Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Where's Toto?
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The 2007 edition of the Great Divide Race started June 15th at noon at Port of Roosville, Montana. You can find updates posted by Tom Purvis at the first link (transcribed from racer call in's) and Podcast at the second. This year has the largest field to date. Lot's of 29ers, including a few who post on here. Support your favorite racers and enjoy...

http://greatdividerace.blogspot.com/

http://mtbcast.com/wordpress/

What it's all about: starting in Missoula, Montana (on the Canadian border) the riders will be "Following the Adventure Cycling Association's Great Divide Mountain Bike Route, racers will pedal a stupendous 2,490 miles of remote, mountainous terrain along the spine of the continent to the New Mexico/Mexico border. Making the ride even more impressive is the fact that all riders are entirely self-supported - no outside assistance or SAG support of any kind is allowed." http://www.adventurecycling.org/news/greatdividerace.cfm

For those of you who need a pic, here's Dave Nice's GDR prepped Sheep (from http://cellarrat.blogspot.com/)....

Attachments

·
Where's Toto?
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
As of today "...Jay Petervary, Pete Basinger, and Matthew Lee...are well ahead of record pace, and Rick Hunter is "knocking on the door." Definitely an impressive field. Even behind those four who are contenders for the record, there are quite a few of the large starting field who are riding quite well, and who have done a great job of withstanding the wicked weather that characterized the first several days of the race...The whole field is well through the Montana portion of the route, which is tough. As they pass through Idaho and northwest Wyoming, they are facing a new weather challenge. Heat. This could be a real trial as they enter the Great Divide Basin; hot, dry, and with long stretches of exposed, washboarded road."

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
I have been following this race for the past couple of years. Those guys are simply amazing to be putting in those miles, day after day, over that terrain, and carrying all of their own gear!

I would love to read more about what equipment everyone is using. I'm sure there are some 29ers and also some singlespeeds out there.

I'm rooting for the guy who built my 29er, Rick Hunter, keep the pedals turning!

Mark

·
Registered
47 Posts
bikeny said:
I have been following this race for the past couple of years. Those guys are simply amazing to be putting in those miles, day after day, over that terrain, and carrying all of their own gear!

I would love to read more about what equipment everyone is using. I'm sure there are some 29ers and also some singlespeeds out there.

I'm rooting for the guy who built my 29er, Rick Hunter, keep the pedals turning!

Mark
Two SS's for sure: Jeff Kerby and Nathan Bay. Kerby is on a 29er, don't know about Bay . As you already know, Dave Nice is rocking it fixed!

·
highly visible
3,284 Posts
Matt Lee is on a 29"er for sure. Anyone know about any of the other racers' bikes? Last year someone posted photos of several racers' setups from the start and shortly after. Haven't seen anything like that this year.

---

Also, check out the blog. New stuff just posted in the past half hour or so: JP and Pete have had to deal with major construction problems. Apparently the flaggers are forcing cyclists to ride in a pilot car (which would officially count as a DQ under race rules), even though it's a downhill and they can keep up. I presume this is on the downhill out of the Wind Rivers into Pinedale (a road I'm vaguely familar with, having driven it once). JP made it through but really ticked off the flagger, so now she's on a tirade. Sounds like Pete doubled back and re-rode the section after construction hours. This is gonna get ugly when the main pack gets there.

·
AKA jefftron3000
106 Posts
bikeny said:
I started a thread in the Endurance Racing forum with a few pictures of some of the racers bikes from this year and years past

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=309594

.....I'll have to add that picture of Dave Nice's fixie.

·
highly visible
3,284 Posts
Looks like MC has said riding in the pilot car won't be a rules violation. Hope the other racers get the word.

Thanks for the bike pic links, mountainboat.

·
Where's Toto?
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
29ers in this years GDR I'm aware of:

Jon Hurley - Niner
Alex Field - Surly K-Monkey
Matt McFee - Surly K-Monkey
Jay Petervary - Orbea carbon
Pete Basinger - DeSalvo
Matthew Lee - Cannondale
Dave Nice - Black Sheep
Mike Gibney - Moots 29er (w/Rohloff)

The DeSalvo and Orbea look like they have been very well thought out - lots of creative details for comfort and minimalist load carrying capability.

Attachments

·
highly visible
3,284 Posts
More bike pics:

http://www.adventurecycling.org/gdrgallery2007/

I can't really tell a 29" wheel from a distance just by looking at it, but based on the number of Reba forks and Nanoraptor tires (both available in 26", but much more popular in 29") it appears that some or all of the following riders may also be on 29ers: Alex Field, Steve Wilkinson, Bruce Dinsmore, Matt Kemp, Ashley McKenzie, Nathan Bay and Steve McGuire. Also Matt McFee appears to be on a KM and John Hurly appears to be on a Niner. That makes 6 confirmed 29" riders and 7 more possible, encompassing more than half the field.

Nice to see a couple of Midge bars in there too (Rick Hunter, Steve McGuire).

·
Registered
47 Posts
GlowBoy said:
More bike pics:

http://www.adventurecycling.org/gdrgallery2007/

I can't really tell a 29" wheel from a distance just by looking at it, but based on the number of Reba forks and Nanoraptor tires (both available in 26", but much more popular in 29") it appears that some or all of the following riders may also be on 29ers: Alex Field, Steve Wilkinson, Bruce Dinsmore, Matt Kemp, Ashley McKenzie, Nathan Bay and Steve McGuire. Also Matt McFee appears to be on a KM and John Hurly appears to be on a Niner. That makes 6 confirmed 29" riders and 7 more possible, encompassing more than half the field.

Nice to see a couple of Midge bars in there too (Rick Hunter, Steve McGuire).
Dude, you can confirm Kerby too- he's on a Live Wire SS 29er- there's a pic in the GDR thread on the New Mexico forum page.

·
AKA jefftron3000
106 Posts
Here's a cool shot of the cockpit Pete B will be looking at for the next week or so:

Bicycle handlebar Technology Cobalt blue Bicycle accessory Still life photography

.......looks pretty comfortable and well thought out to me, but I imagine nothing feels very comfortable after a couple weeks of bumpy dirt roads.

I like the wrapped ergons......wonder what he used to make the rearward bar-end extensions? PVC?

Here's a shot Jay P sent me, looking down at his ultralight rig:

Transparent material Iron Meadow Sculpture

I custom built him that pack on the bars with a map pocket specifically sized for his cue sheets, and custom attachments built around the curves of his aero bars.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
3034 said:
Mike Gibney rode a moots 29'r with a rohloff hub
I noticed that in the pictures. I love mine. It's a great way to keep trouble free shifting the entire race. I wonder how he feels about the extra weight after 700+ miles though.

·
Where's Toto?
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Attachments

1 - 20 of 41 Posts