.9)

And of course all your personal opinion in addition to mine above, as everyone has other focusses in tires.

·
When did you get here?!?!
1,690 Posts
Tires I've tried...

I've been on a 29er for a little over two years now riding in mountainous, temperate rainforest, conditions. (47" Average yearly rainfall, Average winter temps 47F high, 25F low, Average Summer Temps 83F high 63F low). We ride all year round and deal with rocks, roots, steep ups, steep downs, benchcut, numerous creek crossings, and gravel road grinding on every ride.

Kenda Klaw 2.1 F&R
Good: I chose these tires because of their knobs. They were the largest that I could find at the time. The rear provided good traction while climbing and the front felt a lot like a wtb velocoraptor while descending. You either like that or not... I like it. I found that in the loose stuff and muddy conditions they hooked up rather well.

Bad: Pinch Flat Pinch Flat Pinch Flat! Holy crap I had to bring like, 4 tubes with me on every ride unless I filled them up to 40-50lbs. Also, the sidewalls tore on both the F&R but that could have happened while coming to a stop with a pinch flat.

WTB Exiwolf 2.3 F&R
Good: Volume, surprisingly good traction for such tiny knobs! Largest volume tire at the time. The Exi's hook up great in loose rock, going over rootballs, and in just about every damp to dusty trail condition. They have held up over time very well and have a 'high quality' tire feel. I don't know how to describe that or what to attribute it to... thread count maybe? Anyway, a much higher quality feeling tire than the Kendas

Bad: When really railing into a corner at speed, wet or dry, gravel or singletrack, they reliably let go of the surface and provided a pucker factor of 9. No good in wet slippery conditions either. I ended up on my ass often but rarely had pinch flats. Oh, and they're heavy

Kenda Nevegal 2.3 F&R
Good: Knobs! Volume! Combine the best parts of both of the above tires. Traction in loose rocks, traction in mud, traction over roots, traction on gravel roads. I can really 'push' these tires through the corners. VERY CONFIDENCE INSPIRING.

Bad: They roll heavy even though they weigh less than my exi's. The tread delaminated off the casing after two rides (replaced by my LBS no questions asked).

Is that what you're looking for Clox?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
The Rampage is realy confidence inspiring as a front indeed.
It sure is heavy though.
Cloxxki, are the beads on he Karma as strong as those of the Crow?

·
I am Walt
6,340 Posts
My two-cents worth...

I don't really care about the tire weight, within reason, and don't feel like trying every tire out there. That said, I've tried the WTB Motoraptor (hated them), Maxxis Ignitor, WTB Exiwolf (were good on the RIP until I got the Rampages, so they're decent) and Panaracer Rampage. Here is what I've settled on:

SS (Kona Unit 2-9)
Rampage front/Ignitor rear
- Rampage is a great front tire and will stay
- not entirely sold on the Ignitor, but I'll run it until I wear out the two I have. It is sensitive to PSI - too much and it spins out.
- I will try the Exi in back once I wear out the Ignitors. UPDATE: Switched to the Exi in back after trying the Rampage (see below) and it is excellent as a rear tire on this bike. Rolls well, hooks up extremely well on loose climbs and holds the line.
- Rampage in back seems like it will be too much. UPDATE: The Rampage blows as a rear tire on this bike (still excellent on the back of the RIP though - see below). As good as it is in front, it sucks in back - way too much rolling resistance (and I had the tire turned the "front" way) and cuts loose way too much while climbing, even with the PSI reduced. Durable though, but not worth it. The Ignitor and Exi are better.

FS (Niner RIP9)
Rampage front and back
- love the tire, and works great on this bike
- I'm not screwing with anything else - just sticking with this

FWIW, I run slimed Bonty removeable core tubes. Don't want to experiment and deal with tubeless.

I also find that 29'er tires are much more sensitive to the PSI than 26'er tires. Too much and the ride is harsh and spinny; too low and it's mushy. I tend to run about 28 front/34 rear on the SS and 27/32-33 on the FS. Give or take.

Oh, I'm in Arizona and ride lots of very rocky trails.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just got in the Weirwolf LT 2.55 and Panaracer Rampage 2.35 for my GF Rig. Put them on with the weirwolf front, rampage rear, but alas have not been able to ride due to heavy rain since the day I got them. Might be another week before a proper review of the tires is able to be done.

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
My Experiences....

Geax Saguaro 2.2:

Just mounted these up. 660 grams average for the pair. They are on a 24mm wide rim and aired up to 40 psi, they don't look any wider or more voluminous than my 2.0 Michelin's even though the Saguaro is listed as a 2.2. A bit disappointing in that respect. The tread pattern is somewhat front XR-like. It rolls very well on hard surfaces. The profile of the tire is a bit different with the center rows of knobs being rather flattish and the side knobs are at a dramatic angle to the center section. It looks like a tire that you go from straight up to severely pitched sideways on. I haven't had a chance yet to ride any fast single track on these yet. Mud, if it's sand based or soupy will shed well, but sticky mud clogs pretty quickly. Interestingly, the embossed tire pressure range lists 37psi as the lower limit. :confused:

Michelin XC AT 2.0:

A really interesting tire. I have a thread already started on this one but I will say that this is by far the best mud shedder I have ever ridden 26 or 29 inch. The widely spaced knobs and rounded profile really help in that regard, no doubt. The really cool thing about this tire is the way it rolls well enough that you can afford to just leave it on all the time and you won't suffer any ill effects. Traction is very good. If this tire was wider, I think it would be one of the top picks for rocky, rooty, wet, and techy single track. As it is, it's great for a rear where clearance is at a premium or for wet, loamy, and muddy places. I still like it even on hard pack, though.

Bontrager XR Front and Rear 2.25": Volume, supple casing, and fast tread pattern make this my #1 choice for hardpack, and sand. Front specific tread on the back is the trick set up around here. Great comfort at lower pressure. I love it almost as much on gravel as I do the Nanoraptor. I can comfortably run these in the 30 psi range with no fear of pinch flatting, although I wouldn't want to nick these on any sharp rocks as the casing is thin. Sand is no obstacle to these tires at all. They also float up on mud pretty well but have zero traction on mud.

WTB Weir Wolf 2.55: I haven't had the opportunity to ride these in real dirt but on snow and ice these are killer. I mounted up mine on 28mm wide rims and the footprint is wider than any other tire I've tried. (No surprise!) Side by side with an Exi, they look only marginally wider, but that width works way better than an Exi in snow. I have run these at the lowest pressure of any 29"er tire at 22psi and besides rolling resistance, there was no issues and scads of traction on packed snow and snow/ice pack. Aired up to a more normal, (for me) 32/35 psi and they rolled really well. I can't wait to see about their single track cornering performance once our weather straightens out.

WTB Exi Wolf 2.3:

I've used the Aramid beaded version and the steel beaded version of this pattern. The Aramid beaded version is much suppler and comfy. They both have scads of starightline traction, but the Aramid beaded tires roll way better. I absolutely hate the steel beaded version. The tires let go suddenly and without warning on single track, which has caused me to stop using this tire. In sand, this is the worst tire I have tried, although others report it's great. Interestingly, all the wrecks I've had on 29"ers have been while using this tread pattern. Maybe I just don't get it?

WTB Nanoraptor: Excellent all arounder. If I could only have one tire, it'd be this or the Bonty XR's. corners with a drift on hardpack that's smile inducing if not exceptionally fast. Rolls good but not great just about anywhere except in mud. My favorite gravel road tire. Sand is no problem. Has surprising traction for what it looks like, but not super in that regard. It's easy to see why this was the first pattern chosen to make a 29"er tire with. A classic.

WTB Motoraptor 2.1: My first 29"er tires and another tire that's not really great anywhere, but not bad either. Really long wearing, so if you've gotta run what ya brung on your commutes, these tires are great. Not bad in mud, I found they shed okay and found traction pretty well. Good in softer packed snow. Good on loamy soils. The harder knobs dig in better in those conditions. Tougher casing won't pinch flat as easily as some.

Maxxis Ignitor 2.1: A great all around tire that has an odd trait in that it feels harsher at the same psi as other tires I run. I typically reduce the pressure by about 3-5psi to get back the comfort and supple feeling agian. Traction is excellent in the rear. The front was so-so for me. Works in a variety of conditions but seems best in harder terrain.

·
Bored
1,982 Posts
Nice thread Cloxxki.

My experiences in Ontario trails, which range in soil type (sandy to packed) with roots and occasional rocks (if up north):

IRC Noto's. Fast rolling and comfortable. Small knobs don't let it hook up well in mud, and slide out on off camber trails. Good summer tire on hard pack to rock faces, but with enough volume to float well in sand.

Kenda Klaw (F&R). A slower rolling tire, but incredible grip. Suffers from a lack of volume. Hooks up well in wet stuff as previous posters have mentioned. This tire always lets you know where you are.

Bonti XR 2.25/2.2. Rode these only a little, but enjoyed the ride quality. Rolled well, and with a lot of volume, was very comfortable. Floated well over sandy terrain.

Maxxis Ignitors. Great all around tire. Good volume, and predictable (except on wet grass). Do tend to throw a lot of debris off the front tire.

WTB Exiwolf - front only. Very cushy. A tire that needs to be rolled into the corners, not jammed. Really makes for a more comfortable front end with a rigid fork.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great stuff folks, keep it coming like that!

I wouldn't know which casing is stronger, Crow or Karma 1.9. Both are Kenda-made. I had issues with neither so far, more rides on Karma 1.9. I guess what rips the one will rip the other. Then, I hardly ever rip any tire.

Those Michelins are sounding like winners more and more. The LBs guy warns me Michelins wear out quickly. That's great though, I hardly ever ride, let alone one specific tire, so I prefer high-grip over long-wearing.

·
Professional lurker
218 Posts
I just mounted a set of geax Saguaros on my Voodoo, they work really nice in the shop and my lvingroom! :thumbsup:

IRC Mythos: I absolutely love these tires. Yes, it's an old school (like Smoke/Dart era) tire, but for a smaller carcas it does the right things at the right times.

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
WTB Nanoraptor: A fast tire with good grip considering the size of the "knobs". My "go to" tire for hard pack trails and longer road rides. Slightly too low in volume to be a "serious" off road tire.

WTB Exiwolf: Excellent "general use" tire. Responds well on road at higher pressures and does well off road at low pressures. Has been surpassed for grip by the new generation of tires. It still offers good volume and sets up well as a SS / rigid tire.

Maxxis Ignitor: A nice grippy tire but like the Nano it suffers from a lack of volume. Good grip in the corners in most conditions but has a limit that you can reach if you try. A fairly fast tire, it is a little low in volume for serious off roading.

Panaracer Rampage: One of the new generation 29'er tires. Excellent grip especially in the bends where the bigger side knobs hang on very well. Good volume and a soft cushy ride at lower pressures with good traction in all conditions. Slightly slower on the road because of the bigger knobs. Surpassed only by the .....

Kenda Nevegal: Another new generation 29'er tire, this is currently my outright favourite tire. It has good volume, big knobs, and grips in the corners like no other 29'er tire. Slowest of all on the road because of the big knobs. Excellent in all offroad conditions and fantastic in the corners. This tire has made a huge difference to my cornering speeds simply because of the incredible grip it gives. The only negative is the larger knobs slow you down a little on the road and on hardpack. Apart from that, these are the top of the bunch, imo.

Conditions: Australian trails. Lots of roots and sandstone rocks. Generally dry conditions with dusty and leafy trails. Very tough on tire sidewalls here because of the embedded sandstone rocks. Traction is at a premium as most trails are a sandy-based type. Some wet conditions make the trails like slippery ice especially over the numerous exposed roots and mossy rocks.

R.

·
Bored
1,982 Posts
just want to bump this one back up so more contribute. Make it a sticky maybe?

·
No longer 26
3,090 Posts
Not a lot of experience so far but here goes anyway:

Bontrager XR 2.25 Front: Used on front and reversed on rear, midwest (WI) singletrack, hardtail and FS. A lot of hardpack with areas of roots, rocks and sand. Provide plenty of cornering traction. Climbing traction is good. I am a big fan of larger volume, smaller knob tires for our conditions. Leave a little something to be desired when our trails become snotty. Most tires do. Compare favorably with Scwalbe 26x2.4 Racing Ralphs for speed with better cornering. Not quite as much cornering traction on the fron as 26x2.4 Nobby Nics when the trails are a little slick. Similar in dry conditions.

IRC Notos: Used as back tire only on a hardtail. Was fairly worn when I got it. Still had good climbing traction on local ski hill, hardpack trails. Felt fast.

G

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
i won't go inot every tire i ever owned but i'll just stick to the ones i like.

maxxis ignitor: for me it is THE all conditions niner tire for midatantic eastcoast usa riding. if i had no idea what i was riding i would throw these on as they seem to handle everything pretty damn well.

kenda nevegal: great supergrippy tire that excels in slppy conditions. a bit to heavy and aggressive to use in normal summer conditions around here IMHO.

kenda klaw (rear only): best mud tire ever. ran it most of the winter out back and never found conditions that this tire didn't hook up in. lighter and more nimble than the nevegal without giving up much grip (but defintiely smaller and lighter duty).

so for winter i think my combo of kalw back and nevegal front were the best for grip in the muddy slog. for summer i am gonna try a weirwolf lt up front for hopefully better rolling resistence up front (while still having the volume for some cush with my rigid fork) and a good old ingnitor out back (or maybe dual wierwolfs if the roll and corner well?).

what are all you other east coasties runnin this summer?

·
Birthday Collector
2,610 Posts
Interesting to see that nobody has posted their feedback on the Specialized Resolution 29 x 2.3 tire. I just picked up a pair on Saturday evening. It has been dumping rain here, so if I get them on the bike later this afternoon, I'll try them in the mud (assuming I get home in time to do this and get out before it's too late - don't like night riding in muddy conditions - esp solo).

On the 29'er I've only been using the Exiwolf 2.3 and so far have no real complaints. They roll pretty fast and seem to grip well except in loose conditions, or lots of tree bark/deadfall sticks, etc... where they were a bit sketchy, but still offered enough traction to get through. In coarse, AZ sand on a recent week trip there, they worked well. Haven't had them in the fine silty stuff yet. I'm a tire geek and have used almost everything over the years on my 26" bikes. The only bad thing about 29'ers is that now I will be spending way too much money on tires to try things out... :eek:)

·
3,049 Posts
Conditions: "typical" Arizona and Utah trails; dry, sand and gravel, rocks or all persuasions

Bike: rigid SS

Jones XR 2.2 fronts:
I used a front "backwards" as a rear. Very light and fast, good float on sand and snow, high volume, supple feel, so-so traction in loose rocks and gravel. I found these enormously vulnerable to thorns, cactus, and pinch flats. After two weeks a massive sidwall cut on the front had me chucking them for good.

Nano (wire-b):
Inadequate traction on the front, great as a rear tire. Fast and durable, with surprisingly good traction in all (dry) conditions. I use one on the rear most of the time.

Weirwolf 2.55:
Ideal. Big volume (I use 20/22 psi f/r), cush, traction and especially a blend of speed and durability. Fantastic on deep sand, quite good in snow. Since November they've held up quite well. I keep one on the front permanently, and use one "backwards" in the rear when max float and especially out-of-the-saddle climbing traction is needed.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
ATBScott, I'll be 1st I guess...........

The place to be...... Central Coast of California.

Fav. Tire F & R : Specialized Resolution 2.3 set at 30 F and 35 R
- I think I've found the best (for me) "year-round" tires. :thumbsup:

Next up, the Specialized Fastrack 2.0's F & R at the same psi as the Reso.
- I like em' but I like the Reso. better in every condition.

Lastly the Bontrager Jones XR's both F & R specific, 2.25 and 2.20 (IIRC) Again, same psi as the Reso. & FT.
- They are "Ok" for my conditions (Sea Otter country) but NOT confidence inspiring in the corners. And when it comes to somewhat "sticky" mud I find them to be horrible.

·
Registered
9 Posts
WTB ExiWolf 2.3
Loved this tire. I found it hooked up well on hard pack, roots, loose rocks, flat rocks, and sand (north Texas terrain). Not so inspiring in wet conditions. It is a fairly round tire and I found it very predictable when leaning in. High volume is great on my fully rigid Karate Monkey SS, but you pay for it in weight (over 800g/tire). I ran it down to 28psi front and 30psi rear. I'm 180lbs.
WTB Nano Raptor 2.1
Not as grippy or cushy as the Exi, but dropped a pound off the bike. Round tire. Again, I ran these on my Karate Monkey @ 28psi front and 30psi rear. I think the weight savings is worth it.
Kenda Karma 1.9
I only got 3 rides on them on my AIR 9 before I traded up for the Geax Saguaro. They hook up well in hardpack and rooty conditions. Fast in the right conditions. Round tire. They are too narrow for sand and tend to dig in the deep stuff and let go in the hard corners. When they let go they let go (high pucker factor). Not intended for rocky trails. They feel sketchy over big rocks and tend to give too much feedback at the handlebars. I always felt like I was fighting to keep the bars straight over technical rocky terrain. I ran them at 32psi front and rear on geary w/ Reba up front.
Geax Saguaro
Fast rolling. Round tire. I have 62 miles on them at Terlingua and they hooked up great in the desert sand. I have no complaints on Tres Cuervos either (1000ft rocking fire road climb). Great out-of-the-saddle traction. Good on hardpack and roots. I ran them at 32psi front and rear on geary w/ Reba up front.

I run Stan's Rims tubeless on my AIR 9 and Stan's ghetto tubeless on my SS.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
max-a-mill said:
what are all you other east coasties runnin this summer?
I agree on the Ignitor, great tire all around. Fast, grippy and reliable for the mid-atlantic. I'm in Virginia myself.

I've been running an Ignitor out back and a Neve up front all fall/winter with great results as well.

Didn't care for the the Exi at all.

Ran the WeirWolf this fall when it came out and found it to be terribly loose in the turns. Traction was okay on the climbs. We'll see how it does this summer.

Bonty XR's were okay, except one fatal flaw of having a thin casing that seemed way to prone to thorn flats.

New tires I'll be trying more over the next couple months include the SM8's, Nano, Geax Saguaro.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts